Selecting a minor to raise G.P.A

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
GMU3030

Selecting a minor to raise G.P.A

Postby GMU3030 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:01 pm

I have just calculated my LSAC G.P.A. and have realized that it is going to be a lot lower than expected. I am a Philosophy major with a concentration in philosophy of law and a minor in legal studies. I'm considering taking on a second minor for the boost the extra credits will give my G.P.A. Does anyone know if the area of study matters? Specifically, I'm curious to know whether there is a qualitative difference between say Math or English? Incidentally, those are the two that I'm looking at. It seems to me that that so long as I continue un upward trend in my G.P.A and do well overall in either area; it should not matter. Although, I figure it doesn't hurt to get some additional insight. ,

jks289

Re: Selecting a minor to raise G.P.A

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:03 pm

GMU3030 wrote:I have just calculated my LSAC G.P.A. and have realized that it is going to be a lot lower than expected. I am a Philosophy major with a concentration in philosophy of law and a minor in legal studies. I'm considering taking on a second minor for the boost the extra credits will give my G.P.A. Does anyone know if the area of study matters? Specifically, I'm curious to know whether there is a qualitative difference between say Math or English? Incidentally, those are the two that I'm looking at. It seems to me that that so long as I continue un upward trend in my G.P.A and do well overall in either area; it should not matter. Although, I figure it doesn't hurt to get some additional insight. ,

You're smart to work on increasing your GPA. I don't think the minor matters. Pick whatever you can do better in.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:05 pm

cant you just take extra classes with out making it a minor? I would just take all the easy electives I possibly can.

GMU3030

Postby GMU3030 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Well, to be honest, I have some pretty bad looking transcripts. I was in the military and had to take all F's for one semester and the very next semester had to withdraw from all my classes. Of course I will be explaining this in my applications, however, I still want to establish my complete effort to make myself the strongest candidate possible. Until today I was a lot less distraught. I did not know that re-taking a course counted against you in overall LSAC G.P.A. calculation. Accordingly, I figured that I would retake my courses and still make a decent UGPA. Now with this news, I realize that I will need to acquire a whole lot more credits to raise my LSAC GPA anywhere near where I want it. Hopefully the fact that I joined the military out of high school after 911, am an Iraq veteran, have been married with children during my entire college career, and have worked as a medical professional both in the military and as a civilian, also during my entire undergrad, will be good enough to get me where I want to be.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:41 pm

being in the military is the best soft after crazy things like founding google, curing AIDS, etc.

however, they will still look at your numbers b4 your softs.

therefore, assuming you have not graduated yet then take as many classes as possible. Easy classes, look up on ratemyprofessor.com which classes will get you a guaranteed A's. Area of study doesn't matter. GPA does. Good luck!

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:48 pm

At first I thought the thread was about adopting a kid..... nvm

GMU3030

Postby GMU3030 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:25 pm

At first I thought the thread was about adopting a kid..... nvm

Made my day.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:34 pm

Ragged wrote:At first I thought the thread was about adopting a kid..... nvm

I assumed it was about adopting an Asian kid.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Your GPA will go way up after he does all your math homework! :lol:

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:54 pm

im_blue wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Your GPA will go way up after he does all your math homework! :lol:

I could have used one for diff eq.

Return to “What are my chances?”