Chances with high LSAT, PhD and low undergrad GPA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
erics2681

Chances with high LSAT, PhD and low undergrad GPA

Postby erics2681 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:29 pm

I am curious if anyone can provide insight regarding my chances of getting into a top 30 school with a masters, phd and high lsat?

undergrad GPA 2.6-ranked liberal arts school(in biology)
additional undergrad coursework-3.6(1 semester after graduation, certification in nanotechnology)
Master GPA-3.95 in bioinformatics
PhD GPA-3.83 in genomics
LSAT-170

I would ideally like to get into Duke as they have a genomics law/policy center(tied to my phd major), but would also be interested in GW, UNC and Maryland for patent/IP law (want to stay in mid atlantic area)? To preface anyone asking why I am making the move, I feel as though I have lost my passion for research but would still like to deal with the technical/conceptual/policy issues with my field of study.

Thanks

TheBigMediocre

Re: Chances with high LSAT, PhD and low undergrad GPA

Postby TheBigMediocre » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:36 pm

I'd ED Duke, write a "Why Duke" essay, and make sure you have a strong PS and glowing recommendations. I think Duke is known for being pretty GPA heavy, but maybe your background can mitigate the GPA in this case. Northwestern ED might be a better bet though.

(Also as an aside, I just realized I've read TLS so long that when you said high score and I read 170, I thought, "meh, that's what I have, it's not that high." TLS has warped my mind beyond repair).

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Enjoy Northwestern and IP law.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:52 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:I'd ED Duke, write a "Why Duke" essay, and make sure you have a strong PS and glowing recommendations. I think Duke is known for being pretty GPA heavy, but maybe your background can mitigate the GPA in this case. Northwestern ED might be a better bet though.

(Also as an aside, I just realized I've read TLS so long that when you said high score and I read 170, I thought, "meh, that's what I have, it's not that high." TLS has warped my mind beyond repair).
Duke's not happening. NU would be a better shot if you had a 172, at least according to DF. GTown may give you a look, and you probably have a decent shot at GW. The GPA hurts pretty bad, but midwest splitter schools like Minnesota/WUSTL/UIUC would probably be locks if all else fails. FWIW, IP people have a reputation for being more marketable in general, and that's probably true in a mobility sense as well, from what I've heard.

Return to “What are my chances?”