Kind of clueless...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dups

Kind of clueless...

Postby dups » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:00 pm

this is my first post, apologies in advance if it isn't up to par...

I am about to begin the application process and am not quite sure what schools I should focus on. Been perusing the boards and gotten some good info, checked the law school "odds of getting in" links and all that, but it is hard to get a consistent read from them.

My stats: 172, 2.82 LSDAS gpa (which is a hair higher than my university gpa, if that matters), biology major at a small private top 20 university, graduated in 2007 and been working ever since in engineering and now research. not a URM. no real excuse for the low gpa, two D's on the transcript from pledging but jr/sr years combined gpa of ~3.5. i have worked my tail off and will get great recs from my bosses, who are very high up academic professionals at the university i am currently working for. i took the LSAT just once and i haven't really thought about taking it again. would like to avoid that if possible...

my real question is what schools i should realistically be looking at. the low gpa is kind of a bummer. i have gathered from these boards that there are some things in my file that might offset that. Northwestern is one that seems to pop up for people who have similar stats. i am pretty hesitant to focus on a top 14 school like that with this gpa. i guess i'm just seeking advice on schools that don't factor gpa as heavily -- it is kind of difficult to pull that info together from all these different threads. any help/advice/direction would be much appreciated.

legalease9

Re: Kind of clueless...

Postby legalease9 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Definitely go NU, but of course have lower level safeties. Where do you want to practice?

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:05 pm

ED to Northwestern. They love 170s and work experience. You would be in a much better position with a 173 though.
Midwest schools love lsat, such as WUSTL and UIUC. With a 172 apply everywhere and hope someone bites. Unless application fees are too much money for you, I would blanket the schools from about 12-30.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:07 pm

dups

Postby dups » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:15 pm

ram jam wrote:http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/users/jd/?a=su&lsat2=173&lsatR=true&lsat1=172&lgpa1=1.00&lgpa2=2.99&workingCycle=0910

had not seen this one. great site, thanks.

as for where i want to practice: no clue. would like a school in a bigger city though, NY, chicago, boston, dc. i think that would open up the options more post-law school. early decision scares me because i am not close to sold on anything yet and from what i gather it doesn't really give you a huge advantage. i am also thinking about paying for this beast, can't imagine getting any money from a school like NU.

Return to “What are my chances?”