New, please help!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MPMP

Re: New, please help!

Postby MPMP » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Just a word of encouragement; I went into my LSAT prep thinking if I could get over a 160 I would be in good shape, and my dream score was a 166. Once I had studied for a month or so I realized that I was aiming too low, and my practice test max was a 172. I ended up getting a 169 on the real thing, and gave myself a shot at some of the lower T14 schools. Don't limit your expectations before you start practicing, and, like they said, shoot for the best score you can get. Where you end up really depends on how you do on the LSAT.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:48 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
toolshed wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Ethan Edwards wrote:
All you can do is try your damndest on the LSAT, and see what you get. You could kill the thing and have a shot at Northwestern.

The guy has a shot at CCN on down.

Am I missing something?

yeah...the hypothetical LSAT score that could range anywhere from 120 to 180 lol

3.5 GPA 180 LSAT definitely has a shot at CCN on down

This is what I am getting at. OP, at this point you are girl with a degree, some decent softs, a non-LSAC GPA that can vary wildly, and no LSAT score. Study, aim for 180, get a good score, then start worrying about where you can go.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:53 pm

kmreed1 wrote:Hmm I didn't know that about IUB--that they didnt have good job prospects, I mean. Are there any other schools you can suggest I should look at that are in the midwest? I have been searching many different schools, but it is good to get advice from people who know things like that-things they don't advertise on the websites.

IU has much better job placement and prospects than Desert Fox gives it credit for. Don't believe everything people tell you. Do your own research.

kmreed1

Postby kmreed1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:02 pm

This is what I am getting at. OP, at this point you are girl with a degree, some decent softs, a non-LSAC GPA that can vary wildly, and no LSAT score. Study, aim for 180, get a good score, then start worrying about where you can go.[/quote]

Sorry, didnt mean to start asking for advice without solid numbers. I actually figured out my LSAC GPA was a 3.49-- I guess I just wanted some advice on how realistic my goals were.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:06 pm

kmreed1 wrote:Sorry, didnt mean to start asking for advice without solid numbers. I actually figured out my LSAC GPA was a 3.49-- I guess I just wanted some advice on how realistic my goals were.

My point is, you will probably find that your goals will change dramatically depending on what your LSAT score is. My target schools moved up quite a bit on the basis of my LSAT score.

Don't sweat about the schools yet and just focus on the test--which will more or less determine how realistic your goals are.

gochrisgo

Postby gochrisgo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:20 pm

_
Last edited by gochrisgo on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:30 pm

toolshed wrote:
kmreed1 wrote:Sorry, didnt mean to start asking for advice without solid numbers. I actually figured out my LSAC GPA was a 3.49-- I guess I just wanted some advice on how realistic my goals were.

My point is, you will probably find that your goals will change dramatically depending on what your LSAT score is. My target schools moved up quite a bit on the basis of my LSAT score.

Don't sweat about the schools yet and just focus on the test--which will more or less determine how realistic your goals are.

+1

before i started even practicing for the LSAT, i had a set of schools in mind - safeties, targets, reaches, etc.

kind of a waste of time since after i started practicing the LSAT (and of course my actual LSAT score) changed my expectations

same will/can happen to you

kmreed1

Postby kmreed1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Thank you very much for the advice-- I know thats true, I will most def. change my mind after my scores come out! I guess I just have my heart set on going to school in Indiana or close to. Lol But I want the best education possible, so if I get a score that can get me into a better school than IU, I will, of course, want to attend the best school possible.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:38 pm

165+ and you're in.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:53 pm

kmreed1 wrote:Also do you think its smart to apply for early admission to IUB

You could theoretically take the June LSAT and apply for admission for the upcoming school year. Its not an ideal situation, but Indiana would definitely listen if you were to email (edit: call) them now and state your desire to attend next year. Obviously, a good LSAT will make them more likely to consider admitting you.

Indiana is actually one of the few schools that would allow you to attempt this. I personally know someone who got in with a 164, 3.6 after taking the June LSAT and applying in July. She got a pretty good scholarship too, from what I recall.
Actually... --> http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Titus

Indiana is pushing hard to increase their prestige, so they're more willing to take an unorthodox gamble like this. Given that you can always retake/reapply, I don't know if there's much of a downside to trying this approach. Particularly if you're interested in Indiana, contacting them now and informing them of your intentions might be to your advantage anyway.

Now... my general advice is to take your time, do it right and get into the best school you can. But if you're sure and don't want to wait a year, you should try this option. In-state at Indiana is not a bad option.

kmreed1

Postby kmreed1 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice! youve calmed my fears and now im heavily preparing for the lsat!~ Ill keep you posted on what happens! :)

Return to “What are my chances?”