What are good "softs"?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bdubs

What are good "softs"?

Postby bdubs » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:03 am

I read things about good "softs" giving people a bump. Does anyone know what kind of things T14 schools consider to be good softs? I am looking for examples of people who seem to have gotten a bump because of softs.

Mr. Matlock

Re: What are good "softs"?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:05 am

Some kid around here claims to be able to fart the Star Spangled Banner.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:20 am

Military experience, peace corps, TFA, founding a multi-million dollar company, olympic athlete, astronaut, Ghostbuster, ninja.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:23 am

Yes. Shape your UG experience around things that may or may not give you a bump in law school admissions. We all did it. That's why were all at top law schools.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:25 am

a graduate degree with a high gpa. foreign language fluency. some schools like community service.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:26 am

ccs1702 wrote:Military experience, peace corps, TFA, founding a multi-million dollar company, olympic athlete, astronaut, Ghostbuster, ninja.

Ghostbuster would be a REALLY cool soft!

eaters333

Postby eaters333 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:31 am

What if you are a ninja ghostbuster who worked for peace corps while starting up a multimillion dollar ghost extermination franchise?

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:33 am

eaters333 wrote:What if you are a ninja ghostbuster who worked for peace corps while starting up a multimillion dollar ghost extermination franchise?

pshaw! everyone knows that's impossible. Peace Corps doesn't hire ninja ghostbusters.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:39 am

eaters333 wrote:What if you are a ninja ghostbuster who worked for peace corps while starting up a multimillion dollar ghost extermination franchise?

Only if you light the Olympic torch while docked at the International Space Station.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:47 am

holydonkey wrote:a graduate degree with a high gpa. foreign language fluency. some schools like community service.

Is it really possible that a grad degree with a high GPA matters? It would be nice; I have an MA in Constitutional Law Studies with a 3.9 GPA. I was told repeatedly that it wouldn't matter, which is fine because I wasn't thinking about law school applications so much as wanting to study something I was interested in.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:51 am

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
holydonkey wrote:a graduate degree with a high gpa. foreign language fluency. some schools like community service.

Is it really possible that a grad degree with a high GPA matters? It would be nice; I have an MA in Constitutional Law Studies with a 3.9 GPA. I was told repeatedly that it wouldn't matter, which is fine because I wasn't thinking about law school applications so much as wanting to study something I was interested in.

No. Everybody has a graduate degree, and everybody speaks a foreign language. Only truly extraordinary things will give you a significant bump.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:52 am

Getting papers published in journals, founding a charity, having a full time job through UG. Being a future leader of the resistence against the machines. (watching Terminator2 atm)

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:53 am

ccs1702 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

No. Everybody has a graduate degree, and everybody speaks a foreign language. Only truly extraordinary things will give you a significant bump.

How about 3 foreign with various degrees of fluency? Does everyone speak that too?

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:57 am

Ragged wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

How about 3 foreign with various degrees of fluency? Does everyone speak that too?

I would say three foreign languages is a pretty good soft. I think some work experience that requires one to speak them would be more impressive, though.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:57 am

ccs1702 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That's what I figured. Got me good LORs, though. Still, probably should have spent that year training as a ninja instead.

Ragged wrote:Getting papers published in journals, founding a charity, having a full time job through UG. Being a future leader of the resistence against the machines. (watching Terminator2 atm)

Again, though, does the full-time job really mean anything? I had one through undergrad and grad school (plus TA during grad school). I have a feeling that, once again, it doesn't matter.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:05 am

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

It won't matter in terms of gpa, but it's not a bad soft. After you get past lsac gpa, lsat score, urm status, military, work experience and really get into the soft category of factors, I think it can help. It helps most in securing good fresh letters of recommendation, but having a strong grad gpa can also put distance between subpar undergrad work and your current ability.

I got into Michigan recently with 25% undergrad gpa and 50% lsat. I'm convinced grad school had something to do with it.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:23 am

Olympic Gold Medal.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:01 am

dextermorgan wrote:Olympic Gold Medal.

Which gets me back to a Curling discussion I had earlier. Curling brusher FTW! I could do that.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:30 am

a 180 on the LSAT instead of a 179

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:39 am

[quote="holydonkey"] a doctorate [strike]graduate degree with a high gpa. foreign language fluency. some schools like community service.[/[/strike]quote]

FTFY

Xiaolong

Postby Xiaolong » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:02 am

ccs1702 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Americans tend to claim fluency in a foreign language when they can order a cup of coffee and tell the cab driver the way home. As such, I think actual fluency in a foreign language is a good soft that certainly not everyone has as opposed to the two-semesters-in-college fluency.

By the way cool pic - I like Mr. Bean.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:13 am

ccs1702 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If by everyone you mean a max of 20% of the matriculants at any given law school. LOLZ

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:26 am

That just counts as WE, and is only really helpful at Northwestern.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:31 am

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I think most grad degrees are meh for law school, but yours will actually probably be a considerable benefit to you. Kudos.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 am

HYPSM undergrad

Return to “What are my chances?”