international from Canada

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mtl116
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:42 pm

international from Canada

Postby mtl116 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:43 pm

I go to school in Montreal (McGill). My GPA is 3.86 and my LSAT score is 170. I have no extra curriculars/soft factors other than working at a law firm for 2 summers and being fluent in French. The schools im applying to are:
Stanford
NYU
Chicago
Penn
Michigan
Cornell
GULC
If you can think any other schools that are a good fit for my numbers let me know. Also my safeties are in Canada.

Royal68
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: international from Canada

Postby Royal68 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:57 pm

WOW!! a 3.86 from McGill. I got to McMaster and i dont even think they give those marks out.

urban_cdn
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: international from Canada

Postby urban_cdn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:24 pm

mtl116 wrote:I go to school in Montreal (McGill). My GPA is 3.86 and my LSAT score is 170. I have no extra curriculars/soft factors other than working at a law firm for 2 summers and being fluent in French. The schools im applying to are:
Stanford
NYU
Chicago
Penn
Michigan
Cornell
GULC
If you can think any other schools that are a good fit for my numbers let me know. Also my safeties are in Canada.


always nice to see other mcgill students on here! :) i'd usually say not to bother applying anywhere else if those are the only schools you really want to go to -b/c your numbers are quite strong. but its pretty late into the cycle so it might be worth applying to a few other places you would consider (duke? uva?) i got into GULC and Michigan with a 3.51 from mcgill and a 172 if that helps you gage things at all - but again, i applied much earlier (october). and yeah congrats on the 3.86 - i feel like i nearly died pulling out my 3.5 here so kudos to you hahaha whats your major?

mtl116
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: international from Canada

Postby mtl116 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:47 pm

I haven't applied yet, I'm taking a year off after graduation. My major is sociology and minor is economics. Thanks for the information. Also, I think some of the departments at McGill are more generous with grades than others.

mtl116
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: international from Canada

Postby mtl116 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:47 pm

where did you end up going?

urban_cdn
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: international from Canada

Postby urban_cdn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:12 pm

mtl116 wrote:I haven't applied yet, I'm taking a year off after graduation. My major is sociology and minor is economics. Thanks for the information. Also, I think some of the departments at McGill are more generous with grades than others.



ohhh ok, i didn't realize you meant for next cycle - i thought you were applying after deadline for this year or something. if its for next year i think you'd have a good chance at all those schools you listed! however, unless you have a reason for going to the states or are 100% sure you want to practice down there instead of in canada i wouldn't really recommend an american law school - i'd aim for u of t. an american law degree is not entirely transferable to canada - there would be a process involved after you graduate (which i don't know much about but am assuming isn't a complete walk in the park haha).

urban_cdn
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: international from Canada

Postby urban_cdn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:12 pm

mtl116 wrote:where did you end up going?



i'll be starting at michigan in the fall :)

pattymac
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: international from Canada

Postby pattymac » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 am

Seriously, whats up with Canadian schools giving out low grades? My class has 180 kids approx, and 2 are on the Dean's list. What gives?

I've got a friend at a local American University...he told me he does absolutely nothing and has a 3.3. I would literally have to KILL myself studying for a 3.3 at my University. All our curriculum is huge research papers and presentations. You've literally got no shot at an A+.

mtl116
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: international from Canada

Postby mtl116 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:29 pm

2 kids out of 180 on the dean's list is ridiculous! It's the top 10% of your faculty for the dean's list at McGill.

User avatar
dibs
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: international from Canada

Postby dibs » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:14 pm

i don't think the problem is the canadian schools. the american system suffers from hyper-inflated grades. hence why lsac asks for your class rank. there are many, many reasons why.

sch6les
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:19 pm

.

Postby sch6les » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:28 am

.
Last edited by sch6les on Tue May 01, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: international from Canada

Postby calicocat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:30 am

Hey OP, you have pretty sick chances at all of those schools except for Stanford. NYU might be a bit hard to swing with that LSAT too. Have you considered retaking at all? 3 more points or so would make a world of difference imo. I'm a Canadian too and just finished with my cycle. PM me if you have any questions.

Also I'd apply to a couple of non-t14s like UT and UCLA, they are solid schools and you could get some decent money out of them.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: international from Canada

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:30 am

calicocat wrote:[strike]Hey OP, you have pretty sick chances at all of those schools except for Stanford. NYU might be a bit hard to swing with that LSAT too. Have you considered retaking at all? 3 more points or so would make a world of difference imo.[/strike]I'm a Canadian too [strike]and just finished with my cycle. PM me if you have any questions.

Also I'd apply to a couple of non-t14s like UT and UCLA, they are solid schools and you could get some decent money out of them.
[/strike]


Solidarity

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: international from Canada

Postby calicocat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:54 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
calicocat wrote:[strike]Hey OP, you have pretty sick chances at all of those schools except for Stanford. NYU might be a bit hard to swing with that LSAT too. Have you considered retaking at all? 3 more points or so would make a world of difference imo.[/strike]I'm a Canadian too [strike]and just finished with my cycle. PM me if you have any questions.

Also I'd apply to a couple of non-t14s like UT and UCLA, they are solid schools and you could get some decent money out of them.
[/strike]


Solidarity

I hate you

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: international from Canada

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 am

Oh cc, what a surprise to see you here. How odd that we always run into each other. ;)




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest