Chances at these schools if I apply ASAP next year?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Bauer24

Chances at these schools if I apply ASAP next year?

Postby Bauer24 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:19 pm

Wouldn't be doing ED anywhere.. just getting all my apps in early, hopefully the latest being October 1...
Stats
(3.0 GPA/177 LSAT)
-Will be out of college for one year before law school.
Work Experience: Real Estate Agent/Software Trainer

NYU
Penn
Michigan
Duke
Northwestern
UVA
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
UT-Austin
Vanderbilt
USC
Wash U
Boston University
Emory

Re: Chances at these schools if I apply ASAP next year?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Bauer24 wrote:Wouldn't be doing ED anywhere.. just getting all my apps in early, hopefully the latest being October 1...
Stats
(3.0 GPA/177 LSAT)

NYU - out
Penn - WL->out
Michigan - could be in, WL, or out. This is will come to softs.
Duke -out
Northwestern - wl -> in
UVA- out
Cornell -> probably out, maybe in. This will come to softs as well.
Georgetown -> super duper priory secret WL
UCLA WL
UT-Austin WL
Vanderbilt WL or In
USC I think you get in eventuall
Wash U in with money
Boston University in
Emory in

Why wait til Oct 1? If you have an LSAT, get your LOR now, and apply the first day apps are ready.

I'd also throw some apps to Minn and Illinois if you want scholly money.

I'd bet you'll get into one at least of, Mich, NU, Cornell, or Gtown.

Bauer24

Postby Bauer24 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Would a recommendation from a Duke Law professor help increase my chances at Duke (or anywhere since I was an active learner in that class.. not quite a gunner but enough that I asked questions and knew answers to stuff..)? If this shows that I'm a good fit for law school despite my lackluster GPA, would law schools consider that a good soft? I know one pretty well from sitting in on one of his classes regularly last semester and am going to get a rec from him. (Couldn't audit the class though..)

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:09 pm

Bauer24 wrote:Would a recommendation from a Duke Law professor help increase my chances at Duke...

The law professor will be more credible than most LOR writers when commenting on how you compare to law students. Generally the identity of the writer matters much less than the writer's ability to provide concrete examples of your strengths and to compare you to other people. The fact that he's a law professor is not likely to be a big deal, but it does mean he'll be taken seriously.

BigA

Postby BigA » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:20 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Bauer24 wrote:Wouldn't be doing ED anywhere.. just getting all my apps in early, hopefully the latest being October 1...
Stats
(3.0 GPA/177 LSAT)

NYU - out
Penn - WL->out
Duke -out
Northwestern - wl -> in
UVA- out
UCLA WL
UT-Austin WL
Vanderbilt WL or In
Wash U in with money
Boston University in
Emory in

Why wait til Oct 1? If you have an LSAT, get your LOR now, and apply the first day apps are ready.

These are much more pessimistic than LSP. Any reason?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:27 am

BigA wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Stats
(3.0 GPA/177 LSAT)

NYU - out
Penn - WL->out
Duke -out
Northwestern - wl -> in
UVA- out
UCLA WL
UT-Austin WL
Vanderbilt WL or In
Wash U in with money
Boston University in
Emory in

Yeah I agree. Definitely out at T6 and maybe some of the GPA whores (Duke and Berkeley), but WL at Texas? Not a lock at USC? I usually trust the Desert Fox, though... so I'm interested to hear.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:36 am

romothesavior wrote:
BigA wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah I agree. Definitely out at T6 and maybe some of the GPA whores (Duke and Berkeley), but WL at Texas? Not a lock at USC? I usually trust the Desert Fox, though... so I'm interested to hear.

LSP uses a "index number" where they weight LSAT and GPA. So doing really good on the LSAT balances out the poor GPA. But it doesn't consider GPA cut offs. Texas is a gpa whore. Uo

3.0 is below or just at most schools GPA cut off. Texas rarely goes below 3.3. USC usually takes low GPAs but this year have not.

For splitters looking on LSN is better than LSP.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:39 am

romothesavior wrote:
BigA wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Stats
(3.0 GPA/177 LSAT)

NYU - out
Penn - WL->out
Duke -out
Northwestern - wl -> in
UVA- out
UCLA WL
UT-Austin WL
Vanderbilt WL or In
Wash U in with money
Boston University in
Emory in

LSN lines up with him on those two, fwiw

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:41 am

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
BigA wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

LSP uses a "index number" where they weight LSAT and GPA. So doing really good on the LSAT balances out the poor GPA. But it doesn't consider GPA cut offs. Texas is a gpa whore. Uo

3.0 is below or just at most schools GPA cut off. Texas rarely goes below 3.3. USC usually takes low GPAs but this year have not.

For splitters looking on LSN is better than LSP.

Desert Fox, always a wise man. I just figured most law schools were like me and went :shock: at a 177 (save for the T6).

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:49 am

romothesavior wrote:Desert Fox, always a wise man. I just figured most law schools were like me and went :shock: at a 177 (save for the T6).

Well they do, then they go :? at the 3.0.

A 3.0 makes T6, B, and Duke almost impossible. It makes Michigan, Penn and UVa very hard. Usually good softs, and ED, or something. Cornell is unlikely but iffy. Gtown, and NU are pretty good though.

OP should be lucky he is at 3.0. Below three and its only NU.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:52 am

Desert Fox wrote:For splitters looking on LSN is better than LSP.

This. LSP was meaningless for me, but LSN's been 100% accurate when expectations are adjusted for mid-January apps. LSP might hold true for splitters from WUSTL on down, but certainly not above. My cycle's been bimodal thus far, WL at T13s and GTTTown with acceptances below. Although TBF Vandy would have WLed me as well if their undergrad hadn't put me through the miserable 4 years of engineering that led to me being a splitter.
Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Desert Fox, always a wise man. I just figured most law schools were like me and went :shock: at a 177 (save for the T6).

A 3.0 makes T6, B, and Duke almost impossible. It makes Michigan, Penn and UVa very hard. Usually good softs, and ED, or something. Cornell is unlikely but iffy. Gtown, and NU are pretty good though.

Duke's not happening. It's more likely than T6/B, though. As a splitter who's put extensive research into the subject, I can tell you that a Duke WL is the best case scenario. Something like 2/150 applicants were admitted to Duke with splitter numbers (according to their LSAC profile), and I'd bet they were either URM or admitted in July off the WL.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:02 am

stratocophic wrote:

This. LSP was meaningless for me, but LSN's been 100% accurate when expectations are adjusted for mid-January apps. LSP might hold true for splitters from WUSTL on down, but certainly not above. My cycle's been bimodal thus far, WL at T13s and GTTTown with acceptances below. Although TBF Vandy would have WLed me as well if their undergrad hadn't put me through the miserable 4 years of engineering that led to me being a splitter.
Desert Fox wrote:

Duke's not happening. It's more likely than T6/B, though. As a splitter who's put extensive research into the subject, I can tell you that a Duke WL is the best case scenario. Something like 2/150 applicants were admitted to Duke with splitter numbers (according to their LSAC profile), and I'd bet they were either URM or admitted in July off the WL.

I used both LSP and LSN during my "research" phase, but I'm not a splitter so I don't have a whole lot of experience with it. I was fortunate to have very predictable numbers (168/3.8ish), so my cycle went exactly as expected. I just figured that since LSAT is weighed a little more heavily than GPA, that 177 could make up for the sub-par GPA in lower T10. But hey, ya learn somethin new every day.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:14 am

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Desert Fox wrote:

I used both LSP and LSN during my "research" phase, but I'm not a splitter so I don't have a whole lot of experience with it. I was fortunate to have very predictable numbers (168/3.8ish), so my cycle went exactly as expected. I just figured that since LSAT is weighed a little more heavily than GPA, that 177 could make up for the sub-par GPA in lower T10. But hey, ya learn somethin new every day.

Eh, depends on the school. UVA would be OK with it, as would Northwestern with WE. Duke's Berkeley-light for admissions purposes.

Edited for acronym fail.
Last edited by stratocophic on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bauer24

Postby Bauer24 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:40 pm

Wow thanks for all the good advice everyone!
Does UT-Austin only have a GPA cutoff for non-Texas residents?
I know someone with a 3.05 who got into Texas Law but he's from Texas...
Last edited by Bauer24 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Bauer24 wrote:Wow thanks for all the good advice everyone!
Does UT-Austin only have a GPA cutoff for non-Texas residents? I know someone with a 3.05 who got into Texas Law but he's from Texas...

No clue, but I think UT has a residency % requirement, which would make it easier to get into if you were a Texan.

Bauer24

Postby Bauer24 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:49 pm

I have to decide if I want to send an early app to a T14 school.
Problems though

1.) I'm not really committed to any law school right now. If I really want to go somewhere- it's because of the name and that's it.
2.) I'm kind of hoping for scholarship money, especially if I can transfer to a better law school after the first year.. I think I got my shit together enough to succeed academically.

That's why I'm hoping applying early w/o ED will be enough to make my chances even a little better.

And finally, my gut feeling is that this would simply come off as arrogant and risky... but retaking the LSAT is out of the question, right?
1-Even if I do better, I think law schools would see it as a negative that I retook a freaking 177!
2-The probability is high that my score will go down.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:08 pm

Bauer24 wrote:I have to decide if I want to send an early app to a T14 school.
Problems though

1.) I'm not really committed to any law school right now. If I really want to go somewhere- it's because of the name and that's it.
2.) I'm kind of hoping for scholarship money, especially if I can transfer to a better law school after the first year.. I think I got my shit together enough to succeed academically.

That's why I'm hoping applying early w/o ED will be enough to make my chances even a little better.

And finally, my gut feeling is that this would simply come off as arrogant and risky... but retaking the LSAT is out of the question, right?
1-Even if I do better, I think law schools would see it as a negative that I retook a freaking 177!
2-The probability is high that my score will go down.

Your cycle will go exactly the same as if you got a 180.

You will get into one of: Mich, Penn, NU, and Gtown but you won't get money.

If you are looking for money, look at WUSTL, UIUC, Minnesota, and W&L.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:16 pm

I'll weigh in with my results, for whatever it's worth. My numbers are a 3.4/175, will have been out of school two years and I didn't get my apps in until January. I am currently in at NYU, rejected at Boalt and UT, Waitlisted at UVA and Emory (wtf?). Still waiting on Chicago, where I think I have a chance, and Harvard/Stanford, who I expect to say no.

This is to say that I wouldn't be too optimistic about any of the T10 schools. That said I think, especially with state schools, getting your app in early if you are out of state is a big deal, and I obviously didn't do that. If you're looking for optimism I'd look there. Also, if you're in state at one of those schools you will have much better chances.

Bauer24

Postby Bauer24 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:40 am

I'm thinking of ED to Michigan.
Is this a bad idea or would it be smarter for me to see if I could get a scholarship from Illinois/Minnesota/Wash U?
I want to work in Chicago after law school.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:14 pm

stratocophic wrote:This. LSP was meaningless for me, but LSN's been 100% accurate when expectations are adjusted for mid-January apps. LSP might hold true for splitters from WUSTL on down, but certainly not above. My cycle's been bimodal thus far, WL at T13s and GTTTown with acceptances below. Although TBF Vandy would have WLed me as well if their undergrad hadn't put me through the miserable 4 years of engineering that led to me being a splitter.

For splitters, LSN >>> LSP on all levels, but especially for very low 3's and sub 3's. Looking at trends, rather than at overall indexes is extremely important.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:28 pm

Bauer24 wrote:I'm thinking of ED to Michigan.
Is this a bad idea or would it be smarter for me to see if I could get a scholarship from Illinois/Minnesota/Wash U?

I'd strongly consider making a commitment to a ED to one school that you'd go to regardless of money. I wish I had - might not have resulted in anything different, but wish I did. Here's the thing - you will have to eventually make the decision anyway. Would you take x amount from y school over a particular T10? If the answer is no now, why not maximize your chance to get into one of those schools? I wanted to "keep my options open" to take a scholly over rank, but now I'm just having to make the decision now instead of earlier.

You're a splitter, so its hard to predict your cycle. Schools where you think you might be a lock in might WL/reject you because they think you'll just attend a better school since you have such a high LSAT. And its unfortunate when many schools (or worse, most of your schools) assume that. It surprised me to see so many people on here who split high and were left in the dust at schools I would have thought would be a lock.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:06 pm

Bauer24 wrote:I'm thinking of ED to Michigan.

I wouldn't ED at Michigan. If you are certain about Chicago, I'd be looking at Northwestern.

I wouldn't ED there, you'll probably get in anyway.

Return to “What are my chances?”