161/3.68...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jeremychristiansen

161/3.68...

Postby jeremychristiansen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:20 am

Here are my soft factors in case any one cares:

My 3.68 is actually a 4.0 post high school (concurrent enrollment grades when I was 16 years old)
Small public school
Spanish Major, Double Minor in Accounting and Business Management
non-URM
Fluent in Spanish (lived in Argentina two years 2006-2008)
Married with one child and another one on the way (I'm 23)
Very much involved on campus (clubs, appointed positions, etc)
Worked the past two years running a program for at-risk teenagers (managing large amounts of volunteers as well)

Here is my list:
BYU
Utah
Pepperdine
Baylor
Arizona
Wake Forest
UNLV
UVA (its my long bomb...everyone deserves to dream right?)

I am applying this fall. What do you guys think?

RadMobile

Re: 161/3.68...

Postby RadMobile » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:31 am

Wouldn't happen to be LDS would you? :P

I applied to Pepperdine and Baylor this last cycle with a little higher numbers. Got a full ride at Baylor and 15k at Pepperdine. Trying to decide between the two.

As for the other schools, I've got no idea. Good luck!

akili

Postby akili » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:43 am

I have a 160/3.8 and I got in to Wake Forest if that helps :D

dgsaudio

Postby dgsaudio » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:55 am

Exact same numbers (161/3.68), LDS, speak fluent Russian, married but no children, veteran with combat experience, utah resident, honor societies/clubs, etc. Here's how my cycle broke down this year, just to give you an idea.

Iowa - In
William & Mary - No response yet (assume waitlist or reject)
Washington & Lee - Waitlist
Georgia - Reject
Utah - Waitlist
Colorado - In
Florida State - In
ASU - No response yet
Kansas - In w/17,500 scholarship

Looking back I wish I had taken the LSAT again to bump up my chances for scholarships. Because I wanted to stay in state, I thought my 161 would be fine for Utah, but they waitlisted a lot of in-state applicants this year, and I was one of the lucky ones. I dont know what your career goals are, but a higher LSAT never hurts, and you have time to take it again before the fall.

dut99002

Postby dut99002 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:11 am

I've got a 162/3.6 and am applying this cycle (and I applied very late in the game). I have a February LSAT as well, so I am applying in a bit of an unorthodox manner.

Anyways, if your numbers remain unchanged I bet you'd have a good chance at all of them except for BYU and UVA. Make sure you apply early, unlike me. If you are up to it and have the time (while juggling wife, church, kids, volunteer work, etc.) why not retake the LSAT in June? Now's the time to start studying and to sign-up so that you have a seat.

I just got my first acceptance today and it was to Baylor for full-tuition. Pretty good cycle so far: 10 applications, 1 decision thus far and it was a full-ride!

Miracles happen. Be sure to highlight your family, 2-year sojourn turning down mate, your leadership and volunteer experiences (even through church) and write a sweet personal statement and you'll be good to go. That was what I tried hard to do on my apps and it's paid off thus far. You'll be applying much sooner as well so that will be to your advantage. Do yourself a favor and apply before Thanksgiving.

Good luck!

waverider

Postby waverider » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:45 am

akili wrote:I have a 160/3.8 and I got in to Wake Forest if that helps :D

Congrats to you... but this is not normal. I have a 161/3.5 and strong softs/ work experience and I'm fully expecting a waitlist or rejection.

jeremychristiansen

Postby jeremychristiansen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:02 am

I am deciding if I am going to retake the LSAT or not. I was surprised by my score though, I thought I was going to score mid 160's. My plan right now is to apply the first day that each school accepts applications. I already have my professors working on letters of recommendation which are going to be super strong (they know me very well, one has a JD and has said he thinks I will do very well in law school, we meet outside of class often and just shoot the bull about constitutional interpretation etc). UVA is of course my number one pick, so I figured no matter what my LSAT is I would apply ED with an additional "Why UVA" statement. I pretty much just hated studying for the LSAT. I am not a big believer in it. My sister who was scoring in the 170's in her practice tests scored a 158 on the real thing, barely got in at BYU and finished her first year near the top of the class with the highest paying summer job at a large firm in SLC who then offered her employment for when she graduated and she is now there in their corporate litigation section livin' the dream. She was an editor for law review etc. The LSAT to me seems like a large and obnoxious hoop through which we are all required to jump, but some have more time to prepare for the jumping, or have proved to be really good jumpers already. I prepped a lot for the February test I just have lots of other things going on (for those who are LDS I am also in a bishopric which...well you get the point). I don't have any more full length tests, so any prep between now and june would be going through everything I have already seen in much greater detail than before. Would that do much?

akili

Postby akili » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:36 pm

waverider wrote:
akili wrote:I have a 160/3.8 and I got in to Wake Forest if that helps :D

Congrats to you... but this is not normal. I have a 161/3.5 and strong softs/ work experience and I'm fully expecting a waitlist or rejection.

If you look on LSN, it looks like my GPA was the thing they wanted. It was pretty weird. I was expecting to ride some waitlist with it. I wouldn't sell yourself short. Plus, I applied after the Dec LSAT so it wasn't even that early!

Return to “What are my chances?”