Huge discrepancy in LSAC Official Guide and LSP

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
doriangray

Huge discrepancy in LSAC Official Guide and LSP

Postby doriangray » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:39 pm

When I type in my numbers into LSP and the LSAC Official Guide UGPA/LSAT search I get drastically different results. Which is more likely to be correct? For example Hofstra is a weak consider and UGPA search yields a ~80% chance of admission.

(My stats are 2.0/163 :oops:)

NewtonLied

Re: Huge discrepancy in LSAC Official Guide and LSP

Postby NewtonLied » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:40 pm

Your results are hard to predict because your GPA is low but your LSAT is solid. Your cycle will depend on your personal statement and reasons for the low GPA. In short: they're so different because it's unpredictable.

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:02 pm

You, my friend, are a splitter. None of these predictor tools are *great* for picking splitters. LSP may be the best tool out there for handling splitters in its equations, but it's still really a crapshoot...

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:36 pm

doriangray wrote:When I type in my numbers into LSP and the LSAC Official Guide UGPA/LSAT search I get drastically different results. Which is more likely to be correct? For example Hofstra is a weak consider and UGPA search yields a ~80% chance of admission.

(My stats are 2.0/163 :oops:)

Yours is an interesting case. Through the course of the cycle I've found the most accurate way to predict results is to look at the Law School Numbers' chart for that school; it tend to give a better impression of what the schools are looking for.

Take Hofstra, for example:
http://hofstra.lawschoolnumbers.com/sta ... Cycle=0910

However, there aren't really enough data points there to see what's really going on in your part of the graph. They've taken a 163 with a 2.31 and one with a 2.35; that's about it for that section of results. Is the difference between a 2.31 and a 2.0 going to matter to them? On one hand, .31 is quite significant; on the other hand, a 2.0 won't affect their 25th percentile GPA score any worse than a 2.31 will.

You can also look at last year's charts, but that's gonna be even less predictive of this year:
http://hofstra.lawschoolnumbers.com/sta ... Cycle=0910

Good luck, I'd definitely say you have a shot, but as most people will tell you, a splitter is hard to predict.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Like all predictors, LSP sucks for splitters.

Return to “What are my chances?”