Pro's Con's of applying after graduation. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
planQ

Bronze

Pro's Con's of applying after graduation.

Post by planQ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:56 am

Hi
I am a third year student with an 3.3 gpa, i have not yet taken the actual lsat but on my first Diagnostic with TestMasters i got a 163 (its a diag, but made up of old lsat tests, so take that for what its worth). I have previously was not too committed academically during college but am now getting much more serious, and much more studious.

I have done the math and can, get it up if i commit myself to a 3.5, slightly higher(3.53 )if i take summer school after my senior year.

My question i: does it benefit me to apply the fall after I graduate?

The way I see it is that it gives me several advantages:
1. Higher GPA, from checking out TLS it seems like lots of admissions is a numbers game.
2. Can apply right at the beginning of admissions session to take advantage of the boost rolling admissions gives to early applicants.
3. Will have a summer to perfect my applications and Personal Statements.
4. A year of work will help me at least put a dent in paying for law school.

Any criticism of this idea/advice is appreciated.

-Thanks

Jacktone

New

Re: Pro's Con's of applying after graduation.

Post by Jacktone » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:51 am

Are you saying you can bring your overall GPA to 3.5+ or that you think you can pull a 3.5 in the courses you take next year? If the former, then that should have a large positive impact on your cycle. Make sure you're certain that those summer courses will count as units used towards graduation because after you receive your bachelor's your GPA cannot be changed. The only other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people are having trouble finding jobs ITE. It's certainly still doable, though. Overall your plan to wait a year sounds pretty solid to me.

And to preempt my fellow TLS posters: study for the lsat, study for the lsat, study for the lsat!!!

planQ

Bronze

Re: Pro's Con's of applying after graduation.

Post by planQ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:27 am

Jacktone wrote:Are you saying you can bring your overall GPA to 3.5+ or that you think you can pull a 3.5 in the courses you take next year? If the former, then that should have a large positive impact on your cycle. [...]

And to preempt my fellow TLS posters: study for the lsat, study for the lsat, study for the lsat!!!
It is the former, my overall, assuming I take a full class load, but with an emphasis on taking easy grade wise classes and continue working as hard as I have been I should be able to pull it up to an over all of a 3.5.

As to the lsat, studying for it is what i am doing instead of going to vegas this weekend or going out this friday...

Thanks!

Return to “What are my chances?”