where to apply? where to get $$?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

where to apply? where to get $$?

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:44 am

.
Last edited by iShotFirst on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: 166/175, 3.35 GPA, where to apply? where to get $$?

Postby los blancos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:49 am

iShotFirst wrote:Ok so I've already applied this cycle with my 166, and just received a 175 for the February LSAT. I have some pretty decent options as it stands, however, I've been working for a few years so waiting another wouldnt be the end of the world. Still not saying I'll wait, but if I did:

Where would be some good target schools with that LSAT and GPA? I know the GPA is a bit low (from my terrible first year in a different school than I graduated from), so I might be shooting for schools that really focus on LSAT, or do most schools focus on LSAT if its at my level? In addition, where would be my BEST chances to get some good scholarship money, at least half tuition, say. Top 30 only.

Any advice or comments is very much appreciated.


Disclaimer: this is assuming you want biglaw.

If I was you, and I don't end up hitting CCN or getting MVP with $, I would reapply next cycle. That said, your GPA makes things difficult to predict, and I will let other splitters get in here and give you advice. Congrats on the killer score.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: 166/175, 3.35 GPA, where to apply? where to get $$?

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:53 am

los blancos wrote:
Disclaimer: this is assuming you want biglaw.

If I was you, and I don't end up hitting CCN or getting MVP with $, I would reapply next cycle. That said, your GPA makes things difficult to predict, and I will let other splitters get in here and give you advice. Congrats on the killer score.


Yes good assumption, I am interested in biglaw, as big as I can get if possible, and thanks.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: 166/175, 3.35 GPA, where to apply? where to get $$?

Postby los blancos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:02 am

iShotFirst wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Disclaimer: this is assuming you want biglaw.

If I was you, and I don't end up hitting CCN or getting MVP with $, I would reapply next cycle. That said, your GPA makes things difficult to predict, and I will let other splitters get in here and give you advice. Congrats on the killer score.


Yes good assumption, I am interested in biglaw, as big as I can get if possible, and thanks.


No problem. Well, if not this cycle, then I'd give you a 99% chance at Northwestern next cycle, and that place is a biglaw factory and they love work experience. But it also depends on where in the country you want to end up (i.e., if you don't want Chicago, NU is probably not a good place for you).

Your GPA might keep you out of CCN, though, and MVP might be hesitant to throw money. Again, I am by no means a splitter expert, so I hope someone with more knowledge than me gets in here soon and sets anything straight that I might be wrong about. You also have an upward trend, so that might change things a bit.

FWIW (just letting you know), I think you could probably ED to Virginia tomorrow and I would be shocked if you didn't get in. Doubt they'll give you $$$, though.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 166/175, 3.35 GPA, where to apply? where to get $$?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:16 am

CCN is hard for GPA's under 3.4, but you still got a shot at all 3. MVP you got a shot at money, but a good shot of being WL'd too. T30 schools known to be generous: WUSTL, Emory, Illinois, W&L, and ND (though if you don't get $$ from ND they'll prob WL you).

A good list to apply to:

Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Penn
Michigan
UVA
NU
Cornell
GULC
UT
Vanderbilt
WUSTL
Illinois

Consider adding a few more T30s in areas you like if scholarship money is top priority.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: 166/175, 3.35 GPA, where to apply? where to get $$?

Postby los blancos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:18 am

Yeah, the only addition I would make to RT's post is that if you really want the best shot possible at biglaw, you'll probably have to settle for taking on the full load of debt. Hopefully if you write a good addendum, have an otherwise solid application, and choose to apply early next cycle, that'll mean CCN. I'm not sure if those schools are going to factor in your Feb LSAT for this cycle - though I've heard you can ask Columbia to.
Last edited by los blancos on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: 166/175, 3.35 GPA, where to apply? where to get $$?

Postby stratocophic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:20 am

iShotFirst wrote:Ok so I've already applied this cycle with my 166, and just received a 175 for the February LSAT. I have some pretty decent options as it stands, however, I've been working for a few years so waiting another wouldnt be the end of the world. Still not saying I'll wait, but if I did:

Where would be some good target schools with that LSAT and GPA? I know the GPA is a bit low (from my terrible first year in a different school than I graduated from), so I might be shooting for schools that really focus on LSAT, or do most schools focus on LSAT if its at my level? In addition, where would be my BEST chances to get some good scholarship money, at least half tuition, say. Top 30 only.

Any advice or comments is very much appreciated.

WUSTL and UIUC will offer you bank. Our numbers are very similar, and both schools love LSAT splitters. Check my profile for info.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 166/175, 3.35 GPA, where to apply? where to get $$?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:23 am

Useful breakdown for you: --LinkRemoved--
(pay less attention to the older cycles though)

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: 166/175, 3.35 GPA, where to apply? where to get $$?

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:22 pm

Yah WUSTL I am interested in, and Emory. I actually applied to WUSTL with my 166, and sending them an email/LOCI with my new score. I guess money may be dried up until some withdrawals, but I hope they redistribute!

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: 166/175, 3.35 GPA, where to apply? where to get $$?

Postby stratocophic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:27 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Yah WUSTL I am interested in, and Emory. I actually applied to WUSTL with my 166, and sending them an email/LOCI with my new score. I guess money may be dried up until some withdrawals, but I hope they redistribute!

You can always wait a year if you're not in a hurry (read: old). Do some community service and work a meaningful job, then end up
Image
when you see the offers from schools in the 20-30 range. Not to mention at least one T10 acceptance if you'd rather ED.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: 166/175, 3.35 GPA, where to apply? where to get $$?

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:40 pm

stratocophic wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:Yah WUSTL I am interested in, and Emory. I actually applied to WUSTL with my 166, and sending them an email/LOCI with my new score. I guess money may be dried up until some withdrawals, but I hope they redistribute!

You can always wait a year if you're not in a hurry (read: old). Do some community service and work a meaningful job, then end up
Image
when you see the offers from schools in the 20-30 range. Not to mention at least one T10 acceptance if you'd rather ED.



Yes I realize thats an option, but I thought with splitter its very hard to predict where you will get $$? I would hate to wait a year (I'm 27) and then get weak offers next year, but on the other side of the coin I'd hate to jump and settle for something less.

I know its a personal choice thing, just trying to figure out my best bet... law school choices are a lot harder than I originally thought.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests