Duke Law chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
shane0515

New

Duke Law chances

Post by shane0515 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:17 am

Can you guys help me out with something?

I'm a black male at USC(Southern Cal). I have a 3.6 GPA and I was wondering what my chances are of getting into Duke Law with a 160 LSAT score?

Thanks

icydash

Bronze

Re: Duke Law chances

Post by icydash » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:30 am

Sorry but i don't even think a URM is going to pull you through with a 160 LSAT.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:36 am

icydash wrote:Sorry but i don't even think a URM is going to pull you through with a 160 LSAT.
:roll:

LSN shows at least 4 URMs being admitted with a 160 or lower over the past 3 years. Given that there are likely more admitted URMs not using LSN than there are URMs that do use LSN, you've got a shot with a decent GPA. Two of those acceptances had GPAs of 3.45 and 3.42, respectively. You'll be infinitely better off with an above-median GPA, however, as Duke likes GPA better than LSAT anyway.

shane0515

New

Post by shane0515 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:43 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Right now Im speculating a 160 LSAT. I'll probably get a few points higher but who knows. Also I'm speculating for my gpa as well. My current GPA is a 3.65 but Im taking into account LSACS GPA conversion

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 am

Get a 170, go to Harvard. hth

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:09 am

Really? I knew being a URM would help but i never imagined it'd be worth 9-10 LSAT points (the difference between Duke's 169 median and the hypothetical 160 score).

...if that's really true, not trying to be offensive here, but that's a little ridiculous. If the color of your skin/background counts for that much...i mean i know there's a lot of socioeconomic factors at play....but seriously that's ridiculous. That's all i will say about that.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:12 am

icydash wrote:Really? I knew being a URM would help but i never imagined it'd be worth 9-10 LSAT points (the difference between Duke's 169 median and the hypothetical 160 score).

...if that's really true, not trying to be offensive here, but that's a little ridiculous. If the color of your skin/background counts for that much...i mean i know there's a lot of socioeconomic factors at play....but seriously that's ridiculous. That's all i will say about that.
Thanks for your opinion

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:13 am

icydash wrote:Really? I knew being a URM would help but i never imagined it'd be worth 9-10 LSAT points (the difference between Duke's 169 median and the hypothetical 160 score).

jealous much???

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:23 am

JustDude wrote:

jealous much???
extremely. you aren't? Right now i'd be applying to Harvard with my 164 instead of American.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wocehtoom

New

Post by wocehtoom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:41 am

Last edited by wocehtoom on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:44 am

icydash wrote:
JustDude wrote:

jealous much???
extremely. you aren't? Right now i'd be applying to Harvard with my 164 instead of American.

Me??/ Never. Why would I be???

Good news. You still can apply to Harvard with your 164...

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:44 am

Last edited by Doritos on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:47 am

Doritos wrote:Wait, is this turning into a thread about how terrible Affirmative Action is? Well...
Ha. Everytime someone posts magic words "black male", this debate starts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:50 am

wocehtoom wrote:I empathize with your disbelief about the enormous URM boost. Want to see something sick? go to lawschoolpredictor and enter your numbers - then click on the urm box. I pray I can use my law degree to change this kind of baloney
Did you have to take a diversity class for your PS major? Like Gender and race in politics or something like that?

And how is your law degree going to be able to change how law schools admit applicants?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:51 am

wocehtoom wrote:I empathize with your disbelief about the enormous URM boost. Want to see something sick? go to lawschoolpredictor and enter your numbers - then click on the urm box. I pray I can use my law degree to change this kind of baloney
Yeah. Because law school should be forced to only admit white students, right?

wocehtoom

New

Post by wocehtoom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:57 am

Last edited by wocehtoom on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:58 am

wocehtoom wrote:
Kronk wrote:
law schools should be forced to admit the most qualified applicants irrespective of the color of their skin. You don't solve racism with more racism. You end up with Obama in the White House.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:02 am

wocehtoom wrote:
Kronk wrote:
law schools should be forced to admit the most qualified applicants irrespective of the color of their skin. You don't solve racism with more racism. You end up with Obama in the White House.
Kronk, I'm disappointed:
DFTT

To OP: good luck.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:03 am

I wonder if this would be a prime example of someone may get dinged for stupid comments on the Internet...

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:06 am

Brother I would like to just say that I endorse your bid for a spot at Duke Law School.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:06 am

wocehtoom wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Obama in WH is a result of white liberals feeling guilty. AA makes whites feel less guilty. Without AA you would finish up with Jesse Jackson in WH>

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:10 am

r6_philly wrote:I wonder if this would be a prime example of someone may get dinged for stupid comments on the Internet...
Haha if an adcomm cares enough, it'd be fairly easy to trace the application...

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:12 am

los blancos wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I wonder if this would be a prime example of someone may get dinged for stupid comments on the Internet...
Haha if an adcomm cares enough, it'd be fairly easy to trace the application...
I was traced once. I was invited to HLS without even applying

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:18 am

wocehtoom wrote:
Kronk wrote:

and how do we determine who is "most qualified"?

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:33 pm

this has all gotten way off topic. i didn't mean to start a debate about AA ...

...but since it's started, i agree with a previous poster that all applicants should be looked at equally in terms of academic achievement/life experiences. It's a little unfair that without any additional information, just by checking the "URM" box, these applicants get sympathy/leniency because it's automatically assumed "they've had a hard time," or because the school needs to meet some quota. Without supplemental information, that's a huge, and completely unfair assumption to make, and i'm sure a ton of their Caucasian counterparts have had equal difficulty getting to where they are in life.

What I've also always wondered, too, (OP: sorry to use your stats as an example but since this is your thread...) is will someone with a 3.6 GPA and 160 be competitive in a 169+ 3.76+ GPA school? Again, not to be degrading or mean, but it would seem like a person with these kind of stats, VS those of their peers, would end up in the bottom of the class if not failing out completely almost every time.... thus wasting their money/time and a valuable seat position in a school with many other more qualified candidates.

Again, this is not meant to be degrading, but an actual legitimate question i have to those AA students at top schools now where their stats were well below the median--I've always been curious as to the answer to this question.
Last edited by icydash on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”