Mom wants Info

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:10 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:Sounds like it's about time to cut off that umbilical cord of his?


sounds like time to be less judgmental of other ppl's parenting styles?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Teoeo wrote:
Amelie wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
Annoying mom wrote:Thanks for all the quick responses. Mom is posting because mom holds the credit card and is trying to plan some visits :) :roll: Only plan to visit a few becuase I do agree that it makes sense to wait til you are admitted but I am looking to save $ and do it when we have time. Only plan to visit the ones that aren't close (Mich for ex.) Just wanted to know how good some of the data on these sites are and what you all thought.


With his numbers, and if he writes some of the optional essays for Mich, he has a great shot at getting a full darrow =), which I would KILL for.

This really isn't true...
Though he would most likely get half tuition at Michigan.


Ok, ITE, medians HAVE gone up, but he could still pull it off =D


Teoeo wrote:Every school up till Stanford for sure, and an ok shot at HYS. Probably could get a full ride at a school like Michigan/Duke


teoeo, where are you getting your info from? lol i have to disagree w/ all of it

ok shot at HYS? hardly, they barely dip below 3.8 GPAs for even those w/ 175+ LSATs, much less a 172...

khanvalescent
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:05 am

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby khanvalescent » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Would a "mom" really know of--and use--the terms, "$$" and "$$$"?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:If your mom has to front all of your 0L expenses, you shouldn't be entering law school yet. You should be getting a job.

It's great that his mother is so supportive, but it's just overall kind of weird. This isn't college, it's a professional degree program. This son should be doing this stuff himself.


i hear this sentiment SO much on TLS, but i guess it is more a reflection of american thinking than anything else (yay independence)

i dont know the details or specifics of their family...and neither do you

until then, stop doling out judgmental dribble - it's offensive

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:17 pm

jks289 wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:Sounds like it's about time to cut off that umbilical cord of his?

MTal wrote:You must be SO proud of your little trooper! You always knew he was a smarty growing up and now he's going to a top law school and will be bigshot Lawyer!! Your friends and acquaintences must be simply green with envy! One thing you might want to think about though is location. Occasionally your little pride and joy may run out of clean underwear, and then where would he be without his mommy to set everything right? I would suggest he go to school not farther than a few blocks away from your home where your watchful eye and stern but loving gaze will keep him out of trouble. Hope that helps!


It's too bad your mother didn't love you enough, but no need to take it out on someone else's...


I hate to defend MTal here, but you all must be thinking the same thing. I didn't comment on it since she didn't solict opinions on this and for all we know he could be a 17 years old prodigy and this is completely legit. But if not, and he is in fact an adult who is graduating from college and venturing out into the world, let us (his peers) all do her son the favor of saying "This is a little nutty." Paying for the visits? Awesome! We should all be so lucky! Taking an interest is the important decision of his life? Super! But coming to an internet message board to help him decide where to apply and going along to visit schools? A bit much.


i was going to disagree until the last 2 lines...coming on the TLS was prob the oddest thing about the whole situation, but still, like you said yourself, she didnt solicit advice on how to run her family

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:18 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:sounds like time to be less judgmental of other ppl's parenting styles?


DoubleChecks wrote:i hear this sentiment SO much on TLS, but i guess it is more a reflection of american thinking than anything else (yay independence)

i dont know the details or specifics of their family...and neither do you

until then, stop doling out judgmental dribble - it's offensive


When do I get to be berated/lectured?

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:18 pm

+1 to everything DoubleChecks has said ITT.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:19 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:sounds like time to be less judgmental of other ppl's parenting styles?


DoubleChecks wrote:i hear this sentiment SO much on TLS, but i guess it is more a reflection of american thinking than anything else (yay independence)

i dont know the details or specifics of their family...and neither do you

until then, stop doling out judgmental dribble - it's offensive


When do I get to be berated/lectured?


as soon as my mom gets online for me and handles the lecturing :wink:

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby jks289 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
jks289 wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:Sounds like it's about time to cut off that umbilical cord of his?

MTal wrote:You must be SO proud of your little trooper! You always knew he was a smarty growing up and now he's going to a top law school and will be bigshot Lawyer!! Your friends and acquaintences must be simply green with envy! One thing you might want to think about though is location. Occasionally your little pride and joy may run out of clean underwear, and then where would he be without his mommy to set everything right? I would suggest he go to school not farther than a few blocks away from your home where your watchful eye and stern but loving gaze will keep him out of trouble. Hope that helps!


It's too bad your mother didn't love you enough, but no need to take it out on someone else's...


I hate to defend MTal here, but you all must be thinking the same thing. I didn't comment on it since she didn't solict opinions on this and for all we know he could be a 17 years old prodigy and this is completely legit. But if not, and he is in fact an adult who is graduating from college and venturing out into the world, let us (his peers) all do her son the favor of saying "This is a little nutty." Paying for the visits? Awesome! We should all be so lucky! Taking an interest is the important decision of his life? Super! But coming to an internet message board to help him decide where to apply and going along to visit schools? A bit much.


i was going to disagree until the last 2 lines...coming on the TLS was prob the oddest thing about the whole situation, but still, like you said yourself, she didnt solicit advice on how to run her family


Yes, but I think it is okay when these threads open up into slightly larger discussions about issues pertinent to law students. Obviously everyone make their own choices, but it is worthwhile to read diverse opinions. And questions about age, financial considerations, and independence all play a role that is worthy of discussion. That said, I didn't intend to attack the OP, for all we know this could be a more complicated situation, which is why I included the caveat that "If he is an adult" when doling out my unsolicited advice.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:as soon as my mom gets online for me and handles the lecturing :wink:


Boo. I want my scolding on demand.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby Teoeo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Alright, I grant that I was being optimistic, lol. I wish people would be nicer on here though.

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby KibblesAndVick » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Teoeo wrote:Alright, I grant that I was being optimistic, lol. I wish people would be nicer on here though.


They could easily be a black family. Never back down, you want to be a lawyer god damn it!

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby acdisagod » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 pm

come on, wats wrong with a mom asking a few questions. She's just curious about her son's future (and perhaps her $$ that she will be putting toward his tuition) she's not babying him.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:32 pm

A lot of MILF white knighting ITT

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby dk8 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:A lot of MILF white knighting ITT

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:If your mom has to front all of your 0L expenses, you shouldn't be entering law school yet. You should be getting a job.

It's great that his mother is so supportive, but it's just overall kind of weird. This isn't college, it's a professional degree program. This son should be doing this stuff himself.

We don't know if she HAS to or if she is CHOOSING to. Big difference and nothing wrong with the latter.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby AngryAvocado » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:05 pm

ITT: Bitter people denigrating a mother acting on behalf of her 20-something child whilst Asian people defend "involved" parents

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Why? Were they mad because you were admitted to NU or because you were not admitted to schools ranked higher by USNews?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Shiiiiiit. My parents were PISSED at me for getting into Northwestern. Seriously.

I wish my family was as supportive as this mom. And that's not white-knighting, that's just the truth.


Haha my family bought me a cake when I got in.

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby Bert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Can find the ASD post I'm looking for, but this is surely the precursor to crazy mom at ASD talking about how much much more money her son should be getting. Seriously? Summer trips with your parents during your junior year summer? I was barely sober my junior year summer, and I definitely didn't want to be traveling with my parents. Somethings not quite right here.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Umm... flame?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby im_blue » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Good chance at every school outside the top 3 (Yale, Harvard, Stanford).

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Shiiiiiit. My parents were PISSED at me for getting into Northwestern. Seriously.

I wish my family was as supportive as this mom. And that's not white-knighting, that's just the truth.


Haha my family bought me a cake when I got in.

I wish I got a cake! Mine said congratulations and then proceeded to remind me that the two elite schools I applied to for undergrad rejected me (in an attempt to make me feel vindicated now that I'm in what was 4 top ten schools at the time).

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:15 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:ITT: Bitter people denigrating a mother acting on behalf of her 20-something child whilst Asian people defend "involved" parents


i dont get the quotes lol

jks289 wrote:Yes, but I think it is okay when these threads open up into slightly larger discussions about issues pertinent to law students. Obviously everyone make their own choices, but it is worthwhile to read diverse opinions. And questions about age, financial considerations, and independence all play a role that is worthy of discussion. That said, I didn't intend to attack the OP, for all we know this could be a more complicated situation, which is why I included the caveat that "If he is an adult" when doling out my unsolicited advice.


most of it i wouldnt mind...it is more the tone of some posters that always irks me (it isnt just in this thread about this subject). i mean, of course there would be differences of opinion.

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Mom wants Info

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Shiiiiiit. My parents were PISSED at me for getting into Northwestern. Seriously.

I wish my family was as supportive as this mom. And that's not white-knighting, that's just the truth.


Haha my family bought me a cake when I got in.


I will buy you a cake, NR. :wink:




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests