Rest of Cycle Prediction - 177/3.42

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pertristis

Rest of Cycle Prediction - 177/3.42

Postby pertristis » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:15 pm

I wasn't going post one of these, but GULC is throwing some money my way, and they want me to decide by the 12th of next month. I was hoping to wait until their first deposit deadline to begin to make any sort of decision, but that's now gone by the wayside.

Basic Stats: 177 (no retakes), LSDAS 3.42. Massive upward trend (3.97 in the two years I returned to school). 3+ years WE between my first and second stints in college. Average softs, otherwise. Well-written PS, average to good LORs. All applications submitted late in the cycle (but it was better than the alternative).

Schools
Columbia - WL/Out
NYU - WL/In
Penn - WL/In
Duke - WL
NU - In

The decisions next are my predicted outcomes. If there is more than one outcome, the one on the left is what I expect to happen, and the one on the right is what I think might be possible, but perhaps less likely. Yes, I know I can use LSP; it's been wildly off for me this year, though.

How close are my predictions to what everyone else thinks will happen?

lawduder

Re: Rest of Cycle Prediction - 177/3.42

Postby lawduder » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:54 pm

is the GULC scholarship binding?

Gymnast0206

Postby Gymnast0206 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:10 pm

pertristis wrote:I wasn't going post one of these, but GULC is throwing some money my way, and they want me to decide by the 12th of next month. I was hoping to wait until their first deposit deadline to begin to make any sort of decision, but that's now gone by the wayside.

Basic Stats: 177 (no retakes), LSDAS 3.42. Massive upward trend (3.97 in the two years I returned to school). 3+ years WE between my first and second stints in college. Average softs, otherwise. Well-written PS, average to good LORs. All applications submitted late in the cycle (but it was better than the alternative).

Schools
Columbia - WL/Out
NYU - WL/In
Penn - WL/In
Duke - WL
NU - In

The decisions next are my predicted outcomes. If there is more than one outcome, the one on the left is what I expect to happen, and the one on the right is what I think might be possible, but perhaps less likely. Yes, I know I can use LSP; it's been wildly off for me this year, though.

I'm just going for the more likely In or Out . . . because it's possible you could be WL to all of these schools.

Columbia - In
NYU - In
Penn - In
Duke - Out
NU - Out

Just my thoughts. But, honestly, you have a good chance of being accepted to all of them. I think it'll come down to your PS. Good luck!

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:24 pm

The GULC scholarship is binding. Otherwise, I'd pay the first seat deposit and wait things out. I would be happy to go to GULC, but I would kill for NYU.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Gymnast0206 wrote:
pertristis wrote:I wasn't going post one of these, but GULC is throwing some money my way, and they want me to decide by the 12th of next month. I was hoping to wait until their first deposit deadline to begin to make any sort of decision, but that's now gone by the wayside.

Schools
Columbia - WL/Out
NYU - WL/In
Penn - WL/In
Duke - WL
NU - In

I'm just going for the more likely In or Out . . . because it's possible you could be WL to all of these schools.

Columbia - In
NYU - In
Penn - In
Duke - Out
NU - Out

Just my thoughts. But, honestly, you have a good chance of being accepted to all of them. I think it'll come down to your PS. Good luck!

NU will count his WE. I'd say:

Columbia - Out
NYU - Out
Penn - In
Duke - Out
NU - In

Gymnast0206

Postby Gymnast0206 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:34 pm

I agree, but I still think NU cares a lot more about GPA.

As for NYU, I think they'll look more favorably on WE and according to LSN you have a more than decent chance with your GPA/LSAT

Gymnast0206

Postby Gymnast0206 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Also, I really wouldn't be surprised if you got into all of them.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:52 pm

Gymnast0206 wrote:I agree, but I still think NU cares a lot more about GPA.

As for NYU, I think they'll look more favorably on WE and according to LSN you have a more than decent chance with your GPA/LSAT

NU doesn't give a shit about GPA. I got in with around the same LSAT and a GPA almost a full point lower.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:04 am

With 3+ years of WE, a good LSAT, and a better-than-horrible GPA, I will be mortified if don't get into NU. It's NYU and CLS that I want.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12 am

pertristis wrote:With 3+ years of WE, a good LSAT, and a better-than-horrible GPA, I will be mortified if don't get into NU. It's NYU and CLS that I want.

I was deferred ED with very similar scores + work experience from CLS, so I don't think that one's happening. I don't particularly like your chances at NYU, either, given that it's so late in the cycle and this week's ASW supposedly had a record turnout. If you really want one of those two, you may have to wait it out and reapply next cycle.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:13 am

damn these predictions are making me think about retaking the lsat....

I left 4 blank on the logic games. Shit. Care to let me know how it turns out for you?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:19 am

whitman wrote:damn these predictions are making me think about retaking the lsat....

I left 4 blank on the logic games. Shit. Care to let me know how it turns out for you?

The LSAT isn't the problem, the GPA is. CLS/NYU have a 3.5-3.6 floor, regardless of LSAT. He'd probably be an admit with a 175/3.62, and would definitely be an admit with a 173/3.82 (trading 1 LSAT point = 0.1 GPA points).

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:53 pm

So 1 point on the LSAT is equivalent to .1 GPA point (assuming you're above their magical "floor")? That's reassuring. I think. Sort of-kind of.

I'd be shocked if you got rejected anywhere except NYU and Columbia.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:39 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:So 1 point on the LSAT is equivalent to .1 GPA point (assuming you're above their magical "floor")? That's reassuring. I think. Sort of-kind of.

I'd be shocked if you got rejected anywhere except NYU and Columbia.

They're not really equivalent. I think Rayiner was just pointing out that his LSAT being well above median isn't going to make up for his low GPA at CLS/NYU. I actually believe his floor estimates are a little conservative (particularly for NYU), but I think you pretty much have to have everything else going for you to make up for that weakness. Unfortunately for OP, applying late in a year with record applicants =/= having everything else going for you.

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:33 pm

rayiner wrote:
whitman wrote:damn these predictions are making me think about retaking the lsat....

The LSAT isn't the problem, the GPA is. CLS/NYU have a 3.5-3.6 floor, regardless of LSAT. He'd probably be an admit with a 175/3.62, and would definitely be an admit with a 173/3.82 (trading 1 LSAT point = 0.1 GPA points).

I got into NYU and WL'd at CLS with 173/3.80, but I applied late in the cycle as well. Anyways, I agree with your assessment of NYU/CLS GPA floor.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Looking at the past three years of NYU and CLS comports with the thought that a waitlist is imminent for the both of them. With that said, there have been smatterings of people with numbers very similar to mine who have gotten in, sometimes applying as late as me. Of course, I have no idea what their softs are. I'd sure hope that my life story is fairly compelling (there's more I didn't reveal in the OP for privacy reasons), but that would only put me competitive in the silly-high-LSAT-but-lackluster-GPA group, and it seems that that is just not a good place to be in.

I'm not sure about Penn. The whispers coming from everywhere are that it's a black box when it comes to admissions.

The more salient issue, though, is this: NYU and CLS (and HYS, though I didn't bother applying to any of them) are the only schools that actually
truly excite me. I'm not sure that I'd pick any other school at sticker over GULC + $, even the pittance that I have received so far.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Alright, apparently I was way off. Just rejected from Northwestern. This one comes a complete surprise.

Gymnast0206

Postby Gymnast0206 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:10 pm

pertristis wrote:Alright, apparently I was way off. Just rejected from Northwestern. This one comes a complete surprise.

Sorry about your luck! You'll still get into a great school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:46 pm

If you expected to be accepted to Northwestern, then why even care about the others?
P.S. Sorry, just read that you were not accepted to NU. Hopefully Columbia will accept you!
P.P.S. How could you assume acceptance to Northwestern and not to Duke or the others?
Northwestern's Law School offers better placement opportunities than Duke or Penn, and, in the most recent cycle, than NYU or Columbia as well.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:03 am

CanadianWolf wrote:If you expected to be accepted to Northwestern, then why even care about the others?
P.S. Sorry, just read that you were not accepted to NU. Hopefully Columbia will accept you!
P.P.S. How could you assume acceptance to Northwestern and not to Duke or the others?
Northwestern's Law School offers better placement opportunities than Duke or Penn, and, in the most recent cycle, than NYU or Columbia as well.

Wouldn't NU's better place be due to the incoming student's proven WE? I think it reflects better on the students than the school. It makes sense since many straight out of UG law grads may have a tough time competing against each other in a limited market where firms may find the proven WE of NU grads more valuable. The WE has to stand them out against all the other out of UG grads.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:15 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If you expected to be accepted to Northwestern, then why even care about the others?

The obvious answer seems to be—there are places in that list that I'd choose over NU.

CanadianWolf wrote:P.S. Sorry, just read that you were not accepted to NU. Hopefully Columbia will accept you!

NU loves work experience. I have work experience. LSN's chart is striking. I'm the single red dot amongst a sea of green and yellow. It's fairly disheartening. And quite frankly, choosing a law school for me isn't just about who has the highest placement in the NLJ250: I'm also concerned about fit, academics, location, et cetera. I would choose Penn over a now-hypothetical NU acceptance, and I wouldn't think twice about accepting NYU or Columbia over any other school to which I've applied.

Return to “What are my chances?”