Serious Consideration (164/3.85)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rtrimm87

Serious Consideration (164/3.85)

Postby rtrimm87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Hello,

I will be starting the application process this Summer/Fall and would really just like some feedback about what would be the top of my range for schools that I would apply too with a somewhat serious chance of acceptance. I've set my floor school to UGA (of which is where I'm really planning to go), and even tho I've used various calculators/predictors, I would appreciate some insight from you all.

Background/Education:
LSAT: 164 UGPA: 3.85
I am currently a Senior Mechanical Engineering student at Georgia Tech. I have a 4.0 at Tech but I did transfer from Georgia Southern University with a 3.74. My cumulative GPA is currently a 3.85, but after my first year I have had a 4.0. I have spent 2 semesters co-oping as a project engineer at a consumer goods company and will be interning at an aerospace company this summer. I have also had two semesters of research. Other than being in a few honor societies and being in a couple of math competitions, that's it for softs.

I am from Georgia and would like to work in atlanta for an IP firm.

Thanks!

AngryAvocado

Re: Serious Consideration

Postby AngryAvocado » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:59 pm

rtrimm87 wrote:Hello,

I will be starting the application process this Summer/Fall and would really just like some feedback about what would be the top of my range for schools that I would apply too with a somewhat serious chance of acceptance. I've set my floor school to UGA (of which is where I'm really planning to go), and even tho I've used various calculators/predictors, I would appreciate some insight from you all.

Background/Education:
I am currently a Senior Mechanical Engineering student at Georgia Tech. I have a 4.0 at Tech but I did transfer from Georgia Southern University with a 3.74. My cumulative GPA is currently a 3.85, but after my first year I have had a 4.0. I have spent 2 semesters co-oping as a project engineer at a consumer goods company and will be interning at an aerospace company this summer. I have also had two semesters of research. Other than being in a few honor societies and being in a couple of math competitions, that's it for softs.

Thanks!

That's far too good of a GPA to waste. How much did you prep for the LSAT? Did you go through the Powerscore books for LR and LG and take at least 15-20 of the most recent preptests? If not, do both of those and retake. It's worth the effort, especially since a 3.85/170+ will open a lot of doors in the T14.

merichard87

Re: Serious Consideration (164/3.85)

Postby merichard87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:08 pm

I agree you could probably raise you LSAT but if you def want ATL then Emory is the way to go. You are 75th for GPA and within median for LSAT. Plus you are MechE and could probably do great things with the TI:Ger program. Honestly if I were you and I was absolutely positive I wanted ATL I wouldn't waste my money applying all over the country. Emory, UGA, Stanford (for the IP angle if you could get the LSAT up) and Berkeley (again the LSAT) would be my only choices.

Re: Serious Consideration

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:09 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
rtrimm87 wrote:Hello,

Background/Education:

Thanks!

That's far too good of a GPA to waste. How much did you prep for the LSAT? Did you go through the Powerscore books for LR and LG and take at least 15-20 of the most recent preptests? If not, do both of those and retake. It's worth the effort, especially since a 3.85/170+ will open a lot of doors in the T14.

4.0 from GT in ME is redic. Go to PhD ME.

rtrimm87

Postby rtrimm87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks for the advice so far.

As far a LSAT prep goes, I took the TestMasters course last semester while co-oping. I have also read the PS Bibles. I am planning on studying again for it during the summer, but it depends on what my practice tests scores are for me to decide whether or not to take it again.

Desert Fox... My original plans for college was the PhD route. And up until a couple of weeks ago, I was in the BS/MS program at Tech. But after looking at the opportunity costs, I couldn't rationalize an extra 2 years before going to law school. As I see it, practicing engineering/research just requires knowledge, but practicing law requires that J.D. Therefore, the J.D. takes precedence.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:36 pm

rtrimm87 wrote:Thanks for the advice so far.

As far a LSAT prep goes, I took the TestMasters course last semester while co-oping. I have also read the PS Bibles. I am planning on studying again for it during the summer, but it depends on what my practice tests scores are for me to decide whether or not to take it again.

Desert Fox... My original plans for college was the PhD route. And up until a couple of weeks ago, I was in the BS/MS program at Tech. But after looking at the opportunity costs, I couldn't rationalize an extra 2 years before going to law school. As I see it, practicing engineering/research just requires knowledge, but practicing law requires that J.D. Therefore, the J.D. takes precedence.

If you want ATL, UGA, not Emory. Save the $ - UGA may give you a free ride (very likely).

Return to “What are my chances?”