ED at Michigan, Penn, UVA, Northwestern, Duke, or Georgetown

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Dr. Strangelove

ED at Michigan, Penn, UVA, Northwestern, Duke, or Georgetown

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:04 pm

My GPA will probably be ~2.9-ish by the time I start fall semester senior year.
It will (hopefully) be higher as I take on may senior year.
What LSAT would I need to have a chance at any of these law schools Early Decision?
I'm also a math major.

I'm not sure if I'd apply ED or not to a school in the first place though but I'd consider it if it increased my chances significantly.. my gut instinct is that applying ED is a bad idea for two reasons.

1.) Every law school has its own personality and some might be better fits for me than others.. I'm not sure I'd be able to figure this out soon enough before the ED deadline.

2.) Money. I could always take out loans but if I can get into a law school on scholarship, that would be something to consider. I've heard a lot of law schools have LRAP programs which is awesome but still.. for example, I'm not sure I'd take UVA sticker price over Wash U $$$.

Flanker1067

Re: ED at Michigan, Penn, UVA, Northwestern, Duke, or Georgetown

Postby Flanker1067 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:10 pm

No one can tell you for sure, especially with that GPA. Just look at Law school numbers to get a sense. I just glanced at it and I would say a 172 + would give you an ok shot, but no guarantee. Duke rejected a 2.9 177,UVA has quite a few rejections and waitlists around the few 2.9 acceptances, and Penn hasn't accepted anyone below a 3.2.

Being a math major could definately help, not sure it will but it's a whole lot more respectable then getting a 2.9 in Psychology.

Edited for more info.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:21 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:My GPA will probably be ~2.9-ish by the time I start fall semester senior year.
It will (hopefully) be higher as I take on may senior year.
What LSAT would I need to have a chance at any of these law schools Early Decision?
I'm also a math major.

I'm not sure if I'd apply ED or not to a school in the first place though but I'd consider it if it increased my chances significantly.. my gut instinct is that applying ED is a bad idea for two reasons.

1.) Every law school has its own personality and some might be better fits for me than others.. I'm not sure I'd be able to figure this out soon enough before the ED deadline.

2.) Money. I could always take out loans but if I can get into a law school on scholarship, that would be something to consider. I've heard a lot of law schools have LRAP programs which is awesome but still.. for example, I'm not sure I'd take UVA sticker price over Wash U $$$.

I am pretty much in a very similar situation. I will have 2.99-3.01 after I graduate in May.

From my research of Law School Numbers it seems like 171-172 if you have good softs can get you in if you ED. If you do not have good softs, I think a 173+ could get you into UVA/MICH ED.

Depends on if you want to ED or not. For me personally as a Michigan resident, I am EDing to Michigan regardless of what I get on the LSAT. My friend who ED to Michigan and got accepted told me if you get in ED they will still offer you scholarships. So that is one thing to keep in mind.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Get a 172+, work for a year after college, ED to NU.

This is pretty much your only shot at the T14 IMO.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:29 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Get a 172+, work for a year after college, ED to NU.

This is pretty much your only shot at the T14 IMO.

Virginia, Michigan, and Penn have taken 2.9's in previous cycles. Georgetown will happily take a 2.9/172+.

But working for a year after college is TCR for any of the above. Nobody likes a straight out of UG low-GPA splitter.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:12 pm

I have some backup plans if I don't get into law school next year.
However, I've been leaning more towards going straight into law.
I screwed up academically freshman year but I think I'm ready to take on law school after college.
I've been doing well in my writing-intensive classes.
My feeling is that I should at least try. I've seen positive results from splitters who've applied to law school out of undergrad- in particular, if those splitters can luck out with the waitlist.
(One applicant with a 3.1 GPA and a 180 LSAT who applied from undergrad was accepted to NYU off the waitlist.)
However, I really like Northwestern and am in line with its teaching philosophy- I'm going to rack up some WE this summer. (Real estate & selling bikes).
I was hoping to go into consulting actually but I got rejected from every firm in terms of summer internships.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:34 pm

You would need a 170 to have a nonzero chance, but I'd aim for 172+.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:57 pm

I'd agree that obtaining WE is definitely a good option.
I have a plan B if law school doesn't work out next year. (Get a Masters in Accounting and work as a CPA for a public accounting firm.)

However, here's the impression I've been getting.
Columbia: No chance at all, not even ED.
NYU: Maybe with a 180
Chicago: Maybe with a 180
Duke: They just don't like splitters.
Northwestern: Would be very likely with WE and a 170+ LSAT.
Penn: 175+ LSAT could do it.
Michigan: 173+ LSAT could do it.
UVA: 173+ LSAT could do it.
Georgetown: 173+ LSAT could do it.

Agree or disagree?
If so.. I'm thinking
180 (NYU or Chicago)
173-179 (Penn/Michigan/UVA/Georgetown)
Less than 173 (ED wouldn't even help. Still try for law school but really prepare for Plan B.)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:06 pm

I think you'd benefit greatly from taking a gap year to take advantage of your senior year in college, while raising your GPA. An extra year of an upward trend will help tremendously A year of working will help, especially at Northwestern.

3.0/170+ seems good enough for UVA if you ED early.

171ish+ seem good for NU if you have work experience.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:53 am

Thanks for all your advice!
What LSAT would I need for an ED application to Michigan to be worth it? (I've heard Michigan is a really good law school for academia..besides the schools which I have no chance at of gaining acceptance to right now..)
There aren't a lot of stats for Michigan ED applicants but it seems Michigan is even more splitter-friendly than UVA (at least for RD out-of-state applicants...).. ED and/or in-state.. UVA seems to be more welcoming of splitters.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Could someone provide me with evidence that there is an applicant out there with a 180 LSAT who didn't get into NYU Early Decision? (Already saw an example of a guy who was deferred at Columbia with a 2.9/180).
My gut feeling is that I'd have a shot at NYU if I applied ED if I achieved perfection on the LSAT...

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:34 pm

1. Selling bikes and real estate is not good work experience.

2. Do not plan on getting a 180.

Since you're still in school you'd be better off taking some slack classes (maybe that pre calc class at the local CC and things of that nature, physics 1, ect) to better your GPA.

Just my $.02

bigben

Postby bigben » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 pm

LOL, just take the LSAT before you worry about all this shit man. Do as well as you can obviously.

This is the guy also asking about legal academia and T14 -> HYS transfers (something that people rarely do even when given the option, yet all of TLS - being 0L's - chimed in that it was a good idea).

L-O-fucking-L

Return to “What are my chances?”