.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
dbrddr
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

.

Postby dbrddr » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:45 pm

.
Last edited by dbrddr on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: 4.0/172, chances/request for ethical URM-related advice

Postby Knock » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:00 am

Interesting dilemma. I would say in the end it is up to you. If you are a registered member of the tribe and have documentation, people couldn't say your not, for you have that documentation. However, it might be hard to write your diversity statement. So in the end, it's up to you.

Edit: Strategically, I think the best route to go would be to check the box but not due the diversity statement. You may get that chance of the URM boost or you may not, but you don't lose anything. It's probably better than not checking it and writing something.
Last edited by Knock on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: 4.0/172, chances/request for ethical URM-related advice

Postby umichgrad » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:04 am

OP, honestly, I'd only do the URM bit if you really want HYS. With those numbers you're a lock at at least half the t14.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: 4.0/172, chances/request for ethical URM-related advice

Postby scribelaw » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:11 am

OP, why wouldn't you check the Native American box? If you have a tribal membership card, then it's accurate.

I don't know what affecting your worldview has to do with it...The URM question is a factual question.

I would write a separate DS that is as thoughtful as your post here on the subject, and you'll be fine.

User avatar
sundevil77
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: 4.0/172, chances/request for ethical URM-related advice

Postby sundevil77 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:12 am

umichgrad wrote:OP, honestly, I'd only do the URM bit if you really want HYS. With those numbers you're a lock at at least half the t14.


I'd agree that if you want HYS, then URM would be the way to go. But seriously, think of the scholly money at the rest of the T-14. It could be amazing. We're talking being competitive for Darrows, Hamiltons, etc. Potential full-ride scholarships. However, you should always stay true to yourself. If a certain course of action leaves you with a guilty conscience, I wouldn't pursue it. hth

Edit: I agree with the guy above me. Checking the AI box is accurate. Writing a PS or DS on being AI would be disingenuous and a bad idea.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: 4.0/172, chances/request for ethical URM-related advice

Postby englawyer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:14 am

you ARE a urm and you should use that to your advantage. there is no ethical problem here. chances are that if you have a real affiliation to a tribe, some of your ancestors got really f'ed at some point. you may not have immediately experienced that, but if you look at the big picture maybe that is why you are at a state school instead of an ivy-league (socioeconomic status perhaps. sorry if i am prying here).

now it would be rather shady to write a full-fledged diversity statement about how much your heritage has meant to you, but one that just illustrates the fact that you are indeed part native-american seems ethical and sufficient.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: 4.0/172, chances/request for ethical URM-related advice

Postby Knock » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:16 am

englawyer wrote:you ARE a urm and you should use that to your advantage. there is no ethical problem here. chances are that if you have a real affiliation to a tribe, some of your ancestors got really f'ed at some point. you may not have immediately experienced that, but if you look at the big picture maybe that is why you are at a state school instead of an ivy-league (socioeconomic status perhaps. sorry if i am prying here).

now it would be rather shady to write a full-fledged diversity statement about how much your heritage has meant to you, but one that just illustrates the fact that you are indeed part native-american seems ethical and sufficient.


+1 great post

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: 4.0/172, chances/request for ethical URM-related advice

Postby umichgrad » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:18 am

lolz at "socioeconomic status" being why OP is at a state school instead of ivy league.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: 4.0/172, chances/request for ethical URM-related advice

Postby englawyer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:22 am

umichgrad wrote:lolz at "socioeconomic status" being why OP is at a state school instead of ivy league.


why is that? plenty of smart & capable people go to the local TTT state school for financial reasons. in massachusetts for example, if you get X score on the statewide exam you can go for free (at least when i graduated high school, hopefully that program is still in effect).

User avatar
dbrddr
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: 4.0/172, chances/request for ethical URM-related advice

Postby dbrddr » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:23 am

umichgrad wrote:lolz at "socioeconomic status" being why OP is at a state school instead of ivy league.


10% $$, 90% S.O. lol. Neither factor has disappointed.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], chromefox and 3 guests