Would it improve my chances if...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nonpareilpearl

Would it improve my chances if...

Postby nonpareilpearl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:48 pm

...I took a couple classes in the '10-'11 academic year?

I graduated in 2008 with Physics (BS) and Mathematics (BS), my cumulative GPA was a 3.0 - mainly because I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a Physicist but (somewhat stupidly) continued to plug along anyway (and was miserable). After graduation I started working full time.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I've been looking at LSN and so forth and I've noticed that I would need a really, really high score to compensate for my GPA to keep as many opportunities open as possible. Right now money is a bit stressed, but I was wondering if there was some benefit to trying to take a couple classes to help bolster my GPA? Or should I just focus on the LSAT? I'm a bit worried that if I freak out too much for the LSAT, that the stress will negatively impact my score anyway...

Any advice appreciated :)

emkay625

Re: Would it improve my chances if...

Postby emkay625 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Oooo I had the same question.

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:52 pm

i'm pretty sure your lsac gpa will only take into account grades earned before you earned your first bachelors degree

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:52 pm

If you've already graduated then your LSAC GPA is set and taking more classes won't change that. Just focus on scoring as highly as possible on your LSAT, lining up good references, and working on your essays and such.

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:54 pm

Classes taken after your bachelors is awarded are not factored into your LSAC GPA. Taking additional classes would be a waste of time and money.

Edit: I see this has already been answered. Apparently my typing is too slow this morning.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Nothing you can do about your GPA. Once you graduate, it's locked in.

Concentrate on the LSAT. Some schools love splitters, some hate them. With a great LSAT and great LORs, you still have a shot at the T20, and a select few of the T14.

nonpareilpearl

Postby nonpareilpearl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks for all the input!

My other question is actually about LORs, since someone mentioned them I'll ask it here: I've been working for a couple years now, so I don't know if any of my profs would be able to accurately gauge my academic performance at this point (I'm sure others, who have been out of school even longer than I, have a similar problem). From what I've been reading, schools prefer LORs from academic sources and etc...so should I be reconnecting with old professors or would LORs from current employers be acceptable?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:26 am

nonpareilpearl wrote:My other question is actually about LORs, since someone mentioned them I'll ask it here: I've been working for a couple years now, so I don't know if any of my profs would be able to accurately gauge my academic performance at this point (I'm sure others, who have been out of school even longer than I, have a similar problem). From what I've been reading, schools prefer LORs from academic sources and etc...so should I be reconnecting with old professors or would LORs from current employers be acceptable?

I had this same situation this year. I didn't have any academic letters of recommendation and don't think it really affected me that much. While they seem to prefer academic ones, the main thing is your LSAT and uGPA. Everyone is going to have good LORs. With that being said, if you time to get a really good one from a professor, do so.

I will say that one school wouldn't complete my file because I didn't have a LOR from a professor, but they explicitly state that you have to have one (PM me for details if interested). They are the only school I came across with this requirement.

Return to “What are my chances?”