Where should I go/can i get in?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
luhrenzo

Where should I go/can i get in?

Postby luhrenzo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:22 pm

3.52/164 (URM); great resume and letters of rec

applied to:
UVA-Rejected
GW-Rejected
HLS
Gtown
NYU
Vandy
Duke
W&L
W&M
USC

starting to think i should just take a yr or 2 off and reapply when the applicant pool isn't so large.

NewtonLied

Re: Where should I go/can i get in?

Postby NewtonLied » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:23 pm

W&L should accept you.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Type of URM?

luhrenzo

Postby luhrenzo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Type of URM?

hispanic

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:53 pm

luhrenzo wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Type of URM?

hispanic

Assuming you are an URM qualifying hispanic, I would think: you are in good shape at Vanderbilt, USC, W&M, and W&L; you have a fighting chance at Duke; you are probably out at GULC; and in bad shape at Harvard.

The GW rejection is a little scary though and makes me think you might not qualify as URM. If that's the case, the schools that represent your best shot are W&M and W&L.

-edit- If you do decide to take a year or two off, retake and bump up that LSAT a few points (or more if possible).

luhrenzo

Postby luhrenzo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:54 pm

if i do decide to take a year or two off and decide not to retake the lsat where should i look at applying that i didnt this cycle?

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:52 pm

what type of hispanic are you? the only ones to definitely get a boost are mex, puerto rican (am i missing one?). others don't.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:01 pm

umichgrad wrote:what type of hispanic are you? the only ones to definitely get a boost are mex, puerto rican (am i missing one?). others don't.

I'm not sure this a credited or qualified response. This however is the general assumption on TLS. Did you at least write a diversity statement?

Have you considered applying to some lower tier 1s or tier 2s in your target geographic area? It is late in the cycle, but I've seen people with your numbers get full scholarships, which if you so choose, makes going to that school with the intention to transfer up a safer possibility.

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:25 pm

It's not just TLS...there is definitely info confirming that certain types of Hispanic (South American, for instance) receive no boost. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's true. I'm too lazy to find the stats but they're out there somewhere.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:52 pm

The claim is: other hispanics (not Mexican or Puerto Rican) do not get a boost.

If you can credit such claims, please do so, if you can't you, as an academically trained person, shouldn't be making them. I'm not saying its not true (I think I'll have a good idea after my cycle), just that I haven't seen any evidence presented other than rumors, assumptions and a losing supreme court argument which preclude certain hispanics from being considered underrepresented. Really when it gets down to it, its at the discretion of the admission committee at a particular school, and maybe a handful of people on TLS qualify as having intimate knowledge of that process.

Regardless:

OP it never hurts to apply. It also never hurts (admissions wise) to have a higher LSAT score. I think a diversity statement is going to be important to distinguish yourself a member of an underrepresented aka socio/ethnic/economically disadvantaged party. Keep in mind that there is statistical evidence that Hispanics in general are the lowest matriculating ethnicity at professional school, yet are the fastest growing minority in the US.

I do think its ironic that we have a University of Michigan grad making these claims though (I kid!) :lol:

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:09 pm

erniesto wrote:The claim is: other hispanics (not Mexican or Puerto Rican) do not get a boost.

If you can credit such claims, please do so, if you can't you, as an academically trained person, shouldn't be making them. I'm not saying its not true (I think I'll have a good idea after my cycle), just that I haven't seen any evidence presented other than rumors, assumptions and a losing supreme court argument which preclude certain hispanics from being considered underrepresented. Really when it gets down to it, its at the discretion of the admission committee at a particular school, and maybe a handful of people on TLS qualify as having intimate knowledge of that process.

Regardless:

OP it never hurts to apply. It also never hurts (admissions wise) to have a higher LSAT score. I think a diversity statement is going to be important to distinguish yourself a member of an underrepresented aka socio/ethnic/economically disadvantaged party. Keep in mind that there is statistical evidence that Hispanics in general are the lowest matriculating ethnicity at professional school, yet are the fastest growing minority in the US.

I do think its ironic that we have a University of Michigan grad making these claims though (I kid!) :lol:

I completely agree with you. What I am saying is that there is a clear, institutionally accepted and legally precedented boost for some Hispanic applicants and NOT others. That is not to say that individual schools can't and don't choose to 'bump' other Hispanics, Asians, gays, what have you. It's just that they dont have to consider them differently (while they have to consider AA males differently, for example). That's all. OP can and should apply wherever he/she wants to.

Return to “What are my chances?”