2.66 LSAC GPA, 161 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
comewithmehailmary

New

2.66 LSAC GPA, 161 LSAT

Post by comewithmehailmary » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:58 pm

At this time I intend on applying to Samford, Loyola, Miami and Ole Miss.

What I want to know is?

What are my chances at these schools?
What are the chances that I can get any money to go?
What is the highest ranked school in the country as a whole I can probably get into?
What is the highest ranked school I can get into with the caveat that I want to live in practice in the I-10 corridor region of LA, MS, AL, FL (roughly Baton Rouge to Tallahassee)?

I am a legal resident of Alabama.

Also, I have a very small percentage of Spanish (Spain) ancestry but I have fairly pale skin and grey eyes. I know under the law I could technically claim Hispanic but I also know it is a real real stretch and have never really identified as Hispanic in the course of my life. However, I have put other on every application and not bothered to fill in that blank. So I also would like to know if I stand a shot at being able to qualify for AA as a Hispanic (A note: I do not have a Spanish surname, I basically have the blood back through the family tree)

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Re: 2.66 LSAC GPA, 161 LSAT

Post by isaiah6v8 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:05 pm

retake, and get a 165+ and get into to Bama.

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:13 pm

I can tell you that with those exact stats, I got into Iowa, which at #26 is the highest I could have. Being Cuban (dubious URM status) and having a huge upward GPA trend probably helped me get in, but I'm not sure exactly how much. I hope that gives you some hope.

comewithmehailmary

New

Post by comewithmehailmary » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:03 am

isaiah6v8 wrote:retake, and get a 165+ and get into to Bama.
The issue is this. I finished school after five years (double major) in 2008. However, due to an financial aid office issue the diploma didn't clear until this last December.

And like most recent grads, I haven't had much in the way of employment in this time and I am almost 25. I was testing in the 165-170 range in my practice LSATs and then a 161 on the LSAT.

And, because my school attendance ended in the summer of '08, I only have so much time left that I can do a deferment on what are some pretty substantial undergraduate loans. Basically, it's this year or no year at all because I don't think I can defer the student loan repayment pay 2013

comewithmehailmary

New

Post by comewithmehailmary » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:09 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I can tell you that with those exact stats, I got into Iowa, which at #26 is the highest I could have. Being Cuban (dubious URM status) and having a huge upward GPA trend probably helped me get in, but I'm not sure exactly how much. I hope that gives you some hope.
Cuban is not dubious. It's a category for Hispanic. The problem is my GPA looks like a heart monitor. Peaks and valleys. The last year was an upward trend but it came after a disasterous year.

The reason I asked about the Hispanic thing is that I have Mediterranean features and a Mediterranean (non-Spanish) surname. However, I do have some Spanish blood and under the way in which Hispanic is defined under U.S. law there is no minimum blood quantam and it is mostly self-identification. Even having just 1/128 ancestry from Spain, being blond hair and blue eyed and qualify you for Hispanic if you're willing to push hard enough.

Now I have brown hair and gray eyes. But I also have the standard Southern accent that you get in that I-10 corridor region that I'm from. The reason I've asked is that many more people could qualify as Hispanic under the law than do or try and back in the 80s when most of us were born people who were "living as whites" were less likely to pick Hispanic even if they had Spanish names because Hispanic was viewed in a different way back then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RickyRoe

Bronze

Post by RickyRoe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:14 am

comewithmehailmary wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I can tell you that with those exact stats, I got into Iowa, which at #26 is the highest I could have. Being Cuban (dubious URM status) and having a huge upward GPA trend probably helped me get in, but I'm not sure exactly how much. I hope that gives you some hope.
Cuban is not dubious. It's a category for Hispanic. The problem is my GPA looks like a heart monitor. Peaks and valleys. The last year was an upward trend but it came after a disasterous year.

The reason I asked about the Hispanic thing is that I have Mediterranean features and a Mediterranean (non-Spanish) surname. However, I do have some Spanish blood and under the way in which Hispanic is defined under U.S. law there is no minimum blood quantam and it is mostly self-identification. Even having just 1/128 ancestry from Spain, being blond hair and blue eyed and qualify you for Hispanic if you're willing to push hard enough.

Now I have brown hair and gray eyes. But I also have the standard Southern accent that you get in that I-10 corridor region that I'm from. The reason I've asked is that many more people could qualify as Hispanic under the law than do or try and back in the 80s when most of us were born people who were "living as whites" were less likely to pick Hispanic even if they had Spanish names because Hispanic was viewed in a different way back then.
I don't think that a single word of this post is true; we are all dumber for having read it.

ricking1288

New

Post by ricking1288 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:15 am

\

check this out
http://www.top-law-schools.com/urm-applicant-faq.html

read where it says Should I check the box for “URM” on my application?

1/4th is considered acceptable. I wouldnt try to stretch it more than that otherwise when u apply to the bar they raise some questions and you could be denied from the bar

P.s. wtf is wrong with u......just another fool trying to scam his way in law school

comewithmehailmary

New

Post by comewithmehailmary » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:22 am

ricking1288 wrote:

\

check this out
http://www.top-law-schools.com/urm-applicant-faq.html

read where it says Should I check the box for “URM” on my application?

1/4th is considered acceptable. I wouldnt try to stretch it more than that otherwise when u apply to the bar they raise some questions and you could be denied from the bar

P.s. wtf is wrong with u......just another fool trying to scam his way in law school

Well, it was worth asking. So I'm better off just not listing a race at all?

Other factors. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a child and I was raised in a single parent home. Would either of those factors work to my help or my hinderance?

comewithmehailmary

New

Post by comewithmehailmary » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:19 pm

comewithmehailmary wrote:At this time I intend on applying to Samford, Loyola, Miami and Ole Miss.

What I want to know is?

What are my chances at these schools?
What are the chances that I can get any money to go?
What is the highest ranked school in the country as a whole I can probably get into?
What is the highest ranked school I can get into with the caveat that I want to live in
So far I've only received really one sort of answer to these questions and a whole bunch of insults related to the second paragraph.

I'd really like to know the answers to these questions with the caveat that retaking and applying next year just isn't an option due to my student loan situation

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Well, it was worth asking. So I'm better off just not listing a race at all?

Other factors. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a child and I was raised in a single parent home. Would either of those factors work to my help or my hinderance?
It appears these things have hindered you in the past, but I don't think they will matter to adcoms.

Can you get into some of those schools? yes, would you be better off finding a job and then retaking later, I think so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”