Help me please (reach/target/safety) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chunkystrohs

New

Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Post by chunkystrohs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:19 pm

LSAT: 168
GPA: 3.7 (not ivy)
Softs/LORs: nothing terribly exciting; (PS about being in foster care)

Reaches: Berkeley?, Michigan, Duke, GULC, Cornell, Vanderbilt, Texas, UCLA

Target: WUSTL, UIUC, BU/BC, ND, USC

Safety: Loyola, Ohio State, Wisconsin

Assuming I will not retake the LSAT, what would you add/subtract or move around on this list? I would like biglaw, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't happen. Still, I'd probably go to the best place I got into unless I was given a ton of money from somewhere decent. I'm from Chicago, but I don't really have a preference for which region I end up in.

Thanks

im_blue

Gold

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Post by im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:33 pm

You have decent chances at Cornell, Vandy, Texas, and UCLA, but the other T14's on your list are reaches.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 pm

You have a really good list for your numbers, I think.

Have you only taken the LSAT once? If you took it again and improved just 2 points, to a 170, you'd be a lock to land somewhere in the lower half of the T14.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 pm

This cycle, with those numbers, I was in at Vandy with $$. Texas and Duke haven't gotten back to me, but I applied fairly late. You'd have a shot at Cornell and Michigan. You should get into WUSTL with some nice cash, not sure about the other targets.

List looks pretty solid.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:48 pm

This cycle with a 168/3.9 (non-traditional) I was in at Michigan ($) and Waitlisted at Duke. Cornell dicked me around for a while so I withdrew after being Held.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:49 pm

"not Ivy"... not all non-Ivy schools are the same. (There IS a difference between Stanford and Western Illinois).

chunkystrohs

New

Post by chunkystrohs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:22 pm

thinkbig wrote:"not Ivy"... not all non-Ivy schools are the same. (There IS a difference between Stanford and Western Illinois).
Yeah, should have clarified. I just meant I didn't go to an incredible school (loyola).

lebob

New

Post by lebob » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:39 pm

well, i don't know about a 168, but i can tell you how a 167 might do:
i have a 3.7x, 167

as of today, i am shut out of every school in the top 12, waitlisted in the 14-15 range, and in at places below. basically, i got into the places that i was supposed to get into and rejected from places i was supposed to be rejected from, based on the school medians. i heard that it was harsh, but i never knew that the standards were THIS accurate. it's kind of sad seeing how little my gpa matters.

thus, hellloooo june 2010 lsat.

wasting another year of my life on another cycle, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

k im done venting.

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:36 am

I know I am disregarding your instructions to assume you're not retaking, OP, but unless you feel you truly exhausted your preparation for the 168, I'd retake. You are right in the range where more or less arbitrary small differences in your LSAT score have an oversized impact on your prospects of admission.

Double down on the prep and bump it to 170-172, and it is an entirely different ballgame.
Last edited by yeff on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:52 am

chunkystrohs wrote:LSAT: 168

Assuming I will not retake the LSAT, what would you add/subtract or move around on this list? I would like biglaw, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't happen. Still, I'd probably go to the best place I got into unless I was given a ton of money from somewhere decent. I'm from Chicago, but I don't really have a preference for which region I end up in.

Thanks
Consider adding:
-Emory and W&L, both places where you have a decent shot at serious $$$.
-Northwestern if you have at least one year of work experience.

Consider getting rid of:
-One or two (or all) of your safeties. I don't see how you could go 0/6 on those targets. I actually don't see how you could not get at least one of those target schools to offer some $.
-Berkeley. Prob not going to happen, unless you have some killer softs you haven't mentioned. That said, if it's a dream school and you don't mind paying the app fee, then go for it.

If you have the time to study for the June test and feel you can improve just a few points it would make you a lot more competitive for T14. You are right on the cusp with that score and run the very possible risk of getting shut out.

chunkystrohs

New

Post by chunkystrohs » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:34 am

I appreciate all the input.

I'm not too confident that I could raise my score. I put a good amount of time into studying and took about 30 PTs with a 166 average. I occasionally scored in the 170s, but those were outliers. So, I'm not positive if retaking would be a great idea for me.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:38 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
chunkystrohs wrote:LSAT: 168

Thanks
Consider adding:
-Northwestern if you have at least one year of work experience.

Consider getting rid of:
-One or two (or all) of your safeties. I don't see how you could go 0/6 on those targets. I actually don't see how you could not get at least one of those target schools to offer some $.
-Berkeley. Prob not going to happen, unless you have some killer softs you haven't mentioned. That said, if it's a dream school and you don't mind paying the app fee, then go for it.

If you have the time to study for the June test and feel you can improve just a few points it would make you a lot more competitive for T14. You are right on the cusp with that score and run the very possible risk of getting shut out.
+1 If you like WUSTL and could see yourself there, you can drop the safeties. A 168 is all but a guaranteed admit if you don't apply late. Same for UIUC. You're actually likely to go 6/6 on your targets.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:39 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote: Consider adding:

Consider getting rid of:
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

glowhard

New

Post by glowhard » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:47 am

anyone think i'm crazy to suggest adding NYU? Your LSAT's a little low for them (yes, you already know that), but I think they might give you a second look if your PS is really good. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I know a lot of interesting applicants with low numbers who got NYU love.

Also, something I wish I knew going in: apply to "good match" schools you don't want to go to if you're going to want to negotiate scholarship money.

Bauer24

New

Post by Bauer24 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:18 am

Given your stats, it wouldn't be crazy to try anywhere except for Yale/Harvard/Stanford/Columbia..

I'd consider Berkely, Michigan, Duke, GULC, Vanderbilt & UCLA to all be reaches- schools which you are about 50/50 with.. you could reasonably get in- whether it's right away or off the waitlist.

The other places (including Cornell) will likely take you.
Chances of getting money are high at your safeties, UIUC, BU, BC, ND & USC! You don't need to apply to all of these and I'd recommend cutting that list in half.

As someone already said, I'd add Emory to the list- if finances are a concern of yours.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:17 pm

glowhard wrote:anyone think i'm crazy to suggest adding NYU? Your LSAT's a little low for them (yes, you already know that), but I think they might give you a second look if your PS is really good. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I know a lot of interesting applicants with low numbers who got NYU love.
Yes. NYU is the biggest numbers whore of CCN, and OP's numbers are below both medians -> auto-reject. NYU does take some reverse splitters of the 3.9/168 variety, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”