Start MBA, Retake LSAT, and hope for scholly OR Start JD?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
doug_7506

Start MBA, Retake LSAT, and hope for scholly OR Start JD?

Postby doug_7506 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Ok I want some outside advice on the situation I am in. I am really having a hard time with this decision and would like some EDUCATED advice. If you are in the mood to be useless, there are many other post to do that on....

Ok so here is my current stats:
3.72 GPA, 153 LSAT, Avg. Softs, and Ok LORs

I am going to JD/MBA no matter what. The school I am going to allows you to defer on the MBA side but not on the JD.

Options:

1. Defer Admissions to MBA, Start JD (Assuming I get Accepted), and Pay Sticker (14k/year x 4years = approx. 56k in debt since I have no UG deb)

2. Start MBA, Retake LSAT (Only had three weeks to study and I took only three practice test: 139, 151, 152), and hope I get scholarship to bring down the cost (would honestly need to score about 4-5 points higher to get a scholarship, but I would have the whole summer to do so.)

Even if I get half scholarship I would be reducing my tuition and debt by 18-20k; however, if i get accepted and then I do not do good on LSAT, I cannot defer JD admissions and I run the risk of not getting accepted when I apply again next year...

So I guess the question is: Is the possibility of saving 18-20k or more worth the possibility of not getting in if I do worse on the LSAT?

Thanks,
Doug
Last edited by doug_7506 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

booboo

Re: Start MBA, Retake LSAT, and hope for scholly OR Start JD?

Postby booboo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:38 pm

Since it seems like you are going to the same school regardless...

Will this hamper the ability to complete the JD/MBA in the same time frame? Meaning, if you started the JD now, you would (as per most school dual degree programs) spend a year in the JD program, followed by a year in the MBA program and then some split of the sort in the following 1/2/3 years. If you started the MBA in the first year, would you still have spent the same amount of time completing the JD/MBA? If so, then I would recommend waiting and retaking the LSAT. If not, then you have to consider whether the extra time (let's say one year) is worth 18-20K.

doug_7506

Re: Start MBA, Retake LSAT, and hope for scholly OR Start JD?

Postby doug_7506 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:51 pm

booboo wrote:Since it seems like you are going to the same school regardless...

Will this hamper the ability to complete the JD/MBA in the same time frame? Meaning, if you started the JD now, you would (as per most school dual degree programs) spend a year in the JD program, followed by a year in the MBA program and then some split of the sort in the following 1/2/3 years. If you started the MBA in the first year, would you still have spent the same amount of time completing the JD/MBA? If so, then I would recommend waiting and retaking the LSAT. If not, then you have to consider whether the extra time (let's say one year) is worth 18-20K.

It will not affect the time frame of completion. If I start the JD first it goes one year JD, one year MBA, and then a combination of the two for two years. If I start the MBA first it goes one year MBA, one year JD, and then a combination of the two for two years. Regardless, It will take four years.

I made an edit to my original post about a downfall of starting MBA fist if I get accepted.

Return to “What are my chances?”