ESL/Younger/Foreign-educated/ 166:3.81

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bluewillow

ESL/Younger/Foreign-educated/ 166:3.81

Postby bluewillow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:11 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I've been put on reserve at Columbia and George Washington. GPA=3.81 LSAT=166 What do you think are my chances at T13 considering the following:

- Foreign-educated
- English as a second language - attended Thai schools
- Graduated with a bachelors degree at 18 (skipped high school altogether): now 19
- Lived in Thailand my whole life
- 100% Thai

Thank you for your input, and I hope everyone gets the place of his/her dream!

MoS

Re: ESL/Younger/Foreign-educated/ 166:3.81

Postby MoS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 am

You have an okay chance, but I don't think you get URM status if you aren't a US citizen. I am sure their is some bump for being an international student, especially if you have an interesting story to tell in your personal statement.

What schools did you go to in Thailand out of curiosity?

bluewillow

Postby bluewillow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:00 am

MoS wrote:What schools did you go to in Thailand out of curiosity?

I went to what you could consider to be a temple school an hour from Bangkok for primary education; it was practically free. :P It's called Nakprasit, if you wanted names. Then I was off to a school called Bodindecha 2 for a semester. I figured I could do better at an English speaking school, so mum and dad sent me off to the two worst international schools in existence (did not help my English in whatsoever ways). I endured for a year and a half, when I finished grade 8, I took the GCE (british system) on my own and got the heck out of there. Off to Mahidol University.

Sorry about the length of the post, it's not like you wanted my biography or anything. Just that whenever someone asks me about my education bg, i always get a bit defensive lol. Are you familiar with Thai schools by any chance?

And thanks for your post!! Sucks to not be considered as an URM though

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:10 am

I don't know how they will look at you, but getting a 166 on the LSAT even though you have attended Thai schools and lived there your whole life is impressive. For this site, that is a pretty average score but anyone who has tried to learn/use a second language knows that is pretty ridiculous that you did that well.

bluewillow

Postby bluewillow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks, Flanker. I agree with you about the score - seeing other people's scores really makes me feel like it was total luck that Columbia didn't reject me outright. But from reading threads here and there, I guess CLS just put everyone who isnt accepted on Reserve. :(
PS. agree with you about the 2nd/3rd language usage. I tried to learn japanese/spanish/chinese and it was an utter failure, considering the resources id poured into it. This tiny brain can only hold so much.

Return to “What are my chances?”