international from Canada

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mtl116

international from Canada

Postby mtl116 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:43 pm

I go to school in Montreal (McGill). My GPA is 3.86 and my LSAT score is 170. I have no extra curriculars/soft factors other than working at a law firm for 2 summers and being fluent in French. The schools im applying to are:
Stanford
NYU
Chicago
Penn
Michigan
Cornell
GULC
If you can think any other schools that are a good fit for my numbers let me know. Also my safeties are in Canada.

Royal68

Re: international from Canada

Postby Royal68 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:57 pm

WOW!! a 3.86 from McGill. I got to McMaster and i dont even think they give those marks out.

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:24 pm

mtl116 wrote:I go to school in Montreal (McGill). My GPA is 3.86 and my LSAT score is 170. I have no extra curriculars/soft factors other than working at a law firm for 2 summers and being fluent in French. The schools im applying to are:
Stanford
NYU
Chicago
Penn
Michigan
Cornell
GULC
If you can think any other schools that are a good fit for my numbers let me know. Also my safeties are in Canada.

always nice to see other mcgill students on here! :) i'd usually say not to bother applying anywhere else if those are the only schools you really want to go to -b/c your numbers are quite strong. but its pretty late into the cycle so it might be worth applying to a few other places you would consider (duke? uva?) i got into GULC and Michigan with a 3.51 from mcgill and a 172 if that helps you gage things at all - but again, i applied much earlier (october). and yeah congrats on the 3.86 - i feel like i nearly died pulling out my 3.5 here so kudos to you hahaha whats your major?

mtl116

Postby mtl116 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:47 pm

I haven't applied yet, I'm taking a year off after graduation. My major is sociology and minor is economics. Thanks for the information. Also, I think some of the departments at McGill are more generous with grades than others.

mtl116

Postby mtl116 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:47 pm

where did you end up going?

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:12 pm

mtl116 wrote:I haven't applied yet, I'm taking a year off after graduation. My major is sociology and minor is economics. Thanks for the information. Also, I think some of the departments at McGill are more generous with grades than others.

ohhh ok, i didn't realize you meant for next cycle - i thought you were applying after deadline for this year or something. if its for next year i think you'd have a good chance at all those schools you listed! however, unless you have a reason for going to the states or are 100% sure you want to practice down there instead of in canada i wouldn't really recommend an american law school - i'd aim for u of t. an american law degree is not entirely transferable to canada - there would be a process involved after you graduate (which i don't know much about but am assuming isn't a complete walk in the park haha).

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:12 pm

mtl116 wrote:where did you end up going?

i'll be starting at michigan in the fall :)

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 am

Seriously, whats up with Canadian schools giving out low grades? My class has 180 kids approx, and 2 are on the Dean's list. What gives?

I've got a friend at a local American University...he told me he does absolutely nothing and has a 3.3. I would literally have to KILL myself studying for a 3.3 at my University. All our curriculum is huge research papers and presentations. You've literally got no shot at an A+.

mtl116

Postby mtl116 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:29 pm

2 kids out of 180 on the dean's list is ridiculous! It's the top 10% of your faculty for the dean's list at McGill.

dibs

Postby dibs » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:14 pm

i don't think the problem is the canadian schools. the american system suffers from hyper-inflated grades. hence why lsac asks for your class rank. there are many, many reasons why.

sch6les

Postby sch6les » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:28 am

Last edited by sch6les on Tue May 01, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:30 am

Hey OP, you have pretty sick chances at all of those schools except for Stanford. NYU might be a bit hard to swing with that LSAT too. Have you considered retaking at all? 3 more points or so would make a world of difference imo. I'm a Canadian too and just finished with my cycle. PM me if you have any questions.

Also I'd apply to a couple of non-t14s like UT and UCLA, they are solid schools and you could get some decent money out of them.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:30 am

calicocat wrote:[strike]Hey OP, you have pretty sick chances at all of those schools except for Stanford. NYU might be a bit hard to swing with that LSAT too. Have you considered retaking at all? 3 more points or so would make a world of difference imo.[/strike]I'm a Canadian too [strike]and just finished with my cycle. PM me if you have any questions.

Also I'd apply to a couple of non-t14s like UT and UCLA, they are solid schools and you could get some decent money out of them.
[/strike]

Solidarity

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:54 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
calicocat wrote:[strike]Hey OP, you have pretty sick chances at all of those schools except for Stanford. NYU might be a bit hard to swing with that LSAT too. Have you considered retaking at all? 3 more points or so would make a world of difference imo.[/strike]I'm a Canadian too [strike]and just finished with my cycle. PM me if you have any questions.

[/strike]

Solidarity

I hate you

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 am

Oh cc, what a surprise to see you here. How odd that we always run into each other. ;)

Return to “What are my chances?”