Mom wants Info

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Annoying mom

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby Annoying mom » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Well thanks to anyone who bothered to give me a civil reply. No I am not some crazy parent. Just planning a trip to visit some baseball parks on this side of the US and thought it might be economical and educational to also visit some law schools. For the nasties: he had 3 summer jobs last summer, including one in sports. Big fan. Unlike the drunkard, he is appreciative of his good fortune and doesn't mind being with us. On our other travels we have met many other parents with college students along for the ride. I just feel sorry for you. None of you know our family situation but he is younger than anyone he knows at school. I was referred to this site by a friend/parent. I still was wondering, I can understand why you wouldn't want to visit a school until you got in but what if you get in to a bunch? I just thought you may not have enough time.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Various schools have their strengths and weaknesses, things like placement in large law firms or clerkships/academia or public interest or placement in specific markets. Once your son has been admitted to various schools, he can then decide what school will provide the best opportunity for him to do what he wants (for instance, if he wants to work at a large firm in Chicago and is admitted to UofC or NU, then that is probably worth a visit, but maybe Berkeley might not be for that specific instance). Once he has got a general idea of this, you could then visit just the schools that provide what he is looking for. I doubt anyone visits all of the top schools, even if admitted to all of them. Good luck.

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:40 pm

1 - I'm not a drunk, I just spent a large part of one summer drunk.

2 - I knew I should have kept my Doogie Howser comment in my post, especially if I was being lumped in with the nasties.

3 - That's great that you have a close family, really it is, and I am not being sarcastic, although it probably looks like I am.

4 - Road-tripping to various law schools in the months they are off won't really help you learn much about the law school, other than what it looks like from the outside, which you can see on-line. In order for your child to make a truely educated decision, you need to be there when classes are full-on in session, when you can interact with the students and get a feel for the school culture and environment, and that isn't during the summer months. As for the "after you get in" part, yes, it can get tight, but your child should have an idea of which schools he/she is interested in, and visit those schools. Just because he/she is accepted to a school does not mean that the school is worthy of his/her time.

Postby 06162014123 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:58 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Annoying mom

Postby Annoying mom » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Redshift, he is away at college and has no idea I posted here. He did not ask me to gather any info. I am trying to plan a trip to some MLB cities and was thinking it might be useful to do double duty. That is all this is about. I am not applying to school for him nor interested in influencing his choice. Just know he is looking at top 15 and thought it might be easier and more economical to visit the more distant ones if we are going to be in the area. I haven't shared any of this with him, it was just something I did today (mea culpa), except to tell him we are going to visit some of the newer ballparks on a trip. Why is any of this a reflection on him?????? I find all of these negative posts bizarre. I will make sure to never again commit such as sin as to be interested in my child. But I do appreciate all the positive posts. My friend's kids are in Med school and they never told me about school visits paid by the schools. Thank you!

P.S Redshift. I don't recall EVER claiming he was intelligent or capable :D

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Annoying mom wrote:...(stuff) I find all of these negative posts bizarre.(stuff) ...

Welcome to an internet message board, a place where a regular person meets anonymity and an audience and it turns them into a raging douche. Its a funny thing. You just have to ignore it and take what you find valuable.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:29 pm

Annoying mom wrote:Redshift, he is away at college and has no idea I posted here. He did not ask me to gather any info. I am trying to plan a trip to some MLB cities and was thinking it might be useful to do double duty. That is all this is about. I am not applying to school for him nor interested in influencing his choice. Just know he is looking at top 15 and thought it might be easier and more economical to visit the more distant ones if we are going to be in the area. I haven't shared any of this with him, it was just something I did today (mea culpa), except to tell him we are going to visit some of the newer ballparks on a trip. Why is any of this a reflection on him?????? I find all of these negative posts bizarre. I will make sure to never again commit such as sin as to be interested in my child. But I do appreciate all the positive posts. My friend's kids are in Med school and they never told me about school visits paid by the schools. Thank you!

haha w/ TLS, it's usually like sifting through crap for gold...but the gold nuggets ARE there

best of luck to your son for his app cycle!

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:If your mom has to front all of your 0L expenses, you shouldn't be entering law school yet. You should be getting a job.

It's great that his mother is so supportive, but it's just overall kind of weird. This isn't college, it's a professional degree program. This son should be doing this stuff himself.

Shiiit.. I would gladly take a free education over loans and my job.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Annoying mom wrote:Redshift, he is away at college and has no idea I posted here. He did not ask me to gather any info. I am trying to plan a trip to some MLB cities and was thinking it might be useful to do double duty. That is all this is about. I am not applying to school for him nor interested in influencing his choice. Just know he is looking at top 15 and thought it might be easier and more economical to visit the more distant ones if we are going to be in the area. I haven't shared any of this with him, it was just something I did today (mea culpa), except to tell him we are going to visit some of the newer ballparks on a trip. Why is any of this a reflection on him?????? I find all of these negative posts bizarre. I will make sure to never again commit such as sin as to be interested in my child. But I do appreciate all the positive posts. My friend's kids are in Med school and they never told me about school visits paid by the schools. Thank you!

Lots of insecure and nasty folks around here. I cringe for the future of the legal profession.
Also some good folks with good advice.
Anyway, sound like a great trip!

kenson

Postby kenson » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:20 pm

somehow I doubt op will be back, but just out of curiosity does he live with you?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:26 pm

Annoying mom wrote:Unlike the drunkard
^that was funny as shit
Bert wrote:truely educated
as was that. Somebody's having an off-day.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:22 am

The fact that so many TLSers responded so critically to a parent taking an interest in their son's life makes me lol at what a joke some of you are. Kids are so depressed and negative that you just have to spread it around... I think I know where the next generation of attorney drunks/cutters/jumpers are coming from.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:03 pm

beach_terror wrote:The fact that so many TLSers responded so critically to a parent taking an interest in their son's life makes me lol at what a joke some of you are. Kids are so depressed and negative that you just have to spread it around... I think I know where the next generation of attorney drunks/cutters/jumpers are coming from.

This is TLS, a full third of all posts are trolling.

But also having your mommy do research for law school for you is embarrassing. It shows a lack of maturity in her son.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:36 pm

beach_terror wrote:I think I know where the next generation of attorney drunks/cutters/jumpers are coming from.

Is it from the people whose moms live their lives and make their decisions for them, and then can't deal with reality when it finally hits them like a ton of bricks and mommy's not there to tell them what to do?
Annoying mom wrote:Unlike the drunkard, he is appreciative of his good fortune and doesn't mind being with us... I just feel sorry for you.

I do like that this mom isn't afraid to get dirty and sling some feces as well.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

But also having your mommy do research for law school for you is embarrassing. It shows a lack of maturity in her son.

I get that, but the mom said she's doing this independently. There's no reason to throw disrespect toward a mother, who is just trying to do some research on her own, and a son who you don't know (and for all you know, could have already done his research). Just because a parent takes an interest in something doesn't mean the kid is just floating by. The kid got a 172 on his LSAT, pretty sure he's smart enough to do some looking on his own.

Is it from the people whose moms live their lives and make their decisions for them, and then can't deal with reality when it finally hits them like a ton of bricks and mommy's not there to tell them what to do?

LOLWUT. OVERDRAMATIC MUCH? FUCK, HIS MOM IS INDEPENDENTLY DOING RESEARCH ON LAW SCHOOLS, HE MUST BE A MOMMA'S BOY AND INCAPABLE OF LIVING IN THE REAL WORLD. SHIT MAN, YOU'RE TOTALLY RIGHT. :roll: (had to cruise control to cool there).

The way some of you kids twist and turn posts on here so you can act like e-thugs, and douchebags generally, is seriously pathetic. It's like "hey, I don't have anything useful or constructive to add, so I'm going to act like I'm somehow superior to this person, yeah man, then my fellow pessimistic-TLSers might think I'm e-cool".
Last edited by beach_terror on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

holborn

Postby holborn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
beach_terror wrote:The fact that so many TLSers responded so critically to a parent taking an interest in their son's life makes me lol at what a joke some of you are. Kids are so depressed and negative that you just have to spread it around... I think I know where the next generation of attorney drunks/cutters/jumpers are coming from.

I believe the mom noted that her son had no idea she was posting anything. for all we know, the son has been doing research all on his own, already knows where he wants to apply, visit, etc. hell, he might even have a TLS account. I personally don't see an issue with all of this, but if its a reflection on anyone, its a reflection on the mom, not the son.

JTX

Postby JTX » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:04 pm

beach_terror wrote: The way some of you kids twist and turn posts on here so you can act like e-thugs, and douchebags generally, is seriously pathetic. It's like "hey, I don't have anything useful or constructive to add, so I'm going to act like I'm somehow superior to this person, yeah man, then my fellow pessimistic-TLSers might think I'm e-cool".

I'm e-cool. my mom tells me so.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Ugh! Mom!

Sorry TLS, I've told her she needs to stop being so weird about my law school decision and just let me go where I want. She wants me to go with her on this "baseball park trip" halfway across the country and I already told her no. Mom, if your reading this, I stopped playing little league when I was twelve. Kthksbye

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:13 pm

beach_terror wrote: It's like "hey, I don't have anything useful or constructive to add, so I'm going to act like I'm somehow superior to this person, yeah man, then my fellow pessimistic-TLSers might think I'm e-cool".

:lol:

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:

LOLWUT. OVERDRAMATIC MUCH? FUCK, HIS MOM IS INDEPENDENTLY DOING RESEARCH ON LAW SCHOOLS, HE MUST BE A MOMMA'S BOY AND INCAPABLE OF LIVING IN THE REAL WORLD. SHIT MAN, YOU'RE TOTALLY RIGHT. :roll: (had to cruise control to cool there).

The way some of you kids twist and turn posts on here so you can act like e-thugs, and douchebags generally, is seriously pathetic. It's like "hey, I don't have anything useful or constructive to add, so I'm going to act like I'm somehow superior to this person, yeah man, then my fellow pessimistic-TLSers might think I'm e-cool".

For the record, I didn't attack or jundge anyone. I was going to leave this thread alone until you made the comment about suicidal lawyers based on how bitter/pessimistic people who browse this one particular website sometimes behave. You should have realized that all I was doing was holding up a mirror to how ridiculous and overdramatic your post was. Also, come on, ALL CAPS ISN'T OVERDRAMATIC!?!??!?! Good job on the cruise control, bro (e: your mom must be proud--couldn't help that).

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:54 pm

ughOSU wrote:For the record, I didn't attack or jundge anyone. I was going to leave this thread alone until you made the comment about suicidal lawyers based on how bitter/pessimistic people who browse this one particular website sometimes behave. You should have realized that all I was doing was holding up a mirror to how ridiculous and overdramatic your post was. Also, come on, ALL CAPS ISN'T OVERDRAMATIC!?!??!?! Good job on the cruise control, bro (e: your mom must be proud--couldn't help that).

If you couldn't catch that the suicidal statement was intentionally hyperbolic, then word (although that sort of correlation wouldn't be bad for the profession). And "for the record", your post was pretty implicit. I was calling out the douchers for being douches to a mom asking legit questions for her own benefit, and you came in responded directly to me, and claimed that momma's boys (like the OP's son is claimed to be by said douchers) are incapable of dealing with reality. So whether or not you were intentionally contributing to the things I found pathetic/ridiculous, you absolutely did. Thanks for the playing though, it was a valiant effort.

And yes, my mom is very proud of me. She tells me that average people are the most special of all, and that's why god made so many of them.

Bert

Postby Bert » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:21 pm

clintonius wrote:
Annoying mom wrote:Unlike the drunkard
^that was funny as shit
Bert wrote:truely educated
as was that. Somebody's having an off-day.

+1 on that. Miserable day all around, but don't worry, I think I got things back in order.

Return to “What are my chances?”