154, 3.6, applied to NYC law schools and Cornell, ivy status Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Waitingontheworld

New

154, 3.6, applied to NYC law schools and Cornell, ivy status

Post by Waitingontheworld » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Should I start applying for jobs and forget about getting into the 2010 cycle? I have a feeling I am not getting in anywhere. I've only heard from NYLS and was waitlisted.

I applied to: Columbia NYU Fordham Cornell CUNY NYLS St.John's Brooklyn and Cardozo *and Boston
Last edited by Waitingontheworld on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Gold

Re: 154, 3.6, applied to NYC law schools and Cornell, ivy status

Post by dakatz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Waitingontheworld wrote:Should I start applying for jobs and forget about getting into the 2010 cycle? I have a feeling I am not getting in anywhere. I've only heard from NYLS and was waitlisted.

I applied to: Columbia NYU Fordham Cornell CUNY NYLS St.John's Brooklyn and Cardozo
Maybe retake the LSAT? You have a ton of room for improvement in pretty much every area, and just 5 or 6 more points would completely change your options and get you into some pretty good schools.

erniesto

Bronze

Post by erniesto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:29 pm

You'll get into CUNY. You might want to consider it if you want PI and only PI.

I doubt any of the others will make you an offer you'll want to consider.

loophole

New

Post by loophole » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:28 am

you must definitely consider retaking the lsat again.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:31 am

plain and simple, if you want a shot at a decent job in NYC, you're going to need a better LSAT score. Definitely work for a year and reconsider taking the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

multi720

New

Post by multi720 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:24 am

I have the same stats as you and applied to Columbia, though I know there's a very slim chance of getting in (also, i applied very late in the cycle)
Did you apply early?

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Waitingontheworld wrote:Should I start applying for jobs and forget about getting into the 2010 cycle? I have a feeling I am not getting in anywhere. I've only heard from NYLS and was waitlisted.

I applied to: Columbia NYU Fordham Cornell CUNY NYLS St.John's Brooklyn and Cardozo
Sorry, and trying not to be an ass here, but why did you apply to schools that where so clearly out of your GPA/LSAT range?

Columbia: LSAT median - 172ish / GPA median - 3.72ish
NYU: LSAT median - 171ish / GPA median - 3.78ish
Cornell: LSAT median - 167ish / GPA median - 3.54ish
Fordham: LSAT median - 166ish / GPA median - 3.64ish
Cardozo: LSAT median - 164ish / GPA median - 3.5ish
Brooklyn: LSAT median - 163ish / GPA median - 3.45ish
St. Johns: LSAT median - 160ish / GPA median - 3.53ish
NYLS: LSAT median - 156ish / GPA median - 3.40ish
CUNY: LSAT median - 153ish / GPA median - 3.23ish

Only the last two schools on the list do you even really have a remote shot at, since you're within two LSAT points of their school. Your GPA isn't good enough to really make you a splitter (maybe if you had a 4.0 in engineering)...but I really don't think it's good enough to account for the 6+ LSAT point difference between your score and most of the schools on that list.

Next time around I'd choose schools (if you really have a desire to attend law school) more in your range and not waste so much money on reaches. Really what your list consists of here is about 1 safety (CUNY) (you are above both medians), 1 midrange (NYLS) (one score above the median slightly and one score below the median slightly), and the rest reaches. A good list should be about 3 / 3 / 3. Yours is more like 1 / 1 / 7.

My rule of thumb, which may or may not be accurate but seems to work for me so far, is one LSAT point = 1 GPA point. So if you're below the median by two LSAT points for a school, you need to be above it by 2 GPA points to be considered a splitter and have a shot. If you're below the median by 6 LSAT points, you need to be above it by 6 GPA points to be considered a splitter (and since most of these schools have a 3.5 GPA median, that's pretty much impossible)....the takeaway point: if you're more than 5 LSAT points below the median and don't have a 4.0 / are not a URM, don't waste your money.

Side note: ivy status is almost irrelevant in the admissions process. It may make like a 1% difference.
Last edited by icydash on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:14 pm

loophole wrote:you must definitely consider retaking the lsat again.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Did you go to an ivy? Seems you got some poor law school advising or you didn't seek any.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:

Did you go to an ivy? Seems you got some poor law school advising or you didn't seek any.
what the eff. i wrote a plus one and it came up as "i'm opposed to what you just said, as well as the manner in which you said it" ... ???
Last edited by icydash on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Your Cornell undergrad will be worth more than whatever JD you can get with a 154.

Waitingontheworld

New

Re: 154, 3.6, applied to NYC law schools and Princeton Law, ivy

Post by Waitingontheworld » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks for your help to those w. constructive suggestions. And actually applying to those schools, well, it was worth it - I just got admitted into Cardozo today and I'm currently wait-listed at Fordham. I'm also admitted into another school which shall not be named (a safety) because of some altercations I mentioned in another forum post. Anyway 8) LSAT isn't everything regardless of what they say, I rocked my application :twisted: And I had a very valid reason for that LSAT score and explained it to the committee. (And to answer your questions about why I applied to those schools, I applied before I took my LSATs.)

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:48 pm

What the hell is with this thread? I someone editing the posts or something ?

C.o.r.n.e.l.l comes up as Priceton Law and something else comes up as Paradise, and when i type a plus one it says "i'm opposed to what you just said as well as the manner in which you said it" ... what's going on ?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:49 pm

Waitingontheworld wrote:Thanks for your help to those w. constructive suggestions. And actually applying to those schools, well, it was worth it - I just got admitted into Cardozo today and I'm currently wait-listed at paradise. I'm also admitted into another school which shall not be named (a safety) because of some altercations I mentioned in another forum post. Anyway 8) LSAT isn't everything regardless of what they say, I rocked my application :twisted: And I had a very valid reason for that LSAT score and explained it to the committee. (And to answer your questions about why I applied to those schools, I applied before I took my LSATs.)
I would love to hear your reasoning for your LSAT score -- would you mind PMing me? I'm actually really curious. And typically applying to schools before you take the entrance exam = not the best idea.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:50 pm

icydash wrote:What the hell is with this thread? I someone editing the posts or something ?

C.o.r.n.e.l.l comes up as Priceton Law and something else comes up as Paradise, and when i type a plus one it says "i'm opposed to what you just said as well as the manner in which you said it" ... what's going on ?
you, sir or madam, are a fool...of the april variety

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:56 pm

swheat wrote:
icydash wrote:What the hell is with this thread? I someone editing the posts or something ?

oh haha totally forgot what day it was. well score 1 them, 0 icydash.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:39 pm

swheat wrote:

I mean, who wouldn't want to go to Cornell ?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SoCalStudent

New

Post by SoCalStudent » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:24 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
swheat wrote:

I would!! Would need a 176 on the LSAT with my 2.9 :(

kinch

Bronze

Post by kinch » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:33 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
swheat wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:36 am

SoCalStudent wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
swheat wrote:

I would!! Would need a 176 on the LSAT with my 2.9 :(
LOL I had a 176 with a 2.8 and I got dinged.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”