4.0/148 Chicago schools Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
basicgrey7

Bronze

Re: 4.0/148 Chicago schools

Post by basicgrey7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 am

I majored in Business Management with a concentration in Human Resources

basicgrey7

Bronze

Post by basicgrey7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 am

windycity wrote:
basicgrey7 wrote:
am060459 wrote:
basicgrey7 wrote:As funny as it sounds with my gpa, its just really hard for me to study. I hate studying and always take breaks and get distracted. It was really hard to take a whole timed test without taking breaks in it. I will try a lot harder because I really don't want to take it a third time!!
if so, then law school might not be for you.
I also might add that I was working 30 hours a week, going to school full time, and visiting my mom in the hospital everyday while studying. I think that if I didn't have to worry about work I could study longer.
i know someone who worked 40+ hours a week, had a parent in the hospital, and was going to night school for a grad program while studying for the lsat. they busted their ass and averaged 3 full timed lsats every week for a few months prior to the test - and raised their score from 150 to 168. it's possible.
I applaud them, it is very rough.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 am

windycity wrote:i know someone who worked 40+ hours a week, had a parent in the hospital, and was going to night school for a grad program while studying for the lsat. they busted their ass and averaged 3 full timed lsats every week for a few months prior to the test - and raised their score from 150 to 168. it's possible.
This. I didn't have quite that much going on, but I was working full-time and studying for the LSAT and had a 13-point gain myself. It's certainly possible to make at least that much gain, and for someone capable of a 4.0 GPA I'd be surprised if more wasn't possible.

basicgrey7

Bronze

Post by basicgrey7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 am

vanwinkle wrote:
windycity wrote:i know someone who worked 40+ hours a week, had a parent in the hospital, and was going to night school for a grad program while studying for the lsat. they busted their ass and averaged 3 full timed lsats every week for a few months prior to the test - and raised their score from 150 to 168. it's possible.
This. I didn't have quite that much going on, but I was working full-time and studying for the LSAT and had a 13-point gain myself. It's certainly possible to make at least that much gain, and for someone capable of a 4.0 GPA I'd be surprised if more wasn't possible.
Thanks. I'm hoping now that I am only working that I will be able to do better. My mom is still in the hospital, actually is at Mayo Clinic right now, but i am hoping that she will get better.

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:51 am

If you got a 148, especially after having professional tutoring, you probably lack the reasoning and analytical skills needed to be a competent lawyer. You got a 4.0, though; so you're good at something. Take the gmat/gre/mcat and see how you do.

This advice is a hell of a lot more honest than what you'll probably hear coming from the T3 and T4 law schools, which would be the only ones willing to take you with that LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

windycity

New

Post by windycity » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:53 am

Last edited by windycity on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:54 am

solidsnake wrote:If you got a 148, especially after having professional tutoring, you probably lack the reasoning and analytical skills needed to be competent lawyer. You got a 4.0, though; so you're good at something. Take the gmat/gre/mcat and see how you do.
This is terrible advice. OP can do better than a 148, did better on a prep test, and can probably make significant improvements by using better and more prolonged study methods.

Also, it's "analytical skills needed to be a competent lawyer". If you're going to be an ass, at least be an ass that knows basic grammar.

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:58 am

How are those median grades treating you?

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:11 am

OP need not make a huge jump on the LSAT. with a 4.0 gpa (assuming LSDAS also is 4.0) a 155 would allow OP to get into some good schools (T30-T-50). if decided on a lower school, most T2's will give full rides for a shot at a 4.0 applicant.

OP, there is enough time to study for the June or October LSAT. good luck.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:18 am

solidsnake wrote:How are those median grades treating you?
At a T10? Better than the vast majority of all law school students I reckon. That is if he even has median grades. I don't see how that's relevant to anything

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:19 am

solidsnake wrote:How are those median grades treating you?
Who is this directed at? 'cause it sure doesn't apply to me.

basicgrey7

Bronze

Post by basicgrey7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:21 am

windycity wrote:
basicgrey7 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Thanks. I'm hoping now that I am only working that I will be able to do better. My mom is still in the hospital, actually is at Mayo Clinic right now, but i am hoping that she will get better.
If you can buckle down then retake, you'll be very glad you did. Maybe you'll also gain some perspective on whether or not you are interested in the intense studying required throughout law school.

Regardless, I hope your mom gets better soon too! I'm really sorry that you are going through that.
Thanks! She is going through all the tests to get a liver transplant, which is what she really needs to get better. I am hoping that she can get one soon!

basicgrey7

Bronze

Post by basicgrey7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:21 am

vanwinkle wrote:
solidsnake wrote:If you got a 148, especially after having professional tutoring, you probably lack the reasoning and analytical skills needed to be competent lawyer. You got a 4.0, though; so you're good at something. Take the gmat/gre/mcat and see how you do.
This is terrible advice. OP can do better than a 148, did better on a prep test, and can probably make significant improvements by using better and more prolonged study methods.

Also, it's "analytical skills needed to be a competent lawyer". If you're going to be an ass, at least be an ass that knows basic grammar.
Thank you for sticking up for me :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:24 am

basicgrey7 wrote: Thanks! She is going through all the tests to get a liver transplant, which is what she really needs to get better. I am hoping that she can get one soon!
Good luck to your mom. And to echo...retake. I had an 11 point gain with going through the Powerscore books and I'm sure you can do something similar.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:25 am

windycity wrote:
i know someone who worked 40+ hours a week, had a parent in the hospital, and was going to night school for a grad program while studying for the lsat. they busted their ass and averaged 3 full timed lsats every week for a few months prior to the test - and raised their score from 150 to 168. it's possible.
I know someone who studied for a week just so that she would be familiar with the format of the test and scored a 170+. Who cares? Of course it is possible. Anything is possible. This has no relevance for the OP, because it didn't happen to the OP.

Regardless, OP study harder. I jumped 17 points with a basic Kaplan course and those only last for a month. Get to work :D

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:27 am

am060459 wrote:OP need not make a huge jump on the LSAT. with a 4.0 gpa (assuming LSDAS also is 4.0) a 155 would allow OP to get into some good schools (T30-T-50). if decided on a lower school, most T2's will give full rides for a shot at a 4.0 applicant.

uhhhh, what? OP, don't listen to this misinformation. Although, a 155 will place u solidly in TTT'dom w/ some money at the right school.

anyway, fuck yo median grades!

basicgrey7

Bronze

Post by basicgrey7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:27 am

Doritos wrote:
basicgrey7 wrote: Thanks! She is going through all the tests to get a liver transplant, which is what she really needs to get better. I am hoping that she can get one soon!
Good luck to your mom. And to echo...retake. I had an 11 point gain with going through the Powerscore books and I'm sure you can do something similar.
Thanks! I did do powerscore books but I think I could redo them again now that so much time has passed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

basicgrey7

Bronze

Post by basicgrey7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:28 am

TTTennis wrote:
windycity wrote:
I know someone who studied for a week just so that she would be familiar with the format of the test and scored a 170+. Who cares? Of course it is possible. Anything is possible. This has no relevance for the OP, because it didn't happen to the OP.

Regardless, OP study harder. I jumped 17 points with a basic Kaplan course and those only last for a month. Get to work :D
Thanks! I will haul ass!

completing

New

Post by completing » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:29 am

cubswin wrote:
am060459 wrote:
basicgrey7 wrote:As funny as it sounds with my gpa, its just really hard for me to study. I hate studying and always take breaks and get distracted. It was really hard to take a whole timed test without taking breaks in it. I will try a lot harder because I really don't want to take it a third time!!
I was going to say...

How did you get a 4.0 if you can't focus for 3 hours straight?
Studying is not about how long you put it, it's about how focused and effective you are.

I've seen many people live in library studying 24/7 and would still get a B or C.

Most people who get A's do not study much. Rather, study regularly and effectively (studying when you want to).

Anyway, studying for LSAT is another story.

basicgrey7

Bronze

Post by basicgrey7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:30 am

jack duluoz wrote:
am060459 wrote:OP need not make a huge jump on the LSAT. with a 4.0 gpa (assuming LSDAS also is 4.0) a 155 would allow OP to get into some good schools (T30-T-50). if decided on a lower school, most T2's will give full rides for a shot at a 4.0 applicant.

uhhhh, what? OP, don't listen to this misinformation. Although, a 155 will place u solidly in TTT'dom w/ some money at the right school.

anyway, fuck yo median grades!

Thanks. I really thought that I could be okay with my score as long as I got into a school. Then it really sunk in how much it would cost when I pressed that submit app button. That's why I considered retaking. Oh Dave Chappelle, always makes me laugh.
Last edited by basicgrey7 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

basicgrey7

Bronze

Post by basicgrey7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:32 am

completing wrote:
cubswin wrote:
am060459 wrote:
I was going to say...

How did you get a 4.0 if you can't focus for 3 hours straight?
Studying is not about how long you put it, it's about how focused and effective you are.

I've seen many people live in library studying 24/7 and would still get a B or C.

Most people who get A's do not study much. Rather, study regularly and effectively (studying when you want to).

Anyway, studying for LSAT is another story.
My Dad always gets mad at me because he studies all the time and only gets a B. I told him that's perfectly fine!
You definitely have to like what you study. I think law is so fascinating so that's why I don't think I'd mind studying it. LSAT on the other hand........... :evil: not so fascinating!! I think I probably also need to not get on facebook the whole time I am studying....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:34 am

basicgrey7 wrote: I think I probably also need to not get on facebook the whole time I am studying....
That might help just a little :D

basicgrey7

Bronze

Post by basicgrey7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:36 am

TTTennis wrote:
basicgrey7 wrote: I think I probably also need to not get on facebook the whole time I am studying....
That might help just a little :D
Stupid addicting facebook....I don't really watch tv so I guess that is my vice.

windycity

New

Post by windycity » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:37 am

Last edited by windycity on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:40 am

windycity wrote:
TTTennis wrote:
windycity wrote:

Wait, what? Seriously? The OP started at 150. The OP is working full-time. The OP is dealing with a parent in the hospital. I thought the OP would appreciate knowing he/she isn't alone, and that despite seemingly overwhelming obstacles, hope is not lost. Why the hostility?
Just ignore me, I'm being a douche :twisted: She probably did appreciate it :D No hostility, I'm just Captain of the douche team.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”