very avg teacher's rec for the top law schools.. chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
buzzbee

very avg teacher's rec for the top law schools.. chances?

Postby buzzbee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi guys,

I go to a large school (although it is one of the top ones in the nation) so there's usually not too much interactions with professors. I also don't go to OH's that much, so I don't know my professors well at all. I have 3 leadership positions (vp's of clubs) and some legal internships and a few job experiences. My life circumstance could also be considered unusual because I've gone through some hardships. GPA: 3.92 (upward trend, since I got some B's and B-'s freshman year) LSAT: 175

Do I have a shot at Harvard and Stanford? Yale's probably out of my league, so I'm not going to bother. I'm just concerned because my ec's seem a bit too average for the top schools and I'm not sure how good my recs will be either... Perhaps Stanford's out too :(

What do you guys think? Would I have ANY shot at these top three?

Philo38

Re: very avg teacher's rec for the top law schools.. chances?

Postby Philo38 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:38 pm

buzzbee wrote:Hi guys,

I go to a large school (although it is one of the top ones in the nation) so there's usually not too much interactions with professors. I also don't go to OH's that much, so I don't know my professors well at all. I have 3 leadership positions (vp's of clubs) and some legal internships and a few job experiences. My life circumstance could also be considered unusual because I've gone through some hardships. GPA: 3.92 (upward trend, since I got some B's and B-'s freshman year) LSAT: 175

Do I have a shot at Harvard and Stanford? Yale's probably out of my league, so I'm not going to bother. I'm just concerned because my ec's seem a bit too average for the top schools and I'm not sure how good my recs will be either... Perhaps Stanford's out too :(

I would say you have a good shot at HS and a bit less of a shot at Yale. I don't think that average LORs are going to derail an otherwise stellar application. Its mostly all about the numbers anyway, and you have the numbers that is th eimportant part.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:39 pm

buzzbee wrote:Hi guys,

Why don't you schedule a lunch appointment with one of your professors. Let them read your personal statement and maybe write them a very specific letter about your goals, what you learned in their class, etc. Also give them papers you wrote for them. I think you'll find professors to be receptive if your efforts and they may write you a more personal rec as a result. I think even if you get a generic rec, with those numbers you have a shot at any of HYS.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:44 pm

virtual auto-admit at Harvard. all you need is average, just make sure they are not BELOW average. ask them if they are comfortable writing a positive LOR for you, something along those lines. a bad LOR can screw you but otherwise u are in great shape

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:50 pm

You have a great shot at Harvard, as long as your LORs don't say anything negative.

HJO

Postby HJO » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Talk to all your profs about your situation, also see if you can find any Harvard/Yale/Stanford alumni that you may have had as teachers and talk to them about what you are doing and let them know your stats/read your ps/etc. You never know how far a prof may be willing to for you. Also it would seem to be worth the $90 to throw an app at Yale, I really can't see why you wouldn't.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:08 pm

All you need are positive letters of recommendation. I went to a large state school, where I barely knew my professors. The professors I asked to write letters understood my situation and were more than happy to provide generic, "this is a good student" letters, even though they didn't know me beyond a good grade in a large lecture class and a few office visits.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Cavalier wrote:All you need are positive letters of recommendation. I went to a large state school, where I barely knew my professors. The professors I asked to write letters understood my situation and were more than happy to provide generic, "this is a good student" letters, even though they didn't know me beyond a good grade in a large lecture class and a few office visits.

Nice to see that UVA doesn't put too much weight into LORs, contrary to Jason Dugas's claims in his TLS interview, as long as they're positive.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Fuck HYS, Go to CCN for free.

Return to “What are my chances?”