but... I work here?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nycjdguy

but... I work here?

Postby nycjdguy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:33 pm

Long time lurker here, first time poster... here's my sitch: I applied to a T-25 program at the same school I've worked @ for the last 3 years (where I also attended for undergrad), and am sitting at about the 25% mark of both LSAT and GPA. Any thoughts on odds? I applied in Jan, and am still waiting to hear back...

Am I kidding myself about getting in?

Thx,
nycjdguy

EDIT: Not for nothing, but I work in the administration, and had LOR from people w/some influence... not just a low TA/RA.
Last edited by nycjdguy on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Re: but... I work here?

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:41 pm

nycjdguy wrote:Long time lurker here, first time poster... here's my sitch: I applied to a T-25 program at the same school I've worked @ for the last 3 years (where I also attended for undergrad), and am sitting at about the 25% mark of both LSAT and GPA. Any thoughts on odds? I applied in Jan, and am still waiting to hear back...

Thx,
nycjdguy

EDIT: Not for nothing, but I work in the administration, and had LOR from people w/some influence... not just a low TA/RA.

I know a girl (not a tx resident) who got into UT with a 153/3.4; she worked in the undergrad admissions office.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:02 am

Nightrunner wrote:More importantly: you've already applied...so why waste energy worrying about what decision will arrive whenever the decision arrives?

"Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. "

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:57 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:More importantly: you've already applied...so why waste energy worrying about what decision will arrive whenever the decision arrives?

"Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. "

Chewing bubblegum is a proven method of improving concentration by distraction. It will help you solve an algebra equation on tests (if allowed). Atheletes do many things to distract themselves and become more relaxed thereby improving concentration and performance level.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:22 am

r6_philly wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

Chewing bubblegum is a proven method of improving concentration by distraction. It will help you solve an algebra equation on tests (if allowed). Atheletes do many things to distract themselves and become more relaxed thereby improving concentration and performance level.

Hmmm... interesting. Never heard of it before. I know it never works for me, I actually lose focus. Do you know how and why it works?

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:29 am

Something called, making a decision about where to go for law school. :roll:

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:34 am

Nightrunner wrote:To bring things full circle: I would use the bubblegum tangent as an analogy to waiting for decisions: find something to do, so you don't spend too much time worrying about something you are incapable of controlling.

Well, yeah. I was more talking about the LSAT. I know that when I do anything, but thinking, I'm losing focus. This includes bubblegums. So I got quite curious as to why it works for some or for that matter for most.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:42 am

Nightrunner wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:

Something called, making a decision about where to go for law school. :roll:

Oh noes, the internet eyeroll!?!

You make the decision about where to go to law school after you know where you have the opportunity to go to law school. The process you describe is analogous to considering which girl to marry, when some of them haven't even responded to your request for a date.

It'd be more analogous to say, proposing to 3 or 4 chicks in another state and trying to decide which one you'll marry while you're waiting to hear back for their responses.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:34 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Distracting oneself with mundane things can allow other processes to flow naturally - it kind of absorbs the mental overflow that might otherwise lead to overthinking.

Please note that this is solely an opinion; I have done no research into this matter. Anecdotally, I can tell you that my stat geek buddy once calculated my basketball shooting percentages on games with gum v. no gum, and the former was a full .06 higher.

If you ever have to drive long distances (I did for a decade), one of the tricks to keep yourself awake is to eat sunflower seeds. The act of cracking the shells open keeps your brain active in another activity. Distraction helps avoid fatigue.

Most athletes today listen to music before games/matches/races. Music help to relax and focus through distraction. Same thing works with pain relief. Chewing gum will provide that distraction during the activity.

JustBelieve

Postby JustBelieve » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:55 pm

nycjdguy wrote:Long time lurker here, first time poster... here's my sitch: I applied to a T-25 program at the same school I've worked @ for the last 3 years (where I also attended for undergrad), and am sitting at about the 25% mark of both LSAT and GPA. Any thoughts on odds? I applied in Jan, and am still waiting to hear back...

Thx,
nycjdguy

No, you are not kidding your self. Congratulations on making it this far and applying. The bottom line is this, if you are meant to go to that law school then you WILL get in. If it's fate then there is nothing any human, not even the adcomm committee can do to stop you from attending. I hope that you get in.

Take care!

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 pm

FWIW, I work for the visiting scholars program at a certain T6 lawl skool and (in addition to being an alumnus) it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference given my ~25th %ile LSAT

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Return to “What are my chances?”