Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chunkystrohs
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby chunkystrohs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:19 pm

LSAT: 168
GPA: 3.7 (not ivy)
Softs/LORs: nothing terribly exciting; (PS about being in foster care)


Reaches: Berkeley?, Michigan, Duke, GULC, Cornell, Vanderbilt, Texas, UCLA

Target: WUSTL, UIUC, BU/BC, ND, USC

Safety: Loyola, Ohio State, Wisconsin


Assuming I will not retake the LSAT, what would you add/subtract or move around on this list? I would like biglaw, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't happen. Still, I'd probably go to the best place I got into unless I was given a ton of money from somewhere decent. I'm from Chicago, but I don't really have a preference for which region I end up in.

Thanks

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:33 pm

You have decent chances at Cornell, Vandy, Texas, and UCLA, but the other T14's on your list are reaches.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby scribelaw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 pm

You have a really good list for your numbers, I think.

Have you only taken the LSAT once? If you took it again and improved just 2 points, to a 170, you'd be a lock to land somewhere in the lower half of the T14.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 pm

This cycle, with those numbers, I was in at Vandy with $$. Texas and Duke haven't gotten back to me, but I applied fairly late. You'd have a shot at Cornell and Michigan. You should get into WUSTL with some nice cash, not sure about the other targets.

List looks pretty solid.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:48 pm

This cycle with a 168/3.9 (non-traditional) I was in at Michigan ($) and Waitlisted at Duke. Cornell dicked me around for a while so I withdrew after being Held.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby thinkbig » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:49 pm

"not Ivy"... not all non-Ivy schools are the same. (There IS a difference between Stanford and Western Illinois).

chunkystrohs
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby chunkystrohs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:22 pm

thinkbig wrote:"not Ivy"... not all non-Ivy schools are the same. (There IS a difference between Stanford and Western Illinois).


Yeah, should have clarified. I just meant I didn't go to an incredible school (loyola).

User avatar
lebob
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby lebob » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:39 pm

well, i don't know about a 168, but i can tell you how a 167 might do:
i have a 3.7x, 167

as of today, i am shut out of every school in the top 12, waitlisted in the 14-15 range, and in at places below. basically, i got into the places that i was supposed to get into and rejected from places i was supposed to be rejected from, based on the school medians. i heard that it was harsh, but i never knew that the standards were THIS accurate. it's kind of sad seeing how little my gpa matters.

thus, hellloooo june 2010 lsat.

wasting another year of my life on another cycle, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

k im done venting.

yeff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby yeff » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:36 am

I know I am disregarding your instructions to assume you're not retaking, OP, but unless you feel you truly exhausted your preparation for the 168, I'd retake. You are right in the range where more or less arbitrary small differences in your LSAT score have an oversized impact on your prospects of admission.

Double down on the prep and bump it to 170-172, and it is an entirely different ballgame.
Last edited by yeff on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:52 am

chunkystrohs wrote:LSAT: 168
GPA: 3.7 (not ivy)
Softs/LORs: nothing terribly exciting; (PS about being in foster care)


Reaches: Berkeley?, Michigan, Duke, GULC, Cornell, Vanderbilt, Texas, UCLA

Target: WUSTL, UIUC, BU/BC, ND, USC

Safety: Loyola, Ohio State, Wisconsin


Assuming I will not retake the LSAT, what would you add/subtract or move around on this list? I would like biglaw, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't happen. Still, I'd probably go to the best place I got into unless I was given a ton of money from somewhere decent. I'm from Chicago, but I don't really have a preference for which region I end up in.

Thanks


Consider adding:
-Emory and W&L, both places where you have a decent shot at serious $$$.
-Northwestern if you have at least one year of work experience.

Consider getting rid of:
-One or two (or all) of your safeties. I don't see how you could go 0/6 on those targets. I actually don't see how you could not get at least one of those target schools to offer some $.
-Berkeley. Prob not going to happen, unless you have some killer softs you haven't mentioned. That said, if it's a dream school and you don't mind paying the app fee, then go for it.

If you have the time to study for the June test and feel you can improve just a few points it would make you a lot more competitive for T14. You are right on the cusp with that score and run the very possible risk of getting shut out.

chunkystrohs
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby chunkystrohs » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:34 am

I appreciate all the input.

I'm not too confident that I could raise my score. I put a good amount of time into studying and took about 30 PTs with a 166 average. I occasionally scored in the 170s, but those were outliers. So, I'm not positive if retaking would be a great idea for me.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:38 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
chunkystrohs wrote:LSAT: 168
GPA: 3.7 (not ivy)
Softs/LORs: nothing terribly exciting; (PS about being in foster care)


Reaches: Berkeley?, Michigan, Duke, GULC, Cornell, Vanderbilt, Texas, UCLA

Target: WUSTL, UIUC, BU/BC, ND, USC

Safety: Loyola, Ohio State, Wisconsin


Assuming I will not retake the LSAT, what would you add/subtract or move around on this list? I would like biglaw, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't happen. Still, I'd probably go to the best place I got into unless I was given a ton of money from somewhere decent. I'm from Chicago, but I don't really have a preference for which region I end up in.

Thanks


Consider adding:
-Emory and W&L, both places where you have a decent shot at serious $$$.
-Northwestern if you have at least one year of work experience.

Consider getting rid of:
-One or two (or all) of your safeties. I don't see how you could go 0/6 on those targets. I actually don't see how you could not get at least one of those target schools to offer some $.
-Berkeley. Prob not going to happen, unless you have some killer softs you haven't mentioned. That said, if it's a dream school and you don't mind paying the app fee, then go for it.

If you have the time to study for the June test and feel you can improve just a few points it would make you a lot more competitive for T14. You are right on the cusp with that score and run the very possible risk of getting shut out.

+1 If you like WUSTL and could see yourself there, you can drop the safeties. A 168 is all but a guaranteed admit if you don't apply late. Same for UIUC. You're actually likely to go 6/6 on your targets.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:39 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Consider adding:
-Emory and W&L, both places where you have a decent shot at serious $$$.

Consider getting rid of:
-One or two (or all) of your safeties. I don't see how you could go 0/6 on those targets. I actually don't see how you could not get at least one of those target schools to offer some $.


+1

User avatar
glowhard
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby glowhard » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:47 am

anyone think i'm crazy to suggest adding NYU? Your LSAT's a little low for them (yes, you already know that), but I think they might give you a second look if your PS is really good. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I know a lot of interesting applicants with low numbers who got NYU love.

Also, something I wish I knew going in: apply to "good match" schools you don't want to go to if you're going to want to negotiate scholarship money.

User avatar
Bauer24
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 2:53 am

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby Bauer24 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:18 am

Reaches: Berkeley?, Michigan, Duke, GULC, Cornell, Vanderbilt, Texas, UCLA

Target: WUSTL, UIUC, BU/BC, ND, USC

Safety: Loyola, Ohio State, Wisconsin

Given your stats, it wouldn't be crazy to try anywhere except for Yale/Harvard/Stanford/Columbia..

I'd consider Berkely, Michigan, Duke, GULC, Vanderbilt & UCLA to all be reaches- schools which you are about 50/50 with.. you could reasonably get in- whether it's right away or off the waitlist.

The other places (including Cornell) will likely take you.
Chances of getting money are high at your safeties, UIUC, BU, BC, ND & USC! You don't need to apply to all of these and I'd recommend cutting that list in half.

As someone already said, I'd add Emory to the list- if finances are a concern of yours.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Help me please (reach/target/safety)

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:17 pm

glowhard wrote:anyone think i'm crazy to suggest adding NYU? Your LSAT's a little low for them (yes, you already know that), but I think they might give you a second look if your PS is really good. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I know a lot of interesting applicants with low numbers who got NYU love.


Yes. NYU is the biggest numbers whore of CCN, and OP's numbers are below both medians -> auto-reject. NYU does take some reverse splitters of the 3.9/168 variety, though.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Late Game and 8 guests