172/3.78

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lakerfanimal

172/3.78

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:43 am

Edited out
Last edited by lakerfanimal on Sun May 09, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

toolshed

Re: 172/3.78

Postby toolshed » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 am

lakerfanimal wrote:I've looked at all the calculators and LSN, just asking for some opinions :)
Only applying in the fall of 2010 (next cycle). I have 2 LSAT scores, 166 and a 172 on the re-take.

Softs: various leadership all through college, two internships (one at a legal department), community service working in the juvenile dependency system while being a mentor figure, a year of working experience entering law school (ideally doing LSAT prep instruction, and also doing some non-paid work at a local law firm), and phi beta kappa. 2 decent/good academic letters of Rec and 1 professional from one of the internships (and another academic letter of rec I'm saving for waitlists). I'm dedicating most of the next 3 months to creating a good personal statement, and I'll have my apps in by the earliest date to mid october fwiw. My top three are basically Stanford/Berkeley and NYU. Applying to all of these schools, what are my chances please:

Stanford--Out
Berkeley--WL, Out
NYU--In
Harvard--Out
Columbia--WL, could go either way.
Chicago--Maybe In, kinda on the bubble here
Michigan--In, $
Penn--In
UVA--Normally I would say In, but I got WL'd
Duke--In, $$
Northwestern--Probably In.
Cornell--In, $$
Georgetown--In, $$
UCLA--In, $$
USC--In, $$
Texas--In, $$
Vanderbilt--Probably In, I got WL'd
WUSTL--In, $$

Thanks a bunch! :)

I have very similar numbers, applied early, and a lot more work experience. The above reflects my opinion based on my own cycle.

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:33 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:I've looked at all the calculators and LSN, just asking for some opinions :)
Only applying in the fall of 2010 (next cycle). I have 2 LSAT scores, 166 and a 172 on the re-take.

Softs: various leadership all through college, two internships (one at a legal department), community service working in the juvenile dependency system while being a mentor figure, a year of working experience entering law school (ideally doing LSAT prep instruction, and also doing some non-paid work at a local law firm), and phi beta kappa. 2 decent/good academic letters of Rec and 1 professional from one of the internships (and another academic letter of rec I'm saving for waitlists). I'm dedicating most of the next 3 months to creating a good personal statement, and I'll have my apps in by the earliest date to mid october fwiw. My top three are basically Stanford/Berkeley and NYU. Applying to all of these schools, what are my chances please:

NYU- IN
Harvard- OUT
Columbia- HOLD
Chicago- IN
Michigan- WL
Penn- IN
UVA
Duke- IN
Cornell- IN
Georgetown- IN

hey...i filled in the above schools based on my cycle's results thus far. I withdrew from UVA before decision, but I expected to be waitlisted due to yield protection. My numbers were 3.67/172 (one test take). straight out of undergrad. so you have a slightly better GPA, so with a tight application you should hopefully see similar results to mine if not better. good luck

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks toolshed, and hopefullaw I hope so dude!

Also, I'm graduating with honors in econ, and I have a poli sci double major with a 3.9 in both majors if that matters any. I'm also visiting USC, Stanford, and Berkeley within the next 2 months and will be tailoring my personal statement for Berkeley towards Berkeley (haven't visited yet, but from everything I've heard I feel I'd be extremely happy there so it's basically my top choice maybe slightly ahead of Stanford).

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:44 pm

Stanford - OUT
Berkeley - WL/IN
NYU - IN
Harvard - OUT
Columbia - IN
Chicago - IN
Michigan - IN
Penn - IN
UVA - IN
Duke - IN
Northwestern - IN
Cornell - IN
Georgetown - IN

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:47 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:Thanks toolshed, and hopefullaw I hope so dude!

Also, I'm graduating with honors in econ, and I have a poli sci double major with a 3.9 in both majors if that matters any. I'm also visiting USC, Stanford, and Berkeley within the next 2 months and will be tailoring my personal statement for Berkeley towards Berkeley (haven't visited yet, but from everything I've heard I feel I'd be extremely happy there so it's basically my top choice maybe slightly ahead of Stanford).

Double major probably doesn't do much. 3.9 in your major helps, but the school still has to use the 3.78.

Do all the work you can for Berk if you really want it (visit, optional essays, apply the first day the app is available, etc). 3.78 is a good GPA, but Berkeley loves them higher. You are on the cusp for them this year, and who knows what will happen next year? Also, your two LSATs throw a little bit of a wrench in it as well.

I just don't see Harvard or Stanford happening. I could be wrong, but I think you would need a few more LSAT points, especially with multiple takes.

Either way, you should be in at most of the rest of the T14, so you shouldn't have to worry too much. Good luck.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:39 pm

toolshed wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:Thanks toolshed, and hopefullaw I hope so dude!

Double major probably doesn't do much. 3.9 in your major helps, but the school still has to use the 3.78.

Do all the work you can for Berk if you really want it (visit, optional essays, apply the first day the app is available, etc). 3.78 is a good GPA, but Berkeley loves them higher. You are on the cusp for them this year, and who knows what will happen next year? Also, your two LSATs throw a little bit of a wrench in it as well.

I just don't see Harvard or Stanford happening. I could be wrong, but I think you would need a few more LSAT points, especially with multiple takes.

Either way, you should be in at most of the rest of the T14, so you shouldn't have to worry too much. Good luck.

Hmmm gotcha. Yeah I'm hoping I can keep in touch with the admissions people even if that doesn't help much at all. Yeah, but they only take the higher score now no questions asked, but I do agree with you in that it is certainly a factor that works against me.

Yeah I don't see H or S happening either haha, but that's why they're called reaches right :p

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:51 pm

In everywhere except Stanford, Harvard, and possibly Columbia.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:06 pm

im_blue wrote:In everywhere except Stanford, Harvard, and possibly Columbia.

I definitely hope you're right, that'd be a dream cycle for me even with the rejections at those places.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:14 pm

I have a 173/3.73 with signifigant work experience. Also with two LSAT scores.

So far, I've gotten into NYU, Northwestern and Georgetown in the T14. Still waiting on Columbia, Chicago and Harvard (longshot). I've also gotten several full tuition or close offers in the T30, including WUSTL, BC and Minnesota.

(I got YPd at Michigan and expect the same at Virginia and Penn.)

We have similar numbers. I bet our cycles are similar.

It sounds like your soft aren't that great, so Stanford and Harvard are out. That might hurt you at Berkeley, too. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. You will get at least one and quite possibly all three of CCN, and if you can avoid YP, have some $$ options in the T10.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:15 pm

im_blue wrote:In everywhere except Stanford, Harvard, and possibly Columbia.

Columbia should bite. Berkeley might be a little tougher (they put a lot of emphasis on GPA). H & S are big longshots, but are still possible.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Hmm gotcha, thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping an upward grade trend helps at Boalt, but yeah the reality is they will use my 3.78 :?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:02 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:Hmm gotcha, thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping an upward grade trend helps at Boalt, but yeah the reality is they will use my 3.78 :?

Yeah, it looks like Berkeley's going to be 50/50 with your 3.78, but you should be safe for NYU and likely Columbia too.
http://berkeley.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

Return to “What are my chances?”