3.15 Accounting/IS double major, studying for June LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chicagobullsfan

3.15 Accounting/IS double major, studying for June LSAT

Postby chicagobullsfan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi everyone,

So I'm not sure if I'm a unique sort of candidate or not, but anyways - I majored in accounting and information systems (2 majors) in college and minored in poly sci - got 150 credit hours out of the way a few years ago (2006). I graduated from a top 100 business school as an undergrad, and went straight into a public accounting firm out of college. After a year, I switched over to industry and have been working in internal auditing for a "big pharma" company for the last 3 years.

As far as "softs," I have recently completed 2/4 of the CPA examination and plan on passing the other two sections before the end of the year (November - probably not before I send out my applications, unfortunately). I am the assistant national fundraising director of a national 501(c) 3, which deals with disaster relief (primarily) and urban development, and I have been involved in setting up a local walkathon for this organization the last 3 years. This year (2010) I have also begun to get involved (on the side) with a fledgling think-tank of sorts that is trying to work with Congress to push for better minority rights and protections in 3rd world countries (namely Pakistan, Indonesia, and Bangladesh). EDIT: I guess if college softs still count, I was president of a honors fraternity for a year and did 2-3 different types of volunteering (1 of which I still continue to do to this day).

Recently, after a lot of talking with people, and a lot of thinking on my own, and scouring this website as well, I have decided the next step is for me to try to take the LSAT and apply to law school, particularly to pursue the latter issue I mentioned above further, and see what happens.

So I took a diagnostic before I began studying - my cold score was 161. Now I have been studying for the last two weeks getting ready for the June date. I consider myself a pretty good test taker - I got a 31 on the ACT when I took it in high school and I am actually enjoying studying for this exam so far :oops: . I feel pretty confident about doing well on this test (well meaning above a 165) but ideally, I would love to get a 170 or better.

My problem is the 3.15 GPA. I started college when I was age 17 and had a lot of trouble adjusting to campus life, and my GPA was below a 3 for my freshman year, before I picked it back up in my sophomore year and brought it up, but it was incredibly difficult to do with the double major, as well as an internship and a part time sales job in my senior year.

Realistically, what kind of LSAT should I be aiming for if I want to get into, say, Northwestern? I know they are a T-14, but say that's the tip of the iceberg. The calculation websites say my odds are really slim unless I get a 170, and nothing is a "good chance" unless I score 173 or higher. Does my somewhat unusual/varied background have any impact on this at all? What sticks out to you positively and negatively upon reading my profile? Thanks and I hope this wasn't too long...

EDIT: Also, from what I've read I'm guessing Southeast Asian doesn't qualify as URM, but if someone wouldn't mind confirming I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT 2: I really have to thank pithypike for his guide. I love it. Hopefully I'll still love it once I get my LSAT score. OK, that's enough.

apollo13

Re: 3.15 Accounting/IS double major, studying for June LSAT

Postby apollo13 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm

As far as your "softs" are concerned, I don't think it would not do any good as long as it is nationally outstanding. With that said, your history of being a president of some honors frat won't be also considered as well. Law schools get too many of these kind of intellectuals - president of this and that clubs and organizations because prospective law school students are normally active and have aware of themselves.

The best bet for you right now is Northwestern, a school that takes "working history" a huge consideration. However, Northwestern isn't still easy to get accepted from. Please visit http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com and check around the stats of ppl from different schools.
And for the LSAT, you should be aiming for the highest score you could possible get (duhh) not should i get 175?? or 173...?
URM doesn't count any Asians at all - it mainly includes African-Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, and other Hispanic ethnicities.

It sounds like you are trying to justify your "faults" with different excuses. If I were you, I would just suck it up and study my butt off with a fellow SAT nerd at a corner of Barnes and Noble.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:04 am

Don't expect your majors to give you any sort of boost. I'm an Accounting/Management double-major from a Top-20 UG Business school and I've been mildly disappointed with my cycle so far as a 3.35/170. Your work experience will probably help though, especially for Northwestern.

chicagobullsfan

Postby chicagobullsfan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:10 pm

apollo13, thanks for the "tough love" type answer. I always appreciate honest feedback. Thanks also for your input BigMediocre regarding the majors.

It appears that to have any decent/strong shot at T14, I'll probably need to get a 175 or better. Time to go insane w/preptests and think about everything else afterwards. This is not gonna be easy.

I appreciate the help.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:13 pm

chicagobullsfan wrote:Realistically, what kind of LSAT should I be aiming for if I want to get into, say, Northwestern?

170 to have a shot, 172 to have a good shot. Applying early decision helped people with poor gpa's this cycle.

Return to “What are my chances?”