Where would you apply ED given these stats?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Which Law School Would You Apply ED To?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 pm

Chicago
24%
Columbia
10%
Duke
No votes
Georgetown
5%
Michigan
12%
New York University
12%
Northwestern
31%
Pennsylvania
No votes
Virginia
7%

Total votes: 42

Bauer24

Where would you apply ED given these stats?

Postby Bauer24 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:44 pm

3.0 GPA/177 LSAT
Would have one year of work experience by the time I would attend law school

Reasons why would be useful.
Looking to work in Chicago after law school.

Z3RO

Re: Where would you apply ED given these stats?

Postby Z3RO » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:52 pm

I only said NYU b/c I don't think you'll get into Chi with those #s.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 am

I'd say either Michigan or Chicago. Michigan has the quick turnaround time so if it didn't work you could ED somewhere else. But you might get into Michigan without the ED whereas at Chicago it could be the difference. Then again, you could get shut out of Michigan, Chicago and even Northwestern if next cycle is as brutal as this one. So maybe best to play it safe with Michigan for starters and if that doesn't work then take that as a sign that it wouldn't have worked at Chicago either and ED NU.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:09 am

Unique advice here, see if UVA plans to do the same thing they did this year, with the extended deadline through March for ED. if that is the case...apply ED to a higher reach, say Columbia...if you strike out, you will surely find out early enough that you could apply ED to UVA after. UVA is very splitter friendly and you are nearly gauranteed a spot there.

This dual ED strategy might be your best way to lock in a T10 with such a hard split..

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:27 am

The non-sexy answer: if you want to stay in Chicago, visit NU and see how you like it. If you think it would be a good fit, ED there. You may already stand a good chance of an acceptance since they are splitter friendly and you'll have some work experience, but if you can accept the idea of attending at sticker, go with what should make for hopefully a stress free (and short) cycle.

CCN is most likely not going to go for the low GPA, even with the ED. They just don't typically dip below 3.4/3.3. Doubt you'll have much of a shot of $ at any of the other T14. You might get some money from Illinois or WUSTL RD though (something to keep in mind if debt is a concern). If you don't like NU, try to find time to visit MVP before next cycle begins and choose the one you like the most. UVA can always be a nice backup plan too, if they keep the same ED policy next year.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:16 pm

I say NU if you're set on Chicago. Chicago won't bite on that GPA.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Yeah. NU. Their placement (relative to where they are ranked in the T14) is incredible. Nice part of Chicago too...

HJO

Postby HJO » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:33 pm

I would think you would get in to NU without ED'ing. I would ED to Chicago, Columbia, or NYU and if all is going terrible in February ED UVA.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:38 pm

HJO wrote:I would think you would get in to NU without ED'ing. I would ED to Chicago, Columbia, or NYU and if all is going terrible in February ED UVA.

CCN very rarely take splitters that big though, regardless of ED and the ones I've seen them take are EE or CS type majors. I think OP has a greater chance of not getting in NU RD then he does getting CCN ED. I personally would try to minimize what could potentially become a nasty cycle if he manages to miss out on NU if I decided to ED somewhere, then try to go for the extreme long shot instead.

Bauer24

Postby Bauer24 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:19 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
HJO wrote:I would think you would get in to NU without ED'ing. I would ED to Chicago, Columbia, or NYU and if all is going terrible in February ED UVA.

CCN very rarely take splitters that big though, regardless of ED and the ones I've seen them take are EE or CS type majors. I think OP has a greater chance of not getting in NU RD then he does getting CCN ED. I personally would try to minimize what could potentially become a nasty cycle if he manages to miss out on NU if I decided to ED somewhere, then try to go for the extreme long shot instead.

I'm really liking the idea of NU since Chicago is where I want to practice law. I'm glad it seems that one year of work experience is enough.
Also I'm a math major.. my pre-law advisor said that should help me in law school admissions..

Return to “What are my chances?”