3.97/177; 2007 Grad -- YHS? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Zatarra

New

3.97/177; 2007 Grad -- YHS?

Post by Zatarra » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:34 pm

Had been planning to apply this cycle, however, a few issues caused me to have to cancel my Dec 09 score and retake in Feb. Scored a 177, right on par with my PTs. Graduated with a 3.97 from an Ivy -- English/Psych double.

Have pretty good softs through undergrad and post (two years teaching High School English in Japan till Aug 09), but the last few months have been rough (no steady job, freelancing and living off savings), and I'm applying for Class of 2011.

Given the six months until apps are due, any advice on how best to spend that time to improve my YHS chances, or should my existing qualifications be enough? Would rather spend the time working on passion projects (film production and iPhone app development) but could take a job at a law firm if that might help (interned at a Manhattan firm during undergrad), but I'm worried a resume with no steady employment for a full year might look bad.

Any other advice on trying to lock up spot at the big three?

Thanks for the help!

im_blue

Gold

Re: 3.97/177; 2007 Grad -- YHS?

Post by im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:35 pm

You're absolutely a lock for Harvard, with good chances at YS.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Just make sure you have a good personal statement and that you have good letter writers, and you'll be in at Harvard and probably Yale and Stanford (but no guarantees with those schools).

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Zatarra wrote:Had been planning to apply this cycle, however, a few issues caused me to have to cancel my Dec 09 score and retake in Feb. Scored a 177, right on par with my PTs. Graduated with a 3.97 from an Ivy -- English/Psych double.

Have pretty good softs through undergrad and post (two years teaching High School English in Japan till Aug 09), but the last few months have been rough (no steady job, freelancing and living off savings), and I'm applying for Class of 2011.

Given the six months until apps are due, any advice on how best to spend that time to improve my YHS chances, or should my existing qualifications be enough? Would rather spend the time working on passion projects (film production and iPhone app development) but could take a job at a law firm if that might help (interned at a Manhattan firm during undergrad), but I'm worried a resume with no steady employment for a full year might look bad.

Any other advice on trying to lock up spot at the big three?

Thanks for the help!
you could spend the next several months sitting at home twiddling your fingers and never venturing outside and I'd still give you a 90%+ chance at getting into either H,Y, or S.

Most likely your in to at least 2 of the 3.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zatarra

New

Post by Zatarra » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Quick responses! Thanks! I was afraid that bizarre Voodoo-admissions-magic going on at Yale and Stanford might prove to make things a bit unpredictable! ;) As it seems softs are pretty important, here's a bit more clarification.

I've been unemployed partly due to a medical scare forcing some time off [which has turned out benign], and partly due to significant tax rebates/savings from Japan, allowing me to take the LSAT and work on a few personal projects in writing and game development (my immediate alternative to Law School would have been an MFA) -- if any of those actually pay off, my resume for the last six months might look much better -- but I'm trying to be a bit pessimistic/realistic at the moment.

The Japan experience was through JET, rather than a run-of-the-mill company, so I'm hoping that'll look good -- regardless, it was a fantastic experience living abroad, which I hope to parlay into an effective personal statement. ;)

I've secured a few good recommenders (Head of the Psych Department; Director of Graduate Admissions at my University, [both Stanford alums], and Head of the English Department at my Japanese High School). I also completed a thesis and graduated Magna Cum Laude at my University -- which is particularly stingy with honors, and has a rigorous thesis structure. I also worked as Teaching Assistant, founded a game development club, and served as the Literary Editor for Science publication (yeah, my interests are ALL over the map!).

Thanks again!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:07 pm

great chance at all 3!

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Dude, your set.....or as close to set as one could be.

Apply early next year, and Harvard is for sure.....

Yale is a bit more of a stretch (just their blackbox admissions), but i think high gpa+ivy ug+Japan Teaching seals the deal and as for Stanford I can see you getting in there too.

I would send an app to Columbia too, if you want a free JD, I'm sure you'll get a the Hamilton.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”