Admission and $ chances. Physics major, 4 yrs work, LSAT 172 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Admission and $ chances. Physics major, 4 yrs work, LSAT 172

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:35 pm

Spring wrote:Another question, if h might not be a longshot,then is it easier to get in then the other top 3 schools?
It depends on the circumstances, but in your case I believe so. H is probably the easiest to get into by way of strong stats; that is, they look at numbers so much that because your numbers are good you ought to be a shoe-in there. Y can be a lot more selective due to their smaller class size and being preferred even to H.

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:58 am

MTal wrote:Please don't waste your intelligence by spending 3 years on something as unintellectual as law school.
MTal wrote:
Why cheat yourself out of part of your education; it won't help your grade, and you'll miss out one something important.
The reason I started this thread is that NYU1L made it seem like spending time briefing all your cases would HURT your grade rather than help it. I'm not trying to slack my way through, rather, just trying to use my time as efficiently as possible.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:37 pm

I dunno if people caught this, but she's actually a 3.94/174. (Highest LSAT basically is the only one that counts regardless of what schools say)

Those numbers plus cool softs = H or Y or S.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Spring wrote:Hi !

I'm looking to apply to law school. Where ahould I apply to?

Some of my background info is as follows:

lsat: 172 ( 170, 174)
gpa: 3.94
major: physics, mathematics
college: top 100 in usnews
work experience: worked one year as a research assistant in the states straight after college. Worked 3 years as lecturer/ teaching assistant overseas.
Other information: born in Taipei, female, Asian. Wanted to do law earlier, but wasn't ready .

also , any chances of financial aid/ scholarship for non-Americans? Do I have a realistic chance for the top five schools? Thanks!!
Enjoy Palo Alto!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:28 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:

work experience: worked one year as a research assistant in the states straight after college. Worked 3 years as lecturer/ teaching assistant overseas.
Other information: born in Taipei, female, Asian. Wanted to do law earlier, but wasn't ready .

also , any chances of financial aid/ scholarship for non-Americans? Do I have a realistic chance for the top five schools? Thanks!!
Enjoy Palo Alto!
You missed the "top 100 college" part, which I don't think will get OP into Stanford, though she'll get into Harvard for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:47 pm

im_blue wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Enjoy Palo Alto!
You missed the "top 100 college" part, which I don't think will get OP into Stanford, though she'll get into Harvard for sure.
Since when has Stanford been like Chicago and been that stuffy about the UG of the applicant? They care about softs, without a doubt - but the UG school is only one part of the equation. I don't care what university you go to, pulling a 3.94 in physics and mathematics is an enormously impressive feat. Couple that with an LSAT above the 75% and a GPA almost at the 75%, four years of WE (including three years of working overseas) and you're as close as you can get to being Stanford's ideal candidate. Everyone knows they are a black box when it comes to admissions. Yet I think that if OP shows a legitimate interest in doing IP she will be quite a nice match for Stanford, and I'm predicting that she will ultimately pick SLS over HLS for that route (again, based on her past interests, i.e. fields of study).

I may always be wrong, but I hardly think that's an absurd prediction based on this surface-level information we've been given.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”