Mom wants Info Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DoubleChecks

Gold

Re: Mom wants Info

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:10 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:Sounds like it's about time to cut off that umbilical cord of his?
sounds like time to be less judgmental of other ppl's parenting styles?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Teoeo wrote:
Amelie wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
Annoying mom wrote:Thanks for all the quick responses. Mom is posting because mom holds the credit card and is trying to plan some visits :) :roll: Only plan to visit a few becuase I do agree that it makes sense to wait til you are admitted but I am looking to save $ and do it when we have time. Only plan to visit the ones that aren't close (Mich for ex.) Just wanted to know how good some of the data on these sites are and what you all thought.
With his numbers, and if he writes some of the optional essays for Mich, he has a great shot at getting a full darrow =), which I would KILL for.
This really isn't true...
Though he would most likely get half tuition at Michigan.
Ok, ITE, medians HAVE gone up, but he could still pull it off =D
Teoeo wrote:Every school up till Stanford for sure, and an ok shot at HYS. Probably could get a full ride at a school like Michigan/Duke
teoeo, where are you getting your info from? lol i have to disagree w/ all of it

ok shot at HYS? hardly, they barely dip below 3.8 GPAs for even those w/ 175+ LSATs, much less a 172...

khanvalescent

New

Post by khanvalescent » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Would a "mom" really know of--and use--the terms, "$$" and "$$$"?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:If your mom has to front all of your 0L expenses, you shouldn't be entering law school yet. You should be getting a job.

It's great that his mother is so supportive, but it's just overall kind of weird. This isn't college, it's a professional degree program. This son should be doing this stuff himself.
i hear this sentiment SO much on TLS, but i guess it is more a reflection of american thinking than anything else (yay independence)

i dont know the details or specifics of their family...and neither do you

until then, stop doling out judgmental dribble - it's offensive

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:17 pm

jks289 wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:Sounds like it's about time to cut off that umbilical cord of his?
MTal wrote:You must be SO proud of your little trooper! You always knew he was a smarty growing up and now he's going to a top law school and will be bigshot Lawyer!! Your friends and acquaintences must be simply green with envy! One thing you might want to think about though is location. Occasionally your little pride and joy may run out of clean underwear, and then where would he be without his mommy to set everything right? I would suggest he go to school not farther than a few blocks away from your home where your watchful eye and stern but loving gaze will keep him out of trouble. Hope that helps!
It's too bad your mother didn't love you enough, but no need to take it out on someone else's...
I hate to defend MTal here, but you all must be thinking the same thing. I didn't comment on it since she didn't solict opinions on this and for all we know he could be a 17 years old prodigy and this is completely legit. But if not, and he is in fact an adult who is graduating from college and venturing out into the world, let us (his peers) all do her son the favor of saying "This is a little nutty." Paying for the visits? Awesome! We should all be so lucky! Taking an interest is the important decision of his life? Super! But coming to an internet message board to help him decide where to apply and going along to visit schools? A bit much.
i was going to disagree until the last 2 lines...coming on the TLS was prob the oddest thing about the whole situation, but still, like you said yourself, she didnt solicit advice on how to run her family

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:18 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:sounds like time to be less judgmental of other ppl's parenting styles?
DoubleChecks wrote:i hear this sentiment SO much on TLS, but i guess it is more a reflection of american thinking than anything else (yay independence)

When do I get to be berated/lectured?

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:18 pm

+1 to everything DoubleChecks has said ITT.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:19 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:sounds like time to be less judgmental of other ppl's parenting styles?
DoubleChecks wrote:i hear this sentiment SO much on TLS, but i guess it is more a reflection of american thinking than anything else (yay independence)

When do I get to be berated/lectured?
as soon as my mom gets online for me and handles the lecturing :wink:

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
jks289 wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
MTal wrote:You must be SO proud of your little trooper! You always knew he was a smarty growing up and now he's going to a top law school and will be bigshot Lawyer!! Your friends and acquaintences must be simply green with envy! One thing you might want to think about though is location. Occasionally your little pride and joy may run out of clean underwear, and then where would he be without his mommy to set everything right? I would suggest he go to school not farther than a few blocks away from your home where your watchful eye and stern but loving gaze will keep him out of trouble. Hope that helps!
It's too bad your mother didn't love you enough, but no need to take it out on someone else's...
I hate to defend MTal here, but you all must be thinking the same thing. I didn't comment on it since she didn't solict opinions on this and for all we know he could be a 17 years old prodigy and this is completely legit. But if not, and he is in fact an adult who is graduating from college and venturing out into the world, let us (his peers) all do her son the favor of saying "This is a little nutty." Paying for the visits? Awesome! We should all be so lucky! Taking an interest is the important decision of his life? Super! But coming to an internet message board to help him decide where to apply and going along to visit schools? A bit much.
i was going to disagree until the last 2 lines...coming on the TLS was prob the oddest thing about the whole situation, but still, like you said yourself, she didnt solicit advice on how to run her family
Yes, but I think it is okay when these threads open up into slightly larger discussions about issues pertinent to law students. Obviously everyone make their own choices, but it is worthwhile to read diverse opinions. And questions about age, financial considerations, and independence all play a role that is worthy of discussion. That said, I didn't intend to attack the OP, for all we know this could be a more complicated situation, which is why I included the caveat that "If he is an adult" when doling out my unsolicited advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:as soon as my mom gets online for me and handles the lecturing :wink:
Boo. I want my scolding on demand.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Alright, I grant that I was being optimistic, lol. I wish people would be nicer on here though.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Teoeo wrote:Alright, I grant that I was being optimistic, lol. I wish people would be nicer on here though.
They could easily be a black family. Never back down, you want to be a lawyer god damn it!

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 pm

come on, wats wrong with a mom asking a few questions. She's just curious about her son's future (and perhaps her $$ that she will be putting toward his tuition) she's not babying him.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:32 pm

A lot of MILF white knighting ITT

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:A lot of MILF white knighting ITT

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:If your mom has to front all of your 0L expenses, you shouldn't be entering law school yet. You should be getting a job.

It's great that his mother is so supportive, but it's just overall kind of weird. This isn't college, it's a professional degree program. This son should be doing this stuff himself.
We don't know if she HAS to or if she is CHOOSING to. Big difference and nothing wrong with the latter.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:05 pm

ITT: Bitter people denigrating a mother acting on behalf of her 20-something child whilst Asian people defend "involved" parents

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Why? Were they mad because you were admitted to NU or because you were not admitted to schools ranked higher by USNews?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Shiiiiiit. My parents were PISSED at me for getting into Northwestern. Seriously.

I wish my family was as supportive as this mom. And that's not white-knighting, that's just the truth.
Haha my family bought me a cake when I got in.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Can find the ASD post I'm looking for, but this is surely the precursor to crazy mom at ASD talking about how much much more money her son should be getting. Seriously? Summer trips with your parents during your junior year summer? I was barely sober my junior year summer, and I definitely didn't want to be traveling with my parents. Somethings not quite right here.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Umm... flame?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Good chance at every school outside the top 3 (Yale, Harvard, Stanford).

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Shiiiiiit. My parents were PISSED at me for getting into Northwestern. Seriously.

I wish my family was as supportive as this mom. And that's not white-knighting, that's just the truth.
I wish I got a cake! Mine said congratulations and then proceeded to remind me that the two elite schools I applied to for undergrad rejected me (in an attempt to make me feel vindicated now that I'm in what was 4 top ten schools at the time).

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:15 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:ITT: Bitter people denigrating a mother acting on behalf of her 20-something child whilst Asian people defend "involved" parents
i dont get the quotes lol
jks289 wrote: Yes, but I think it is okay when these threads open up into slightly larger discussions about issues pertinent to law students. Obviously everyone make their own choices, but it is worthwhile to read diverse opinions. And questions about age, financial considerations, and independence all play a role that is worthy of discussion. That said, I didn't intend to attack the OP, for all we know this could be a more complicated situation, which is why I included the caveat that "If he is an adult" when doling out my unsolicited advice.
most of it i wouldnt mind...it is more the tone of some posters that always irks me (it isnt just in this thread about this subject). i mean, of course there would be differences of opinion.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I will buy you a cake, NR. :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”