Adopted a Plus?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mphill

Adopted a Plus?

Postby mphill » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:08 pm

If someone was adopted at a young age would this be a plus for softs? Or is this something that should be more or less ignored?

Zapatero

Re: Adopted a Plus?

Postby Zapatero » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 pm

Being adopted is not a soft.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:13 pm

lol are you kidding me?

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:13 pm

ccs1702 wrote:Being adopted is not a soft.

unless you were adopted by an adcom member of a school you wanted to attend ;)

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:17 pm

swimbrad wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:Being adopted is not a soft.

unless you were adopted by an adcom member of a school you wanted to attend ;)

Or Madonna.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:22 pm

Not a plus by itself, but could make a compelling DS or PS under some circumstances. You say you were adopted "at a young age," so I assume you weren't an infant. If you were adopted from another country & had to make difficult adjustments, if you were abused/neglected and had to overcome major health/psych issues, if you are of a visibly different ethnicity than your adopted family and were brought up in a place with few/no other people of your ethnicity (e.g. korean adoptee in a small town in idaho), if you searched for/found your birth parents and thereby discovered something about yourself, etc.

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:19 am

I feel like Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars with what I'm about to say...

Everybody thinks that their family situation, unique characteristic, or huge undergraduate accomplishment (i.e. heirloom) is worth a big boost for being admitted to a top law school (a million dollars) but most softs are just that: soft.

Being adopted will probably not give you any kind of advantage over anybody else. Unless you are a URM that was adopted by a non-URM family (but then one could argue that it's just a URM boost not an adoption boost), or you are within the 25-75 anyway, there's no reason to assume that being adopted will give you any kind of meaningful advantage over anyone else with the same numbers. Sorry...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:51 am

Adopted?

Really?

Why not just go all out and put on the platform heels and miniskirt and stand on the street corner if you're going to try and whore yourself that much?

enigmaingr

Postby enigmaingr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:59 am

I would certainly talk about it in a personal or diversity statement and see what happens. Depending on your particular circumstances, being adopted can be substantially influence the person you have become. This is especially true if you were adopted by parents of a different race or for some reason taken from your birth parents.

Return to “What are my chances?”