How important is PS when Law School Predictor says ADMIT?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lesak1313

How important is PS when Law School Predictor says ADMIT?

Postby lesak1313 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 pm

If the Law School Predictor predicts admission based on LSAT score and GPA, is a strong personal statement very important? My PS isn't awful, but somewhat average and I don't have the time to invest into a brand new statement. I'll continue to tinker with it as deadlines approach, but just wanted to gauge its importance.

Jules Winnfield

Re: How important is PS when Law School Predictor says ADMIT?

Postby Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:03 pm

You should invest the extra effort in your PS. As this cycle seems more competitive, you should seek out every advantage. If it comes down to you and another candidate with similar numbers, you'll want to stand out in a good way.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:03 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about what LSP says. Your PS should always be as flawless as possible. That applies to reaches as well as safeties. As far as the reliability of LSP, don't assume that it is a perfect tool. I got into a "reject" and got rejected at an "admit"

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:07 pm

Fourthed, or whatever. LSP lied to me on several occasions, and even barring that fact, a sloppy PS is a red flag for adcomms.

Also, fwiw, customizing your PS for each school you're applying to isn't a bad idea at all. I think several of my waitlists were due to the fact that my application was clearly pretty generic, and the school wants to know you are interested in them and why.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:08 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
dakatz wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about what LSP says. Your PS should always be as flawless as possible. That applies to reaches as well as safeties. As far as the reliability of LSP, don't assume that it is a perfect tool. I got into a "reject" and got rejected at an "admit"

Sorry to hear that, man.

Oh no worries. The joy of getting into a school that was listed as a "reject" far offsets the anger at getting rejected from an "admit"

Return to “What are my chances?”