Duke Law chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
shane0515

Duke Law chances

Postby shane0515 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:17 am

Can you guys help me out with something?

I'm a black male at USC(Southern Cal). I have a 3.6 GPA and I was wondering what my chances are of getting into Duke Law with a 160 LSAT score?

Thanks

icydash

Re: Duke Law chances

Postby icydash » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:30 am

Sorry but i don't even think a URM is going to pull you through with a 160 LSAT.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:36 am

icydash wrote:Sorry but i don't even think a URM is going to pull you through with a 160 LSAT.

:roll:

LSN shows at least 4 URMs being admitted with a 160 or lower over the past 3 years. Given that there are likely more admitted URMs not using LSN than there are URMs that do use LSN, you've got a shot with a decent GPA. Two of those acceptances had GPAs of 3.45 and 3.42, respectively. You'll be infinitely better off with an above-median GPA, however, as Duke likes GPA better than LSAT anyway.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:36 am

These threads should be consolidated and I hate to post in both but I don't want OP to miss this. You def have a chance with 160/3.6 being a black male. I got into UVa with 3.2/162 after applying early and applying ED (also AA male). Now do you have a 160 or are you speculating? Of course shoot for the stars if you haven't actually taken the LSAT. Go here... http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prel ... 160.0.html ... its full of brown folk who can help you.

shane0515

Postby shane0515 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:43 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Right now Im speculating a 160 LSAT. I'll probably get a few points higher but who knows. Also I'm speculating for my gpa as well. My current GPA is a 3.65 but Im taking into account LSACS GPA conversion

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 am

Get a 170, go to Harvard. hth

icydash

Postby icydash » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:09 am

Really? I knew being a URM would help but i never imagined it'd be worth 9-10 LSAT points (the difference between Duke's 169 median and the hypothetical 160 score).

...if that's really true, not trying to be offensive here, but that's a little ridiculous. If the color of your skin/background counts for that much...i mean i know there's a lot of socioeconomic factors at play....but seriously that's ridiculous. That's all i will say about that.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:12 am

icydash wrote:Really? I knew being a URM would help but i never imagined it'd be worth 9-10 LSAT points (the difference between Duke's 169 median and the hypothetical 160 score).

...if that's really true, not trying to be offensive here, but that's a little ridiculous. If the color of your skin/background counts for that much...i mean i know there's a lot of socioeconomic factors at play....but seriously that's ridiculous. That's all i will say about that.

Thanks for your opinion

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:13 am

icydash wrote:Really? I knew being a URM would help but i never imagined it'd be worth 9-10 LSAT points (the difference between Duke's 169 median and the hypothetical 160 score).

jealous much???

icydash

Postby icydash » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:23 am

JustDude wrote:

jealous much???

extremely. you aren't? Right now i'd be applying to Harvard with my 164 instead of American.

wocehtoom

Postby wocehtoom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:41 am

Last edited by wocehtoom on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:44 am

icydash wrote:
JustDude wrote:

jealous much???

extremely. you aren't? Right now i'd be applying to Harvard with my 164 instead of American.

Me??/ Never. Why would I be???

Good news. You still can apply to Harvard with your 164...

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:44 am

Last edited by Doritos on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:47 am

Doritos wrote:Wait, is this turning into a thread about how terrible Affirmative Action is? Well...

Ha. Everytime someone posts magic words "black male", this debate starts.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:50 am

wocehtoom wrote:I empathize with your disbelief about the enormous URM boost. Want to see something sick? go to lawschoolpredictor and enter your numbers - then click on the urm box. I pray I can use my law degree to change this kind of baloney

Did you have to take a diversity class for your PS major? Like Gender and race in politics or something like that?

And how is your law degree going to be able to change how law schools admit applicants?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:51 am

wocehtoom wrote:I empathize with your disbelief about the enormous URM boost. Want to see something sick? go to lawschoolpredictor and enter your numbers - then click on the urm box. I pray I can use my law degree to change this kind of baloney

Yeah. Because law school should be forced to only admit white students, right?

wocehtoom

Postby wocehtoom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:57 am

Last edited by wocehtoom on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:58 am

wocehtoom wrote:
Kronk wrote:

law schools should be forced to admit the most qualified applicants irrespective of the color of their skin. You don't solve racism with more racism. You end up with Obama in the White House.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:02 am

wocehtoom wrote:
Kronk wrote:

law schools should be forced to admit the most qualified applicants irrespective of the color of their skin. You don't solve racism with more racism. You end up with Obama in the White House.

Kronk, I'm disappointed:
DFTT

To OP: good luck.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:03 am

I wonder if this would be a prime example of someone may get dinged for stupid comments on the Internet...

liberty

Postby liberty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:06 am

Brother I would like to just say that I endorse your bid for a spot at Duke Law School.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:06 am

wocehtoom wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Obama in WH is a result of white liberals feeling guilty. AA makes whites feel less guilty. Without AA you would finish up with Jesse Jackson in WH>

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:10 am

r6_philly wrote:I wonder if this would be a prime example of someone may get dinged for stupid comments on the Internet...

Haha if an adcomm cares enough, it'd be fairly easy to trace the application...

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:12 am

los blancos wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I wonder if this would be a prime example of someone may get dinged for stupid comments on the Internet...

Haha if an adcomm cares enough, it'd be fairly easy to trace the application...

I was traced once. I was invited to HLS without even applying

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:18 am

wocehtoom wrote:
Kronk wrote:

and how do we determine who is "most qualified"?

Return to “What are my chances?”