Joint degree program Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sconnielaw13

Bronze

Joint degree program

Post by sconnielaw13 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:51 am

Last edited by sconnielaw13 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Gold

Re: Joint degree program

Post by im_blue » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:16 am

If anything, joint degree programs tend to be more selective, since you have to satisfy the requirements for both programs.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:42 am

$0.02:

Showing interest in a joint degree program offered through the law school and some other department at IU might be a slight plus, but it'll never overcome obvious weaknesses in an application. I'm not exactly sure which joint degree program you're pursuing, but as to the JD/MBA program, you still need to secure admission at both schools (Kelley + Maurer). For instance, if you have a 99th percentile GMAT score but barely hit LSAT median, you probably won't gain admission to the law school unless your GPA offsets that weakness. Maurer's applicant profile definitely suggests that they care about numbers more than soft factors. But showing a sense of direction and purpose never hurts, I suppose.

Also:

What joint degree program are you interested in? I'm interested in coupling my JD with another degree (not a social science degree, though), and would like to hear about what others have in mind in that regard.

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:47 am

I have also looked into joint-degree programs. While not at U of I, I think I'm heading for a JD/MBA. Top two choices are W&M and U of Richmond. Chances at W&M law are slim, so getting into business school first and attending that for a year might allow me to retake LSAT in June or September and apply another cycle assuming my score improves. Virtually all schools require one full year of one school followed by another full year of the other schoo, with the last two years of law and last year of business mixed. Fortunately, many don't care which full year you do first. In my case, since I have a much better shot at business school, I can use that to wait another cycle for law school acceptance. Just a thought.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:49 am

Agreed. I tried to do this last year, but the Business School drew out their decision for such a long time that I ultimately withdrew from both.

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:53 am

Fair enough. My situation is rather unique in that I'm getting married in May and moving to Virginia (fiance is NROTC and will be stationed in Norfolk) either way. So I can wait a bit longer than most given that geographically I'm pretty much stuck to this one area and have to end up at a nearby school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”