BU or USC?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
painsinmysides
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm

BU or USC?

Postby painsinmysides » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:45 pm

I am deciding between BU and USC law. I live on the east coast, so the prospect of moving out west is both alluring and intimidating (all my family and friends live on the east coast).

That being said, though I understand that the choice may be largely dependent on my own career objectives and personal preference, I was hoping for some general impressions regarding the two programs, and possible suggestions. I am equally high on both.

I should also add that BU will be about 15k cheaper. BU gave me 25k and USC gave me 20k, but USC is more expensive overall.

Thanks.

User avatar
kaydish21
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby kaydish21 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:46 pm

I think BU is the safer choice as they have much better placement nationally and USC is a very good school but much more regional than BU. Did you get money at either one?

painsinmysides
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby painsinmysides » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:56 pm

kaydish21 wrote:I think BU is the safer choice as they have much better placement nationally and USC is a very good school but much more regional than BU. Did you get money at either one?


BU gave me 25k, and USC gave me 20k. But USC is on the whole, more expensive, by about 15k (mostly cost of living and tuition)

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:59 pm

Is this really true that BU is more portable than USC? In the latest NLJ 250 placement study (for 2009), USC placed 41.3% in NLJ250 firms and BU only 29.8%).

painsinmysides
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby painsinmysides » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:00 pm

I though BU placed like 38 or 39%

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby Flanker1067 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:05 pm

I am surprised more people haven't jumped in here. In general USC is thought to be a slightly higher caliber school, and has good placement power. Poeple say that it's regional because most of their grads stay in LA, I am skeptical of that though. I think alot of that has to do with self selection, and I heard from a USC student once that jobs in NY or SF are readily available (relative to local jobs of course) . That being said, I wouldn't discount BU if you want to be on the east coast. They aren't different enough where I could say def take USC.

Add: by "thought to be", I mean has a little more placement power.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

painsinmysides
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby painsinmysides » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:05 pm

Oops, just checked, you were right about 29% for 2009.

But it seems to have simply gone down with the economy... 2008 it was closer to 40%

Not really sure though why Boston went down so much and USC didn't -- California, like NY and Boston, got hit hard by the economy

painsinmysides
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby painsinmysides » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:07 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:I am surprised more people haven't jumped in here. In general USC is thought to be a slightly higher caliber school, and has good placement power. Poeple say that it's regional because most of their grads stay in LA, I am skeptical of that though. I think alot of that has to do with self selection, and I heard from a USC student once that jobs in NY or SF are available. That being said, I wouldn't discount BU if you want to be on the east coast. They aren't different enough where I could say def take USC.



Yea, I mean USC seems great. I am just wary of going out west when everyone I know is basically on the east coast. I think it could be really great to be in LA though.

I was just wondering if either school was significantly better than the other, and in such evaluations, which school people typically picked...

I do plan on living on the east coast after graduation most likely.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby Flanker1067 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:12 pm

painsinmysides wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I am surprised more people haven't jumped in here. In general USC is thought to be a slightly higher caliber school, and has good placement power. Poeple say that it's regional because most of their grads stay in LA, I am skeptical of that though. I think alot of that has to do with self selection, and I heard from a USC student once that jobs in NY or SF are available. That being said, I wouldn't discount BU if you want to be on the east coast. They aren't different enough where I could say def take USC.



Yea, I mean USC seems great. I am just wary of going out west when everyone I know is basically on the east coast. I think it could be really great to be in LA though.

I was just wondering if either school was significantly better than the other, and in such evaluations, which school people typically picked...

I do plan on living on the east coast after graduation most likely.


Dude, you sound like me. I love the "idea" of living in L.A., because I have been in new england for my whole life but I love good weather. On the other hand, I went to UG in Boston and that city is fun and I know alot of people there. I have no idea what I would do in your situation.

papercranes
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:06 am

Re: BU or USC?

Postby papercranes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:17 pm

I'll chime in for USC. The school has been generally really good to me. Jobs have been impressive when you consider the economy. I know a number of students (albeit, annecdotally) who have jobs for the summer in NYC and DC. The alumni network is all it's cracked up to be. I found BU kind of unfriendly and stodgy when I went to the ASD, whereas USC was (and is) super friendly.

On the other hand, moving for summers can be a pain. However, unless you plan on working in Boston, this consideration is irrelevant.

painsinmysides
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby painsinmysides » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 pm

As of now, even after both scholarship offers, USC is still about 15k more expensive. But in there letter, they indicated that they may be willing to revise their offer (they mentioned that I shouldn't choose state schools for their lower tuition which leads me to believe that their offer to revise may be condition on offers within California). Nonetheless, to an extent, my decision may be easier if USC does not beat BU's offer of 25k (USC currently offered 20k, but I may try to negotiate for more).

I am just scared of getting stuck out west after graduation because of regional placement and being too far from family. It could get lonely out west, having to start a new.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU or USC?

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 pm

papercranes wrote:I'll chime in for USC. The school has been generally really good to me. Jobs have been impressive when you consider the economy. I know a number of students (albeit, annecdotally) who have jobs for the summer in NYC and DC. The alumni network is all it's cracked up to be. I found BU kind of unfriendly and stodgy when I went to the ASD, whereas USC was (and is) super friendly.

On the other hand, moving for summers can be a pain. However, unless you plan on working in Boston, this consideration is irrelevant.


I'm a 1L at BU and this isn't the case at all. Most people are really friendly, and no one is really competitive. In fact, I just did my moot court argument, and we all drank afterwards and talked about our performance. BU's rep. as unfriendly is totally unwarranted.

Also - BU 1Ls are doing extremely well this summer in the northeast. If you want NE, BU is the easy winner. If you want CA, USC is the clear winner.

musicfor18 wrote:Is this really true that BU is more portable than USC? In the latest NLJ 250 placement study (for 2009), USC placed 41.3% in NLJ250 firms and BU only 29.8%).


Thats false. The data was corrected - BU was more around 36%. The difference isn't substantial. USC does better with clerkships, but BU places a ton in the federal government. If you want more info, let me know.

papercranes
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:06 am

Re: BU or USC?

Postby papercranes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 pm

painsinmysides wrote:As of now, even after both scholarship offers, USC is still about 15k more expensive. But in there letter, they indicated that they may be willing to revise their offer (they mentioned that I shouldn't choose state schools for their lower tuition which leads me to believe that their offer to revise may be condition on offers within California). Nonetheless, to an extent, my decision may be easier if USC does not beat BU's offer of 25k (USC currently offered 20k, but I may try to negotiate for more).

I am just scared of getting stuck out west after graduation because of regional placement and being too far from family. It could get lonely out west, having to start a new.



Ok in that case, go to BU. I don't get the impression that it would be hard *at all* to come from USC to the east coast and I preferrd USC by far but go where you want to work.

painsinmysides
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby painsinmysides » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:33 pm

At this point, and of course a lot can change in 3 years, I hope to work in NYC, but more flexibly on the east coast.

So I want to maximize my employment prospects, while also having the best 3 years of law school possible.

I guess its a good decision to have to make, considering I am happy with both schools, I just can't seem to figure things out...

User avatar
Puffy
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:04 am

Re: BU or USC?

Postby Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:35 pm

I visited Boston once and was just blown out of my mind after seeing just how many ugly people there are in that unfortunate city.

User avatar
Stupendous_Man
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby Stupendous_Man » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:47 pm

papercranes wrote:
painsinmysides wrote:As of now, even after both scholarship offers, USC is still about 15k more expensive. But in there letter, they indicated that they may be willing to revise their offer (they mentioned that I shouldn't choose state schools for their lower tuition which leads me to believe that their offer to revise may be condition on offers within California). Nonetheless, to an extent, my decision may be easier if USC does not beat BU's offer of 25k (USC currently offered 20k, but I may try to negotiate for more).

I am just scared of getting stuck out west after graduation because of regional placement and being too far from family. It could get lonely out west, having to start a new.



Ok in that case, go to BU. I don't get the impression that it would be hard *at all* to come from USC to the east coast and I preferrd USC by far but go where you want to work.


I'd agree with the BU sentiment. I had a similar choice to make, but for me USC is the easy answer because I know and love the West Coast. I'd say you want to make sure the West Coast is somewhere you could see yourself living and working, if you're going to take that route. It's a drastic move away from your family, friends, and culture.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:56 pm

Puffy wrote:I visited Boston once and was just blown out of my mind after seeing just how many ugly people there are in that unfortunate city.


Ah, once again Puffy strikes with his charming wit and helpful posts!

User avatar
afghan007
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: BU or USC?

Postby afghan007 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:04 pm

bump

i'm facing similar situation (USC v. UConn).. everything i know is on the east coast, would like option to come back after law school.. more input would be great




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest