What are good "softs"? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gatorlion

Bronze

Re: What are good "softs"?

Post by gatorlion » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
holydonkey wrote:a graduate degree with a high gpa. foreign language fluency. some schools like community service.
Is it really possible that a grad degree with a high GPA matters? It would be nice; I have an MA in Constitutional Law Studies with a 3.9 GPA. I was told repeatedly that it wouldn't matter, which is fine because I wasn't thinking about law school applications so much as wanting to study something I was interested in.
I think most grad degrees are meh for law school, but yours will actually probably be a considerable benefit to you. Kudos.
If you're MA is in a cognate discipline to what you intend to practice FTW =)

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Xiaolong wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
holydonkey wrote:a graduate degree with a high gpa. foreign language fluency. some schools like community service.
Is it really possible that a grad degree with a high GPA matters? It would be nice; I have an MA in Constitutional Law Studies with a 3.9 GPA. I was told repeatedly that it wouldn't matter, which is fine because I wasn't thinking about law school applications so much as wanting to study something I was interested in.
No. Everybody has a graduate degree, and everybody speaks a foreign language. Only truly extraordinary things will give you a significant bump.

Americans tend to claim fluency in a foreign language when they can order a cup of coffee and tell the cab driver the way home. As such, I think actual fluency in a foreign language is a good soft that certainly not everyone has as opposed to the two-semesters-in-college fluency.

By the way cool pic - I like Mr. Bean.
I totally agree. I've heard countless stories of getting fluent during spring semester abroad. Still, law schools don't really verify your command of the language and pretty much have to take you at your word, so it's hard to distinguish between legitimate bilingual speakers and people like that.

Also, it's not Mr. Bean. Not sure if that was a joke or not. It's Spanish Prime Minister Zapatero.

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:11 pm

gatorlion wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
No. Everybody has a graduate degree, and everybody speaks a foreign language. Only truly extraordinary things will give you a significant bump.
If by everyone you mean a max of 20% of the matriculants at any given law school. LOLZ
Clearly I didn't mean everyone. Even if it's only 20%, a soft shared by 1 of every 5 people is certainly not extraordinary. I'm pretty sure OP wanted to hear about game-changing softs, like ninja and Ghostbuster. However, I admit that I totally overlooked the MA mentioned above; that might actually help you out.

Eieio

New

Post by Eieio » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:56 am

Veyron wrote:
holydonkey wrote: a doctorate [strike]graduate degree with a high gpa. foreign language fluency. some schools like community service.[/[/strike]quote]

FTFY
[/quote]

Have a doctorate in a language heavy discipline (5 languages not including english); splitter on LSAT/GPA.

While I can't be certain, my experience so far leads me to believe that the grad degree and work experience has kept me on WLs at schools I should have been rejected from based on my ungrad GPA.

Dunno if that information is useful to anyone. And, hey, my speculation could be completely off the mark.

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:13 pm

I built a Flux Capacitor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Ragged wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

How about 3 foreign with various degrees of fluency? Does everyone speak that too?
It only counts if you can speak russian...in french

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Ragged wrote: Being a future leader of the resistence against the machines.
Only if your t800 did all your work in UG, otherwise your GPA sux but u would have a killer addendum to write...

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:57 pm

nyyankees wrote:It only counts if you can speak russian...in french
+1

Stay thirsty, my friends.

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:00 pm

ccs1702 wrote:Military experience, peace corps, TFA, founding a multi-million dollar company, olympic athlete, astronaut, Ghostbuster, ninja.

Mr. Bean or Zapatero, or both...???

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”