AA Male 4.0 165 (What are my chances?)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Wolverine Den

AA Male 4.0 165 (What are my chances?)

Postby Wolverine Den » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:06 am

I have a 4.0 LSAC GPA from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
Graduated summa cum laude with a degree in Economics and Finance (BBA).
I believe my softs to be quite adequate, but not great (I am a phi-beta kappa and I have worked as an Investment Banker at one of the largest hedge fund in NYC for the past year).

I was supposed to take the February 6th LSAT, but given that my geographic region experienced significant inclement weather, I did not get a chance to take the exam until March 6th (My exam was actually postponed twice). This extremely threw me off, as I had to readjust my mindset each time the exam was postponed. My Preptest average was a 174 going into the exam, consequently you can understand my huge disappointment as I was only able to score a 165. Even with adjusting for a drop in scores that normally opccurs after taking the actual exam, I consider such a discrepancy in scores to be a precipitous decline.

I am ONLY applying to HYS. Even though I am an AA male, I really am not comfortable with such a low score and I am seriously considering retaking. What do you guys think my chances are with my score as it currently stands? In addition, do you guys think I should consider retaking? (I am quite positive that I would be able to score closer to my average the next time around, but then again not all LSATS are created equal). Thanks in advance. I welcome all responses.

phoenix323

Re: AA Male 4.0 165 (What are my chances?)

Postby phoenix323 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:10 am

Wolverine Den wrote:I have a 4.0 LSAC GPA from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
Graduated summa cum laude with a degree in Economics and Finance (BBA).
I believe my softs to be quite adequate, but not great (I am a phi-beta kappa and I have worked as an Investment Banker at one of the largest hedge fund in NYC for the past year).

I was supposed to take the February 6th LSAT, but given that my geographic region experienced significant inclement weather, I did not get a chance to take the exam until March 6th (My exam was actually postponed twice). This extremely threw me off, as I had to readjust my mindset each time the exam was postponed. My Preptest average was a 174 going into the exam, consequently you can understand my huge disappointment as I was only able to score a 165. Even with adjusting for a drop in scores that normally opccurs after taking the actual exam, I consider such a discrepancy in scores to be a precipitous decline.

I am ONLY applying to HYS. Even though I am an AA male, I really am not comfortable with such a low score and I am seriously considering retaking. What do you guys think my chances are with my score as it currently stands? In addition, do you guys think I should consider retaking? (I am quite positive that I would be able to score closer to my average the next time around, but then again not all LSATS are created equal). Thanks in advance. I welcome all responses.

Every law school in existence will be fighting for you.

/thread.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:20 am

Wolverine Den wrote:I am ONLY applying to HYS. Even though I am an AA male, I really am not comfortable with such a low score and I am seriously considering retaking. What do you guys think my chances are with my score as it currently stands? In addition, do you guys think I should consider retaking? (I am quite positive that I would be able to score closer to my average the next time around, but then again not all LSATS are created equal). Thanks in advance. I welcome all responses.

I'd let it ride and see what happens. I think you will have no trouble landing one of the T3 schools, but you might also consider branching out to the T6 and see what kind of scholarships are available.

I believe Columbia has one that is a full ride, though I am not sure what it takes to get it. Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to chime in. But Columbia at full ride is a nice option to have.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:44 am

Retake. I don't think it can hurt you ITE to wait one more year, especially if you're confident you can break 170. If you're only applying to HYS, then the difference isn't so much getting in as getting money.
Last edited by vexion on Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:52 am

Congrats on the great GPA and LSAT score. You should definitely re-post everying you wrote in this thread for URM (under-represented minority) 2009-2010 Application Cycle thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=86311. I'm sure someone there can give you advice.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:01 am

Unless the registration deadline passed, taking the June can't hurt you. September is kind of late, but won't kill you either. I mean, even if you score sub-165, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:18 am

vexion wrote:Retake. I don't think it can hurt you ITE to wait one more year, especially if you're confident you can break 170. If you're only applying to HYS, then the difference isn't so much getting in as getting money.

This is incorrect. HYS do NOT give out merit scholarships. All that matters is getting in.

That said, honestly, you'll probably get one of the holy trinity. If you really care which one, then retake because if you break 170 you'll probably pull a trifecta.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:58 am

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:14 am

OneKnight wrote:
vexion wrote:Retake. I don't think it can hurt you ITE to wait one more year, especially if you're confident you can break 170. If you're only applying to HYS, then the difference isn't so much getting in as getting money.

This is incorrect. HYS do NOT give out merit scholarships. All that matters is getting in.

That said, honestly, you'll probably get one of the holy trinity. If you really care which one, then retake because if you break 170 you'll probably pull a trifecta.

Stanford does. My friend had a full ride to Boalt and used it to get leverage on Stanford. Think she got $50k knocked off tuition.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:24 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
OneKnight wrote:

Stanford does. My friend had a full ride to Boalt and used it to get leverage on Stanford. Think she got $50k knocked off tuition.

Wrong. (ish)

I direct you to this: http://www.law.stanford.edu/school/offi ... ncial_aid/
& this for the H-bomb: --LinkRemoved--
& here for Yalus Maximus: http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/Cost ... ialAid.htm

She may have been granted 50K, but it was at least nominally a grant and not merit based aid.
Congrats to your friend, btw, I would kill to be in that position :P

ChildPlease

Postby ChildPlease » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:28 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:no one at a hedge fund would call themselves an "investment banker." i smell smoke.

that said, assuming this is a genuine post, i concur with the advice you've received. while you're all but assured every school other than yale as matters stand, i would suggest retaking and solidifying your prospects. in any case, you are in a profoundly enviable position, both w/r/t admissions and also oci.

TCR

Wolverine Den

Postby Wolverine Den » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:36 am

[quote="APimpNamedSlickback"]no one at a hedge fund would call themselves an "investment banker." i smell smoke.

I want to thank everyone for their responses thus far, I greatly appreciate it. You are definitely correct in ascertaining that most individuals who work at a hedge fund certainly would not describe themselves as "Investment Bankers." However, describing my actual position, "micro cap equity portfolio strategist," would have been absolutely esoteric and unnecessary given that this is simply an LSAT forum. "Investment Banker" is simply an easier term to digest. I assure you that this post is not a flame and is absolutely genuine. Again, I want to thank all the posters for providing their opinions thus far.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 am

Wolverine Den wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:no one at a hedge fund would call themselves an "investment banker." i smell smoke.

I want to thank everyone for their responses thus far, I greatly appreciate it. You are definitely correct in ascertaining that most individuals who work at a hedge fund certainly would not describe themselves as "Investment Bankers." However, describing my actual position, "micro cap equity portfolio strategist," would have been absolutely esoteric and unnecessary given that this is simply an LSAT forum. "Investment Banker" is simply an easier term to digest. I assure you that this post is not a flame and is absolutely genuine. Again, I want to thank all the posters for providing their opinions thus far.

While I'd say your chances are very good at HYS, I'd retake just to make them guaranteed. Basically you have nothing to lose and plenty of time.. so retake and get your chances for the 3 to go from 70% to 90%.

Wolverine Den

Postby Wolverine Den » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:04 am

UMich Ann Arbor doesn't offer Latin honors. Nobody who graduated from there would say they did so 'summa cum laude.'

Again, this is indeed correct. They offer distinctions- (High distinction= magna and Highest distinction= summa, etc). The terminology is equivalent and is not meant to be deceptive in any way shape or form. I employed the "summa cum laude" because this is a more common form. I greatly appreciate the posts, I am a first time poster and I had no idea that crafting a post merely to gauge where I stand would be scrutinized as if it were the constitution. I certainly appreciate all of the responses, but it appears that some of you guys definitely out-think yourselves sometimes.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:43 am

Um, I had no idea hedge funds (buy side) employed investment bankers (sell side). This is either a flame or OP doesn't know what he is talking about.

Edit: Just read OP's explanation... Kinda dumb.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:50 am

Wolverine Den wrote:UMich Ann Arbor doesn't offer Latin honors. Nobody who graduated from there would say they did so 'summa cum laude.'

Again, this is indeed correct. They offer distinctions- (High distinction= magna and Highest distinction= summa, etc). The terminology is equivalent and is not meant to be deceptive in any way shape or form. I employed the "summa cum laude" because this is a more common form. I greatly appreciate the posts, I am a first time poster and I had no idea that crafting a post merely to gauge where I stand would be scrutinized as if it were the constitution. I certainly appreciate all of the responses, but it appears that some of you guys definitely out-think yourselves sometimes.

No. It's a matter of honesty. You misrepresented your credentials. Try HBS instead of law school. You'll find the ethic there just right.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:09 am

Wolverine Den wrote:UMich Ann Arbor doesn't offer Latin honors. Nobody who graduated from there would say they did so 'summa cum laude.'

the constitution?

Where there's smoke there's fire.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:17 am

OneKnight wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:
OneKnight wrote:

Wrong. (ish)

I direct you to this: http://www.law.stanford.edu/school/offi ... ncial_aid/
& this for the H-bomb: --LinkRemoved--
& here for Yalus Maximus: http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/Cost ... ialAid.htm

She may have been granted 50K, but it was at least nominally a grant and not merit based aid.
Congrats to your friend, btw, I would kill to be in that position :P

You're also wrong(ish). You can negotiate need based. But you need leverage (I don't have any!)

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:23 am

I would retake and I would consider adding schools like Columbia to the mix and I would apply EARLY. You have an amazing chance of landing a T10 free ride if you are willing to consider schools other than H/Y/S, especially if you break 170. But regardless, I would retake for insurance. Sounds unlikely, given your PTs, that your score would go down.

james18

Postby james18 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:46 am

Danteshek wrote:Um, I had no idea hedge funds (buy side) employed investment bankers (sell side). This is either a flame or OP doesn't know what he is talking about.

Does it bother anybody else that whenever a URM with high numbers starts asking about chances he is almost immediately accused of being a flame?

I posted about a year ago under a friend's account asking about scholarships in the T14 and got maybe 3 helpful responses and about 30 accusations of making up my numbers. Now I do understand if people just don't know what kind of chances URM applicants with high GPAs or LSATS have because of the small sample size and lack of data, but just say so then...No need to start accusing people of making things up.

OP, if you were consistently practice testing that high, my suggestion is to retake.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:57 am

james18 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Um, I had no idea hedge funds (buy side) employed investment bankers (sell side). This is either a flame or OP doesn't know what he is talking about.

Does it bother anybody else that whenever a URM with high numbers starts asking about chances he is almost immediately accused of being a flame?

Who gets a 4.0 in college and doesn't capitalize Constitution?

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:58 am

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Fri May 07, 2010 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:02 am

OP, your chances of getting into a top flight law school are fantastic, unlike, say, your chances of locating the proper subforum on top-law-schools.com for posting this question. A hint: It's the one called "What Are My Chances?"

badfish

Postby badfish » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:17 am

Retake. If you were indeed averaging a 174, that's enough of a jump to justify retaking, especially if you're only applying to YHS.

dlac

Postby dlac » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:08 pm

That is a sick GPA from UMich. I think you're a lock, son.

Ironically, if you retake it could possibly leave you with more of a dilemma as T6 schools will be throwing money at you left and right.

Return to “What are my chances?”