what schools should I be reaching for?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thatdude222

what schools should I be reaching for?

Postby thatdude222 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:59 am

My current GPA is a 3.2 according to my undergraduate university. For some reason my LSAC GPA is calculated as a 2.6 which really limits my law school options considering I scored a 150 on the LSAT. I after learning of my new LSAC gpa I am in the process of re-thinking the schools which I originally intended to apply to. I am an URM (AA Male). I have decent softs and believe I have one hell of a personal statement. I have a strong upward trend (my last 60 hours are of a 3.76 gpa).

Which schools or within what range of schools should I be reaching for? I am really trying to stay out of the third tier and fourth tier, but I realize my numbers limit my options. I am interested in practicing in the South and Southwest (Mainly looking at Arizona, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and Virginia). Open to practicing law in Colorado as well.

Thanks for any insight!

waverider

Re: what schools should I be reaching for?

Postby waverider » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:17 am

lawschoolpredictor.com says that you would be an auto deny on all top 100 schools other than New Mexico. So I would certainly apply there. Especially since its in the southwest.

Two other good reaches would be Stetson and Ole Miss. Both are near the top 100 and may very well re enter the top 100 (especially Ole Miss with a brand new building). Ole Miss is also cheap even for out of state.

I would definitely apply to

FIU and Texas Tech as well. But I certainly wouldn't call them reaches.

Good luck

thatdude222

Postby thatdude222 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks... I'll look into those schools. I'm just trying to be realistic about my reaches. Don't have the money to be spending on applications to schools where I have really have no shot.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:18 am

It's way late in the cycle to apply now. Retake the LSAT and apply next year.

Havaianas

Postby Havaianas » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:20 am

thatdude222 wrote:I am an URM (AA Male).

Missed this part at first. Makes a difference. Are you really thinking about applying now? Its way late. If you can at all help it and/or really care about where you go or scholarship money you get you should wait until next year. Also - I hate to sound like a broken record - but definitely consider retaking the LSAT.

Also - check out the URM forum.

Return to “What are my chances?”