170/3.6 advice please!! (updated page 2)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
becauseimaddicted
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm

170/3.6 advice please!! (updated page 2)

Postby becauseimaddicted » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:42 pm

Just got my February results, and I got a 170. My last score was 161 (anxiety issues) so I set my sights on IU Bloomington, William and Mary, Washington and Lee.

I have a 3.63 from NYU and decent softs (year-long term government internship and what I've been told is a great personal statement about my experience there).

As of today, I've missed the deadline for every top14 school besides UVA and Georgetown, as well as UCLA. I had already applied at IU, WM, and W&L and I sent in UVA and Georgetown tonight (deadline is tomorrow) and I have no idea what to expect.

I don't want to wait another year but I'm considering it. Thoughts?
Last edited by becauseimaddicted on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:49 am

I wouldn't wait another year unless you get rejected from UVA, since your numbers won't get CCN next year.

becauseimaddicted
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby becauseimaddicted » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:09 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is CCN?

I'm anticipating rejection from UVA and GULC because even though my numbers are pretty average, I'm literally applying the night before.

Also sending in Northwestern tonight.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:13 am

CCN = Columbia, Chicago, NYU = Top 6 = basically the next higher tier above UVA.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby TheWire » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:15 am

If you wanna go to uva, send them an ED contract...having a 170 makes you an elite candidate for UVA ED. You will probably get in...do it and PM me later to thank me

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:21 am

Where do you want to work after graduation? What do you want to do?

If you are rejected by UVA, Northwestern, and GULC I would strongly consider waiting a year and reapplying. If you wait a year, you should land at least one of Michigan, Virginia, and Penn. And the year off will make you be in good shape for Northwestern. You should also be in very good shape at Cornell and Georgetown.

If there is a school in the T30 in an area you want to work and they offer some good $$, that might be enough to decide not to wait a year though.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:26 am

TheWire wrote:If you wanna go to uva, send them an ED contract...having a 170 makes you an elite candidate for UVA ED. You will probably get in...do it and PM me later to thank me


+100000000, as long as you're fine with attending UVA at sticker. You prob a stretch to get CCN, so MVP, prob at sticker, is most likely the best you will get.

becauseimaddicted
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby becauseimaddicted » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:30 am

Thanks guys!

I want to work in government, and definitely in a city. Boston, DC, or NYC preferably. Taking another year off (I graduated from NYU undergrad in 2009) sounds like torture, but may be worth it if I can get into. I have no interest in corporate law, so I also am a bit hesitant to take out huge loans when I know I won't be making much upon graduation.

It doesn't feel right to apply ED anywhere, since I have no idea what kind of offers I'll get scholarship-wise from other schools and money is going to have to factor into my decision (as I imagine it does for almost everyone). Truthfully, if I got into UVA or GULC I think I'd go, but I'm not positive.

Plus, I already sent in the apps for both and didn't check ED. Maybe I should have, but I don't know which one is my first choice. UVA is ranked higher but GULC is in DC....shoot, now I'm second guessing myself.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:02 am

becauseimaddicted wrote:Thanks guys!

I want to work in government, and definitely in a city. Boston, DC, or NYC preferably. Taking another year off (I graduated from NYU undergrad in 2009) sounds like torture, but may be worth it if I can get into. I have no interest in corporate law, so I also am a bit hesitant to take out huge loans when I know I won't be making much upon graduation.

It doesn't feel right to apply ED anywhere, since I have no idea what kind of offers I'll get scholarship-wise from other schools and money is going to have to factor into my decision (as I imagine it does for almost everyone). Truthfully, if I got into UVA or GULC I think I'd go, but I'm not positive.

Plus, I already sent in the apps for both and didn't check ED. Maybe I should have, but I don't know which one is my first choice. UVA is ranked higher but GULC is in DC....shoot, now I'm second guessing myself.


You should get into both UVA and GULC, so I wouldn't sweat it.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:17 am

becauseimaddicted wrote:Thanks guys!

I want to work in government, and definitely in a city. Boston, DC, or NYC preferably. Taking another year off (I graduated from NYU undergrad in 2009) sounds like torture, but may be worth it if I can get into. I have no interest in corporate law, so I also am a bit hesitant to take out huge loans when I know I won't be making much upon graduation.

It doesn't feel right to apply ED anywhere, since I have no idea what kind of offers I'll get scholarship-wise from other schools and money is going to have to factor into my decision (as I imagine it does for almost everyone). Truthfully, if I got into UVA or GULC I think I'd go, but I'm not positive.

Plus, I already sent in the apps for both and didn't check ED. Maybe I should have, but I don't know which one is my first choice. UVA is ranked higher but GULC is in DC....shoot, now I'm second guessing myself.


UVA>GULC, even for DC. You could always call tomorrow morning and ask if you could send in the ED paper for UVA (though don't do this if you're not sure about UVA).

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby TheWire » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
becauseimaddicted wrote:Thanks guys!

I want to work in government, and definitely in a city. Boston, DC, or NYC preferably. Taking another year off (I graduated from NYU undergrad in 2009) sounds like torture, but may be worth it if I can get into. I have no interest in corporate law, so I also am a bit hesitant to take out huge loans when I know I won't be making much upon graduation.

It doesn't feel right to apply ED anywhere, since I have no idea what kind of offers I'll get scholarship-wise from other schools and money is going to have to factor into my decision (as I imagine it does for almost everyone). Truthfully, if I got into UVA or GULC I think I'd go, but I'm not positive.

Plus, I already sent in the apps for both and didn't check ED. Maybe I should have, but I don't know which one is my first choice. UVA is ranked higher but GULC is in DC....shoot, now I'm second guessing myself.


UVA>GULC, even for DC. You could always call tomorrow morning and ask if you could send in the ED paper for UVA (though don't do this if you're not sure about UVA).


I think today is the last day...you should send in the ED contract, receive an acceptance, and then visit/see if UVA is good for you. Money offers with your #s are not going to be substantial and if you decide you do want to wait, I think (THINK) that you can choose to wait until next cycle even if you ED this cycle

becauseimaddicted
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby becauseimaddicted » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:48 pm

I don't expect money from UVA or GULC or any T14, but significant scholarships from a T30 (which I think are within my grasp) might make me rethink spending 150,000 on UVA. The consensus seems to be that if I apply ED, I can get into UVA and I should go. If I don't, I won't. And UVA does seem to be the best school that I have a legit shot at.

I set up an interview with Northwestern for tomorrow. App is complete. I can't help feeling like I'm wasting my time with them, but alas, gotta think positive.

Thank you guys ever so much for the advice. I would be an even bigger hot mess right now if it weren't for my TLS brethren.

orphanarium
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby orphanarium » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:52 pm

...
Last edited by orphanarium on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

becauseimaddicted
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: 170/3.63...should I wait?

Postby becauseimaddicted » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Orphanarium-- thanks for the advice! According to the georgetown website, applications have to be in by October to be considered for ED. So, I only missed the deadline by a few months. I also looked at LSN and if those numbers are accurate, it looks like I'm going to be WL'ed. If that's the case, I'll write a LOCI and see what happens.

If given the choice between UVA and GULC, I think I'd pick GULC, so I don't feel comfortable applying ED to UVA.

Alas, no ED for me. After a day of serious panic, I've made my decision.

becauseimaddicted
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: 170/3.63 $$ at GW??

Postby becauseimaddicted » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:22 pm

One more question...

Should I apply to George Washington? Rumor is they have stopped handing out merit aid, and I know that they don't waive fees. The deadline is 3/31. It seems crazy to me that they wouldn't have some stores of merit aid before then.

Based on LSN, I would get in, but I can't rationalize spending something like $70,000 per year (with COL) if its not t14. What are the chances I could get money at GW this cycle if I applied tomorrow?

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: 170/3.63 $$ at GW??

Postby starrydecisus » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:04 pm

becauseimaddicted wrote:One more question...

Should I apply to George Washington? Rumor is they have stopped handing out merit aid, and I know that they don't waive fees. The deadline is 3/31. It seems crazy to me that they wouldn't have some stores of merit aid before then.

Based on LSN, I would get in, but I can't rationalize spending something like $70,000 per year (with COL) if its not t14. What are the chances I could get money at GW this cycle if I applied tomorrow?


GW may have stopped handing out merit aid, but I can you now that by just by looking at LSN, a lot of those receiving $100+k in merit aid probably will be accepting other schools, so that aid should be back after they withdraw. I would do it! You already said you like DC :)

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 170/3.63 $$ at GW??

Postby im_blue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:09 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
becauseimaddicted wrote:One more question...

Should I apply to George Washington? Rumor is they have stopped handing out merit aid, and I know that they don't waive fees. The deadline is 3/31. It seems crazy to me that they wouldn't have some stores of merit aid before then.

Based on LSN, I would get in, but I can't rationalize spending something like $70,000 per year (with COL) if its not t14. What are the chances I could get money at GW this cycle if I applied tomorrow?


GW may have stopped handing out merit aid, but I can you now that by just by looking at LSN, a lot of those receiving $100+k in merit aid probably will be accepting other schools, so that aid should be back after they withdraw. I would do it! You already said you like DC :)

Merit aid doesn't really work like that. Much like admission offers, they offer aid to more people than they actually can actually support, with the understanding that only a certain percentage will accept their offer. However, it's certainly possible that this percentage was lower than anticipated, in which case they might have funds left over to offer. But I agree that there's nothing to lose by applying.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: 170/3.63 $$ at GW

Postby KMaine » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:20 pm

OP - Though a year off may seem like "torture" to you at this point, it could end up being one of the best decisions you ever make. I had slightly worse #s than you and got money from 2 t14s, (accepted to 2 of the 4 t10s I applied to WL at the other 2).

I would not settle for anything less than a t-14 or > $30K per year from a top 30 if I were you (of course, I would have ED'd UVA). This probably means you will have to wait until next cycle.

jtang11
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: 170/3.63 $$ at GW

Postby jtang11 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:15 pm

KMaine wrote:OP - Though a year off may seem like "torture" to you at this point, it could end up being one of the best decisions you ever make. I had slightly worse #s than you and got money from 2 t14s, (accepted to 2 of the 4 t10s I applied to WL at the other 2).

I would not settle for anything less than a t-14 or > $30K per year from a top 30 if I were you (of course, I would have ED'd UVA). This probably means you will have to wait until next cycle.


I agree with this. If money is a a serious factor for you, you'd really be depriving yourself of some legitimate scholarship money at a T-14 by applying this cycle. By all means apply now and see what you can get, just bear in mind you've got some great stats that will land you some great offers next year.

becauseimaddicted
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: 170/3.63 updated

Postby becauseimaddicted » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Update-- in at Washington and Lee (with almost full scholarship) and William and Mary (with no $$).

I was waitlisted at Georgetown and American. I do wish I had applied ED at UVA because with GULC out of the picture (at least for now, as I don't think they will be moving the waitlist right away) UVA is by far my first choice.

Still waiting on UVA (fingers crossed x 1000 but not too optimistic), Notre Dame, IU Bloomington (expected to hear from them by now), Northwestern (pessimistic), USC, and George Washington.

I will write a LOCI and visit GULC (hopefully for an interview) and do the same if waitlisted at UVA, but I am starting consider taking another year. However, I am no longer interning (left on good terms for a high-paying job that won't add to my resume) and I don't think that is going to look good. And as far as personal statement, I already wrote something that encompassed my undergrad and postgrad experience, and I would have a VERY hard time constructing something as good for reapplication. Should these things influence my decision?

I really appreciate everyone's input.

RhubarbPie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: 170/3.63 updated

Postby RhubarbPie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:46 pm

I have really similar numbers (my GPA is slightly higher) and was rejected at UVA (I applied in October). However, I have a scholarship offer at Michigan. It might be worth it to wait another year so you can have a shot at more $$ (especially if you are debt-averse).

becauseimaddicted
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: 170/3.63 updated

Postby becauseimaddicted » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:03 pm

hykang-- that is good to know, thanks! May I ask how much Michigan offered you? Did you get offers from any other T14 schools? I am debt-averse but might be more taking another year off-averse.

RhubarbPie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: 170/3.63 updated

Postby RhubarbPie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:26 pm

becauseimaddicted wrote:hykang-- that is good to know, thanks! May I ask how much Michigan offered you? Did you get offers from any other T14 schools? I am debt-averse but might be more taking another year off-averse.


sent you a pm.

becauseimaddicted
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: 170/3.63 updated

Postby becauseimaddicted » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:13 pm

waitlisted at UVA today. absolutely, 100% wish I had done ED now.

Still waiting on Northwestern, IU Bloomington, Notre Dame, and George Washington. But if I don't get any better offers, I feel like I have no choice but wait another year. Argh.

memaha
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:23 am

Re: 170/3.63 updated

Postby memaha » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:38 pm

becauseimaddicted wrote:waitlisted at UVA today. absolutely, 100% wish I had done ED now.

Still waiting on Northwestern, IU Bloomington, Notre Dame, and George Washington. But if I don't get any better offers, I feel like I have no choice but wait another year. Argh.


:? sorry to hear that. but with your LSAT, if you waited another year and applied when apps come out, I think you have a really good shot at T6-T14. It just sucks having to wait another whole year. Best of luck!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests