How much does applying early help?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tejota88

How much does applying early help?

Postby tejota88 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:27 pm

Broad question for applying to schools. Lets say that two students with the same numbers and credentials both apply to the same school except one applies in September while the other waits until February or March to apply. How much of a better chance does the September applicant have of getting in over the Feb/March applicant? Thanks.

voice of reason

Re: How much does applying early help?

Postby voice of reason » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Enough of an advantage that the September applicant clearly did the right thing by applying early.

Here's what Boat's admissions dean had to say about the issue in the interview on this site (http://www.top-law-schools.com/boalt-hall.html): "You must apply early. Even though we don’t have an early decision program, the early bird does catch the worm here. .... A lot of people make the mistake of filling out their applications over the Christmas holidays. But I start reading applications in late October, and I start making offers at that time. Because we have a finite number of offers to make, not only are there fewer spots available later in the process, the competition for those spots increases."

tejota88

Postby tejota88 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks for the response! That answers my question perfectly.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:19 pm

Definitely helps for almost all schools (the only exception being Yale). With Law School admissions being rolling, applying when every single seat is open definitely gives you a substantial boost compared with applying when adcoms are looking to fill the last 10% of the class.

Its hard to quantify exactly how much this helps, but its enough to know that it is definitely worthwhile.

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:57 pm

I'd agree that if you can apply early, you should. It'll help you some and there's no downside. If you can't for some reason though, applying late won't kill your chances. I applied mid-Jan and got into Harvard, Duke, and some others, but got waitlisted at UVA and Georgetown. I'm pretty happy with my choices, but if I'd applied in September I might have had more of them. (Or not. I think my fall semester grades helped.)

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:03 pm

Did absolutely nothing but make the wait longer for me. I would probably have the same exact decisions if I applied in February, or even March. To me, it was completely overrated and just extended an already awful wait. Got even worse decisions than I was expecting at some schools, and everything else was completely predictable.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:06 pm

tejota88 wrote:Broad question for applying to schools. Lets say that two students with the same numbers and credentials both apply to the same school except one applies in September while the other waits until February or March to apply. How much of a better chance does the September applicant have of getting in over the Feb/March applicant? Thanks.

1. LSAT

2. GPA

3. When application was sent

4. everything else.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:09 pm

I had to wait until after December LSAT score came in, so I was a late December/early January applicant.

I have a nagging suspicion that my late apps cost me at Chicago and Columbia -- especially given the record number of applications this year. Seats got tight around the end of the cycle. Also, appying early is the best way to avoid the rampant yield protection at schools that do that; they can be a little freer to take chances.

Not to complain -- I'm really happy with NYU. But I do think the late app affected my cycle, although I'm not sure how much that weighed against me versus having two LSAT scores or going to a no-name UG, which might be factors when you get to the pickier schools (T6).

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:12 pm

If you can apply early, do it. Admissions are rolling, and schools like to see applicants who are on the ball. That being said, don't sacrifice good LORs, good essays, or a good LSAT score in order to apply in September. Those things all trump application date.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:20 pm

tejota88 wrote:Broad question for applying to schools. Lets say that two students with the same numbers and credentials both apply to the same school except one applies in September while the other waits until February or March to apply. How much of a better chance does the September applicant have of getting in over the Feb/March applicant? Thanks.

Can vary from school to school. At Berkeley applying late is a significant disadvantage. At UVA I think it was a huge disadvantage this year as well, since they had so many ppl apply.

The typical rule of thumb is as follows: Before Thanksgiving is early and can provide a small boost, before Christmas and into early January is average and probably won't hurt you (though seats can start to fill up towards the end of December and early jan). Mid-january and later is not doing yourself a favor. March is a big disadvantage. This is more directed at T14/T30 schools, not as sure about others.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:23 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:If you can apply early, do it. Admissions are rolling, and schools like to see applicants who are on the ball. That being said, don't sacrifice good LORs, good essays, or a good LSAT score in order to apply in September. Those things all trump application date.

+1000000000000

I rushed my apps to get them in mid-Oct and later found 2 small errors in them that I could have avoided by simply spending a few more days proof-reading. While don't procrastinate, don't rush things to such an extent where mistakes are made, essays are weaker, etc. Make sure everything is spotless and strong before submitting (this means start really early though!).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:27 pm

At UVA it was a huge advantage to apply early. Last cycle the advantage in RD applicants was clearly to earlier applicants (though it's unclear how much the extended ED deadline had on this for this year). There were splitters who ED'd early and got in and then folks with the same or better numbers who ED'd later in the cycle that were WL'd or rejected.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:31 pm

APPLY EARLY.

I didnt apply until the deadlines. I was lucky enough to end up with a few options that I am very happy with and thus I won't be re-applying, but there are countless negatives.

-Boned the DEC LSAT so had to take the FEB. It was delayed 3 weeks due to snow. Lost a hotel deposit, had to reschedule everything. Due to only having 2 days between getting my score and March 1 I didn't apply to a few schools that were worth a shot. Also, who needs to ADD stress to the LSAT?

MONEY!!!! <---------

-I got a few 40% offers and one higher offer that I had to write into and apply. Even in that case I had to rush the essay since it was due 5 days after I was admitted. Even with the money I have I can't help but feel that I could've gotten more in October. Additionally I was admitted to Miami and haven't heard about any money, though I am definitely in their "Scholarship range" Many places are simply out of money, or you're working from their secondary funds. I couldn't fathom going into "sticker debt" and therefore the money is huge to me. ITE I wouldn't overlook that factor.

-I dont know about admissions but I got WL's at a few places that were right in my wheelhouse. I'm not going to cry about it, but it still sucked and I think I wouldve had a better shot earlier on.

Apply early, or if you cant, wait a year and apply early. You can give the right amount of time to the LSAT and then look and choose schools to apply to with your best score in hand. You will also get first chance at admission and $$$. I consider my cycle lucky considering the conditions, but wouldn't recommend it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:35 pm

I'm not so sure it helps with admissions, but it seems to matter a great deal if you want scholarship money.

daisuki

Postby daisuki » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Not a whole lot if the school seems to group apps according to #'s and then reviews them based on that..

Return to “What are my chances?”