Getting off HYS waitlists vs. scholarship

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
guhopefullll

Getting off HYS waitlists vs. scholarship

Postby guhopefullll » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:58 pm

OK, what are the chances for getting off the HYS waitlists? (At all three?) I have no idea about waitlist odds.... I'm 3.9/173. I have to decide if I want to withdraw from waitlists to accept a scholarship very soon (at a t14).

I've been a lurker, but would love any advice y'all might have. Merci bien!

T14_Scholly

Re: Getting off HYS waitlists vs. scholarship

Postby T14_Scholly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:06 pm

Why do you have to withdraw from a waitlist to accept a scholarship?

guhopefullll

Postby guhopefullll » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:52 pm

i guess they want a firm commitment?

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:54 pm

does it say in your intent to enroll form that you have to withdraw from schools to which you have been admitted or that you have to withdraw from all schools to which you have applied?

If the former, then you don't have to make the choice. If the latter, then I'd say a bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

guhopefullll

Postby guhopefullll » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:41 am

yeah, all schools, period.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:43 am

I'd take the scholly and apply to transfer. You'll pay sticker your 2 & 3 L years but if it's what you want....

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:38 pm

I can't imagine those numbers not getting at least one of HYS. Scholly at any T14 is awesome, but won't you always wonder what could have been? How much money are we talking here. If it's like 50K, I'd say wait, but if you're getting anything over half tuition, then I have no fucking clue what you should do.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:42 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I can't imagine those numbers not getting at least one of HYS.

3.9/173? Really? I think numbers like that are getting shut out of HYS like crazy this year. False hope is bad, people.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:46 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:I'd take the scholly and apply to transfer. You'll pay sticker your 2 & 3 L years but if it's what you want....

This is incredibly stupid advice for two reasons:

1) Even from the T14 it's going to be hard to transfer up to HYS. You'll need top 10-15% grades to have a real shot at H or S and from what I've read only people who can make Law Review at their current school tend to get into Y. Given the level of competition at every T14, this is going to be no small feat at all.

2) Transferring destroys the connections you build up during your 1L year. It deprives you of your chance to grade onto LR (which you ought to have a real shot at if your grades are good enough to transfer up to HYS). It means you're starting over completely at your new school. You may be depriving yourself of chances to do things by transferring that you'd be able to do if you'd stayed at your old school. It can be better to be #1 at MVP than just some guy at Yale who doesn't get on the YLJ.

Planning to transfer up is never a good idea, especially not when you're already at a school where success gets you almost anything you ever need. If you're at a lower T1 or a T2 school trying to transfer up makes more sense, but if you're that successful at a T14 it'll likely be better to stay. The time to decide whether to go to HYS was when you applied to law schools.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:58 pm

OK! sorry for dispensing bad advice. my bad :oops:

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:29 pm

These numbers sound more like CCN numbers than HYS numbers without extraordinary softs.

I think you might have to content yourself with CCN.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:28 pm

clintonius wrote:3.9/173? Really? I think numbers like that are getting shut out of HYS like crazy this year. False hope is bad, people.

HYS are really tough to get into. Y and S are probably rejects. Check out LSN and you'll see that there is a lot of green around 3.9 173 at H. I'm not saying he's going to get in, but I would wait. Being content with CCN is a great option though. The transfer advice is bad.

Return to “What are my chances?”