interesting work experience, pretty good lsats, mediocre gpa Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yurishima

New

interesting work experience, pretty good lsats, mediocre gpa

Post by yurishima » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:39 am

Numbers: 3.39 (with summa, honors thesis, etc.) with upward trend (ugpa ~3.85), but from an average state university (Florida)
Averaging 170ish on practice tests.

Taught English for one year in China after graduation/currently teaching second year in Japan. Decent skills in both languages (with tests to prove it), and a black belt in judo for good measure (even Y seems proud that it has a few black belts in its ranks!). I imagine good letters, one especially with strong connections to Duke.

My question is: will a high LSAT and interesting WE be enough to counterbalance my mediocre gpa and make a top 14 a possibility? I especially have my eye on Cornell, which offers a law in China study abroad thing. That gives me perfect ammunition for a PS.

Thoughts? Thanks.

joebruin999

New

Re: interesting work experience, pretty good lsats, mediocre gpa

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:41 am

yurishima wrote:Numbers: 3.39 (with summa, honors thesis, etc.) with upward trend (ugpa ~3.85), but from an average state university (Florida)

Taught English for one year in China after graduation/currently teaching second year in Japan. Decent skills in both languages (with tests to prove it), and a black belt in judo for good measure (even Y seems proud that it has a few black belts in its ranks!). I imagine good letters, one especially with strong connections to Duke.

My question is: will a high LSAT and interesting WE be enough to counterbalance my mediocre gpa and make a top 14 a possibility? I especially have my eye on Cornell, which offers a law in China study abroad thing. That gives me perfect ammunition for a PS.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Work experience doesn't count for shit. All schools care about are numbers and URM

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:41 am

joebruin999 wrote:
yurishima wrote:Numbers: 3.39 (with summa, honors thesis, etc.) with upward trend (ugpa ~3.85), but from an average state university (Florida)

Thoughts? Thanks.
Work experience doesn't count for shit. All schools care about are numbers and URM
TITCR

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 am

joebruin999 wrote:
joebruin999 wrote:
TITCR
Did you really just do that?

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 am

adh07d wrote:
joebruin999 wrote:
joebruin999 wrote:
TITCR
Did you really just do that?
That was really douchey of him. However, TITCR.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yurishima

New

Post by yurishima » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:45 am

Okay, well, if work experience "doesn't count for shit," then what would you suggest I do to improve my chances? I have a few months ahead of me to bring my lsat up the last critical points. And I'll have maybe five months or so to kill when I go back to America. Any ideas on what I could do in those five months to spice up my application?

Mosca

Bronze

Post by Mosca » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:47 am

yurishima wrote:Okay, well, if work experience "doesn't count for shit," then what would you suggest I do to improve my chances? I have a few months ahead of me to bring my lsat up the last critical points. And I'll have maybe five months or so to kill when I go back to America. Any ideas on what I could do in those five months to spice up my application?
Study for the LSAT.

yurishima

New

Post by yurishima » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:51 am

Okay, so... my plan is as follows: study for the LSAT, go back to America, study for the LSAT some more.

I can tell my immediate future is going to be really exciting!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:53 am

yurishima wrote:Okay, so... my plan is as follows: study for the LSAT, go back to America, study for the LSAT some more.

As someone with a slightly lower GPA and some similar work experience, I can say with some certainty that this is exactly what you should do. If you get >170 on the LSAT, you should be able to crack T14. Also, try to get ANY job when you're back in the U.S. so you don't have a hole in your resume. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

memaha

Bronze

Post by memaha » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:41 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
yurishima wrote:Okay, so... my plan is as follows: study for the LSAT, go back to America, study for the LSAT some more.

As someone with a slightly lower GPA and some similar work experience, I can say with some certainty that this is exactly what you should do. If you get >170 on the LSAT, you should be able to crack T14. Also, try to get ANY job when you're back in the U.S. so you don't have a hole in your resume. Good luck!
+1 get the 170+

Bauer24

New

Post by Bauer24 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am

Work experience is only useful for Northwestern.. without it, you will probably not get in. With it, your chances are really good- given an LSAT in the 170's.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:24 am

Bauer24 wrote:Work experience is only useful for Northwestern.. without it, you will probably not get in. With it, your chances are really good- given an LSAT in the 170's.
And this is why I'm probably going to NU next year.

yurishima

New

Post by yurishima » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:10 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Bauer24 wrote:Work experience is only useful for Northwestern.. without it, you will probably not get in. With it, your chances are really good- given an LSAT in the 170's.
And this is why I'm probably going to NU next year.

...I've always wanted to live in the greater Chicago area!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sluguy14

Bronze

Post by sluguy14 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 am

Northwestern's a hell of a school. Nail that LSAT.

yurishima

New

Post by yurishima » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:47 am

sluguy14 wrote:People's College of Law's a hell of a school. Nail that LSAT.
After thoroughly researching the subject, I have come to the conclusion that the People's College of Law does not even CONSIDER the LSAT in its admissions process!

Just what kind of game are you playing with me, you rascal?!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”