Boston Schools

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
FuManChusco

Boston Schools

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:51 pm

I know hypotheticals are useless and splitters are unpredictable, but at the same time I'd like to know if my hopes are realistic. GPA is a lousy 2.7. I'm about a month in to studying for the June LSATs and PT scores are high 160s - low 170s. Just wondering what score I would need to have a decent chance at BU/BC or $$$ from Northeastern. I know there are plenty of splitter schools with good rankings, but I'd like to stay/work in the region and a T14 seems unlikely at best.

Also, on topic, is it easier to take a law degree back to a state of former residence than it would be to take it somewhere else. Would living in Mass my whole life allow me to take a WUSTL or UIUC degree back to Mass? Can't really picture myself living and working in the midwest for the rest of my life, but BU/BC seems out of reach with my gpa and I know the motto is go to the best law school possible.

Sean Bateman

Re: Boston Schools

Postby Sean Bateman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:05 pm

with that GPA, BU/BC seems unrealistic in my opinion, even with a stellar LSAT. But here I find myself eating my own words and offering you a glimmer of hope....
I have a good friend.
2.9, 166. He will be starting at BC in the fall. The thing is, his was an extreme upward trend (Straight A's for the last 3 years or so), so it's possible they took that into consideration

For what it's worth, the only one I applied to was Northeastern and they gave me 8.5k/year with a 3.4/165

As to your question about being easier to go practice in your home state after attending law school in a different state, I have never heard anything like that but it seems possible. i'd like to hear a more informed answer on that myself, great question.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Yeah, I know schools obviously recruit heavily on local campuses and top regional schools do well. It seems a lot of places don't hire due to flight risk though. Seems like if you've always lived in a state and have close family there, this wouldn't be of any concern to the firm. Obviously I'd rather go to WUSTL than Northeastern, but if I'm set on living in Boston, which is the better option? I probably should just stop worrying about this until I get an LSAT score, haha.

ODBCP

Postby ODBCP » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:36 am

With a 2.7, you'd need to destroy the LSAT for a shot at either school. 170 would maybe get you on some WLs but there's no telling whether you'd get off them.

With a 2.8, a decent upward trend (>3.5 for a while), and a 170 Dec LSAT, I applied in Jan to both of those, and realistically, I don't think I'll get in straight away to either of them. Probably gonna be playin waitlist limbo well into the summer, but BC, BU and Fordham are at the top of my list and I hope I'll end up at one of them.

Good luck, kill that LSAT and you'll have a fighting shot. Splitting sucks, but its better than nothin.

Return to “What are my chances?”