3.82/172

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Should I retake LSATS if I am aiming for HYS?

Yes
26
68%
No
12
32%
 
Total votes: 38

slee
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:45 am

3.82/172

Postby slee » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:49 am

edit
Last edited by slee on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 3.82/172

Postby im_blue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:47 am

Good chances at C, small chance at S, slim chances at HY
I would retake for HYS.

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: 3.82/172

Postby $1.99 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:48 am

slim shots at HY, S is always random, and ok shot at C

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: 3.82/172

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:54 am

Honestly, I don't think that you need to retake -- rather, I recommend that you write some amazing essays, get great LORs, and apply early. That being said, if you are confident that you can get a significantly higher score (and I mean 175+) you might as well go for it.

FWIW, I have your exact (and I mean exact) stats and I was lucky enough to get Y and S.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 3.82/172

Postby im_blue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:03 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Honestly, I don't think that you need to retake -- rather, I recommend that you write some amazing essays, get great LORs, and apply early. That being said, if you are confident that you can get a significantly higher score (and I mean 175+) you might as well go for it.

FWIW, I have your exact (and I mean exact) stats and I was lucky enough to get Y and S.


Yeah but you have a 3.82 from a top 3 engineering school, which OP's math/econ BA from Hopkins can't compete with, IMO. Stanford definitely loves tech majors with high GPAs.

slee
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:45 am

Re: 3.82/172

Postby slee » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:28 am

edit
Last edited by slee on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slee
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:45 am

Re: 3.82/172

Postby slee » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:30 am

edit
Last edited by slee on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slee
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:45 am

Re: 3.82/172

Postby slee » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:52 am

what do I need on the LSAT retake?

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: 3.82/172

Postby scribelaw » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:01 pm

I would retake for Harvard. You are below (albeit slightly below) both medians -- look at the LSN graphs, a non-URM candidate almost has to have at least one number at or above median.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 3.82/172

Postby im_blue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:30 pm

slee wrote:what do I need on the LSAT retake?


I'd say at least 50% chance at Harvard if you hit 173-174. YS are harder to predict since you'll need good softs regardless of LSAT, but an increase would certain help too.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: 3.82/172

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:45 pm

im_blue wrote:
slee wrote:what do I need on the LSAT retake?


I'd say at least 50% chance at Harvard if you hit 173-174. YS are harder to predict since you'll need good softs regardless of LSAT, but an increase would certain help too.


Doesn't Harvard average though? So going up 1 point wouldn't make any difference.

I have almost identical stats to the OP and decided retaking wasn't worth it, because my score was high enough for all but the top 3-5 schools and the top schools average or consider both scores anyway, so going up from 173 to 175 wouldn't help much, if I even got as high as 175, which was no guarantee. And I got into Columbia, for what it's worth, and haven't yet been rejected by HYS (probably just a matter of time though). So unless there is a huge difference between a 172 and 173, I don't think it makes sense for the OP to retake.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 3.82/172

Postby im_blue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:37 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
im_blue wrote:
slee wrote:what do I need on the LSAT retake?


I'd say at least 50% chance at Harvard if you hit 173-174. YS are harder to predict since you'll need good softs regardless of LSAT, but an increase would certain help too.


Doesn't Harvard average though? So going up 1 point wouldn't make any difference.

I have almost identical stats to the OP and decided retaking wasn't worth it, because my score was high enough for all but the top 3-5 schools and the top schools average or consider both scores anyway, so going up from 173 to 175 wouldn't help much, if I even got as high as 175, which was no guarantee. And I got into Columbia, for what it's worth, and haven't yet been rejected by HYS (probably just a matter of time though). So unless there is a huge difference between a 172 and 173, I don't think it makes sense for the OP to retake.


Schools can claim to average (e.g. NYU), but the highest LSAT is reported to ABA and used by US News. And there is indeed a huge difference between 172 and 173, since HLS has a median of 173. A 3.82/172 will probably get thrown in the trash (below both medians), but a 3.82/173 will have a decent chance.

slee
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:45 am

Re: 3.82/172

Postby slee » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Here's an update. Did a retake more than a year after first sitting, and did worse by one point. I was working full time and could not bring myself to focus on prepping as much as I did the first time (even though I only had 3 weeks to study for the first test...LSATs was a last minute decision at the time). Even the girl who sat next to me was surprised at how relaxed I was during the second sitting - I just didn't care and felt like I've been there, done that.

My cycle went very, very well for my numbers: Got in to Columbia, Berkeley, NYU, and Chicago.

Waitlisted at Stanford and Harvard.

Rejected at Yale.

Got off wait list from Harvard and will be moving to Cambridge in less than a week.

In hindsight, I think my softs were relatively strong given my WE and unique life experiences.

User avatar
hdivschool
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: 3.82/172

Postby hdivschool » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:42 pm

slee wrote:Got off wait list from Harvard and will be moving to Cambridge in less than a week.


Congrats!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests