Little Nervous--please help

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dooterdude11

Little Nervous--please help

Postby dooterdude11 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:56 am

This is my first time posting, but I have used the site plenty. Thanks for all the wisdom!

I really want to go to a top-14 school, preferably Berkeley or Stanford; but in the end, any top-14 would do.

I have a 4.0 G.P.A and a 171 LSAT. I am guessing my LSDAS G.P.A would be similar, but I've no idea how to calculate it (help with this would be awesome). I will be applying basically as soon as schools start taking apps this coming Fall.

Anyways, I am nervous that my pretty average softs--tough UG courses, some volunteer work, some work experience and one great LOR--will be too unexceptional and that, as a result, I won't be able to get in to a top-14, and definitely not into the two I want.

I really want it badly and I will do anything that can boost my chances. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me whether or not my fears are unfounded, and, if they are not, give me some advice as to what I could do to improve my application so that I might be able to get top-14 (pref Berk or Stanford).

ec2xs

Re: Little Nervous--please help

Postby ec2xs » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:15 am

It really is a numbers game. Great softs can help you, but average softs won't hurt you.

dooterdude11

Postby dooterdude11 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:28 am

Does that mean I will be able to gain acceptance to multiple t-14 schools?

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:33 am

dooterdude11 wrote:Does that mean I will be able to gain acceptance to multiple t-14 schools?

If your LSDAS GPA is a 4.0, yes. http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-content/uploads/Law-School-Predictor-Full-Time-Programs.htm

I should mention, however, that a T-14 or bust mentality probably isn't a good thing to have.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:57 am

I can't tell if this is a flame. 171/4.0? Berkeley will beg for you, and Stanford will probably fight them.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:25 am

i dont know man, i have similar stats and i got rejected at boalt, however, stanford took me so it is possible

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

LieutKaffee wrote:I can't tell if this is a flame. 171/4.0? Berkeley will beg for you, and Stanford will probably fight them.

+1

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:31 am

$1.99 wrote:i dont know man, i have similar stats and i got rejected at boalt, however, stanford took me so it is possible

Funny thing, after posting that I decided to check Boalt's LSN graph for kicks (I haven't been following the graph or the thread since it's the only school 4-15 I didn't apply to). Man, that's the most brutal graph I've ever seen. I guess you can't take anything for granted. Congrats on SLS. It definitely seems like those are two of the hardest schools to predict.
Last edited by Lieut Kaffee on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dooterdude11

Postby dooterdude11 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:31 am

$1.99 wrote:i dont know man, i have similar stats and i got rejected at boalt, however, stanford took me so it is possible

This is exactly why I post, and no it is not a flame. I have heard stories of people with numbers like mine who get rejected at schools even when both LSAT and G.P.A are above its 75%.

Is this because of crappy softs? Why would Berkeley reject a 4.0 171. This is the question I guess I'm asking. Thanks for feedback.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:32 am

Well... that is a valid point too I suppose. I was denied by schools that were substantially "easier" to get into than the ones I actually ended up getting into. Eh, whatever.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:33 am

dooterdude11 wrote:

This is exactly why I post, and no it is not a flame. I have heard stories of people with numbers like mine who get rejected at schools even when both LSAT and G.P.A are above its 75%.

Is this because of crappy softs? Why would Berkeley reject a 4.0 171. This is the question I guess I'm asking. Thanks for feedback.

I'll back off the Berkeley comment. But to answer your original post more generally, you are a safe bet for the t14.

Genki

Postby Genki » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:32 am

Although my GPA isn't as high as a 4.0, I was above Berkeley's 75% in both GPA and LSAT and still got rejected.
It made me a little nervous that there was something in my APP that would end up hurting my cycle, but I ended up being accepted to other schools ranked similarly and higher, so maybe they just didn't think I would be a good fit in their 2013 class for some random reason.

Return to “What are my chances?”